Rams give Brandin Cooks 5 year extension

RamRod

6 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Again I’m just going off reports and the Rams are great at managing the cap and being creative with it. So if the plan was to extend Cooks first then Donald then I’m ok with that. At the end of the day they’ve said from day 1 they have Donald money. Sometimes it’s a process that won’t happen right this second. Donald will get done trust me. 

Yeah, Franchise tag will probably be the cheapest option they may just go that route for a couple years.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

I like Cooks more than Watkins too but I don't know if I'd be thrilled to give either of them #1 money. If you have it, spend it much like the Browns did with Landry but if you have other big contracts coming up I'd be a little less enthusiastic about the contract. We still have to see how everyone fits in their roles before we know if they are overpaid though. I think Brees was the perfect QB for Cooks I don't think he will ever be as effective as he was then but most receivers aren't. It certainly has been the year of the slot receiver.

Cooks isn't a slot WR. And I trust McVay to make the call on which players are most integral to his offense (and, thus, worth paying).

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Cooks isn't a slot WR. And I trust McVay to make the call on which players are most integral to his offense (and, thus, worth paying).

Not exclusively and neither is Watkins but both will play a lot of slot it appears with their current rosters and Cooks has always played a lot from the slot, at least with the Saints. Not in a Wes Welker type role though more of a deep threat slot receiver so it will be interesting to see how it works out with the Rams.

34 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

#12? Yuck

That's a ton of money, but good for him. I'd rather sign Donald first but whatever..

It's not that simple. I'm sure the Rams would love to sign Donald first, but Donald is a more complicated re-sign.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Not exclusively and neither is Watkins but both will play a lot of slot it appears with their current rosters and Cooks has always played a lot from the slot, at least with the Saints. Not in a Wes Welker type role though more of a deep threat slot receiver so it will be interesting to see how it works out with the Rams.

That's not accurate. McVay prefers his deep threat to be the X WR. Cooks is going to spend the majority of his time outside. He's not a slot WR.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's not that simple. I'm sure the Rams would love to sign Donald first, but Donald is a more complicated re-sign.

Is he though? You can lock up Cooks at any point throughout the season (after Donald), much like Alshon and the Eagles. That's money taken away from signing the Best Defensive Player in the NFL. Someone who is watching Player after player after player get there's first. Just saying.

I'm going to assume though the money do Cooks on the books this year is lowered and the rest is going towards Donald's eventual cap number for 2018. Guess we'll see.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Is he though? You can lock up Cooks at any point throughout the season (after Donald), much like Alshon and the Eagles. That's money taken away from signing the Best Defensive Player in the NFL. Someone who is watching Player after player after player get there's first. Just saying.

I'm going to assume though the money do Cooks on the books this year is lowered and the rest is going towards Donald's eventual cap number for 2018. Guess we'll see.

That's not money taken away from Donald. That's not how it works. They didn't want to lock up Cooks at any point in the season. They wanted to lock him and Donald up before the season starts. But with Donald and Mack both wanting to set the market, the Rams and Raiders are stuck in a game of chicken. So yes, Donald is a complicated re-sign because there isn't a market value for his services right now. And I guarantee you that Donald doesn't care about Cooks getting paid if the Rams are true to their word (that they are currently negotiating with Donald and committed to getting him signed before the season).

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:
4 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

'm interested to see how Brandin Cooks does when Tom Brady or Drew Brees are not throwing him passes.

He's had the old bull. Now, he wants the young calf.

The old bull's threw dime's, let's see how he does catching Cow Patties from Goff.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Donald doesn't care about Cooks getting if the Rams are true to their word (that they are currently negotiating with Donald and committed to getting him signed before the season).

Key word is highlighted. Hope they do because it could get ugly if they don't and make Pittsburgh/Bell like excuses.

Archived