The NFC East hasn't had a repeat Division winner since 2003/04 season. Will that continue?

aceinthehouse

4 minutes ago, Gmen said:

There is nothing to backtrack.  NFL skill position rankings : 

1. Steelers

2. Giants

3. Falcons

Minnesota?  You’d trade OBJ, Barkley, Engram for Diggs, Theilen, Cook?  Really? 

You forgot Vikings pro bowl TE Kyle Rudolph.  And yes, I would.  Even if OBJ comes back from his ACL tear 100%, I've never trusted him to stay healthy.  This is why for the first time since he was drafted, I had OBJ outside of my top five WR rankings.  These injuries add up over time and the GIants have a fairly recent history of rapid drop off in "star" receivers. 

7 minutes ago, Crickett said:

You forgot Vikings pro bowl TE Kyle Rudolph.  And yes, I would.  Even if OBJ comes back from his ACL tear 100%, I've never trusted him to stay healthy.  This is why for the first time since he was drafted, I had OBJ outside of my top five WR rankings.  These injuries add up over time and the GIants have a fairly recent history of rapid drop off in "star" receivers. 

OBJ is coming off an ankle injury not ACL and he’s already a full go. No reason to believe there will be a drop off.  Engram, as a rookie had a better year than Rudolph last year.  Barkley and Cook are unproven but Barkley is easily the better prospect.  Agree to disagree on Minnesota 

1 minute ago, Gmen said:

OBJ is coming off an ankle injury not ACL and he’s already a full go. No reason to believe there will be a drop off.  Engram, as a rookie had a better year than Rudolph last year.  Barkley and Cook are unproven but Barkley is easily the better prospect.  Agree to disagree on Minnesota 

My mistake on OBJ.  But he's always been dinged up going back to his rookie season.  He's the only player I think I've ever seen limp off the field after doing a full touchdown dance. 

Agree to disagree on Engram. 

Lol at @Gmen bragging about OBJ-Barkley-Engram. 

Cool bro. You have a top 5 skill position trio.

But your offense still has zero depth anywhere, a 37 QB who has been rapidly declining over the years, and an OL that is still bottom 5 despite being "substantially improved".

Id much rather have the Eagles offense over the Giants'. No doubt in my mind.

Youre going to have a rough awakening when you finally realize that Pat Shurmur is an awful HC and overrated OC

20 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Lol at @Gmen bragging about OBJ-Barkley-Engram. 

Cool bro. You have a top 5 skill position trio.

But your offense still has zero depth anywhere, a 37 QB who has been rapidly declining over the years, and an OL that is still bottom 5 despite being "substantially improved".

Id much rather have the Eagles offense over the Giants'. No doubt in my mind.

Youre going to have a rough awakening when you finally realize that Pat Shurmur is an awful HC and overrated OC

Sterling Shepard is a very good slot receiver with 1400 yards and 10 TDs in his first two seasons despite missing time due to injuries.  My point in bringing up the skill positions is that it will make Eli’s job much easier.

You’re judging Eli on last season in which he lost his top 3 receivers and had the worst running game in the league.  The three years prior to that he averaged 4200 yards and 30 TDs.  His demise has greatly been exaggerated.  And now, for the first time in about 8 years, he’ll finally have a respectable running game to take the pressure off.

Furthermore, the Eagles blow massive chunks and just got lucky last year.  

14 minutes ago, Gmen said:

You’re judging Eli on last season in which he lost his top 3 receivers and had the worst running game in the league.  The three years prior to that he averaged 4200 yards and 30 TDs.  His demise has greatly been exaggerated. 

Take a look at this chart from Pro Football Reference and note the trend: steady decline over the last 3 years in:

Completions/Attempts/Completion % / yards / TDs/ Yards per attempt/ Average yards per attempt / Yards per game/ Passer rating / QBR/ Net Yards per attempt. That's rather illuminating and sheds some light on the idea that it was just a 1 year thing tied to WR injuries

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

Eli is in decline and trying to learn a new offense while simultaneously facing a gauntlet of top teams to start the season:

Jags, at Dallas, at Texans, Saints, at Panthers, Eagles, at Falcons.

I'm pretty confident that if the Redskins can stay moderately healthy, that they can win the NFC East. The fact they won 7 games last year with the rash of injuries they had could be considered a miracle, really.

Alex can & will win games. He's smart & plays smart. Much better leader than Cousins & can avoid sacks much better with his legs. Even @34 yrs old.

PFF has our O-line ranked #12. Personally, I think its top 10 EASILY. Louveao (LG) just sucks something awful.

We have the best TE combo in the NFL. At least from receiving point of view. (Jordan Reed & Vernon Davis)

We now have a running game with Guice & Thompson to compliment him in passing situations.

Our WR situation is unknown. Doctson is unproven, Paul Richardson really is as well & Crowder is coming off a tough season. All 3 are VERY talented, but young. But Gruden can somehow get anyone wide open in his offensive scheme. But it is a question mark.

But lets say they ARE average at best?

With a good line, 2 vet play making TE's, a franchise type rookie RB & a play making #2, with a veteran like Alex Smith? I'll take my chances.

Defensively? We've seriously upgraded our D-Line. It went from being weak a few years ago, to being a strength. Just like that! We have 6 guys who can play in that rotation. (Allen, Payne, Ionittus, Settle, Hood & Taylor)

Our Linebackers are very strong. (Kerrigan & Brown) especially

D-backs are pretty good. Even WITH Fuller traded.

Not to mention we may have found a diamond in the rough in the supplemental draft.

If the Redskins stay fairly healthy, they're gonna win some games.

They kick off the season with Arizona, Indianapolis & Green bay before their early bye week.

I wont be shocked, if we start off 3-0 or 2-1.

@Yin-Yang I was waiting for "that guy" to show up.  Fantasy football provides excellent player rankings because it's unbiased.  Why is it unbiased?  Because it's fans from various different teams, and  there is money to be made.  There are football fans putting down cold hard cash (in my case $100 per league), and they're betting that Saquon Barkley and Odell Beckham will be top producers this season.   You can sit here and tell me that the Jaguars and Vikings have better offensive talent than the Giants with nothing to lose.  But people that actually have cash on the line have spoken, and they wholeheartedly disagree. 

Here are the average fantasy draft positions to date

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

@Yin-Yang I was waiting for "that guy" to show up.  Fantasy football provides excellent player rankings because it's unbiased.  Why is it unbiased?  Because it's fans from various different teams, and  there is money to be made.  There are football fans putting down cold hard cash (in my case $100 per league), and they're betting that Saquon Barkley and Odell Beckham will be top producers this season.   You can sit here and tell me that the Jaguars and Vikings have better offensive talent than the Giants with nothing to lose.  But people that actually have cash on the line have spoken, and they wholeheartedly disagree. 

Here are the average fantasy draft positions to date

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp

Okay, so I’ll break this one down by piece...

1) Apparently I think the Jags and Vikings have more offensive talent (which isn’t even the exact argument you were having, ha!) than the Giants - you got all that from a gif I posted. Straw man territory.

2) Fantasy football projections are in no way, shape, or form an indicator of actual player rankings. Best case scenario for you, they project production but when has production been the end-all for player rankings? Even then, mixing positions (in FF based on scoring) doesn’t make sense.

3) Fantasy football projections can vary depending on who you ask and what kind of league you’re in. So if the projections were some sort of football power ranking (they aren’t) then the fact that they’re unreliable makes them pointless. Using them as a debating point here is laughable. 

4) Implying that somehow I have more bias than fantasy football fans across the board simply because I don’t put money into it (which you have zero idea if I actually do or do not) is funny. I don’t care about the Giants, the Jaguars, the Vikings, or any of the other teams in this discussion. It’s probably easier for you to just assume that, though. 

5) Assuming that, because “they” have money on the line (and again, I just...don’t, for some reason), that “they” must be right. I don’t appeal to the authority of fantasy football. 

giphy.gif

@Yin-Yang I’m not going to go down your rabbit hole on fantasy football. That’s a response that belongs on /r/iamverysmart. Bottom line is that there is a very strong correlation between my offensive skill position rankings, and fantasy football rankings. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.  If you disagree with my original point that the Giants have the 2nd best offensive skill positions in the league, I’ll debate that with you, as long as you drop the obnoxious gifs 

11 minutes ago, Gmen said:

@Yin-Yang I’m not going to go down your rabbit hole on fantasy football. That’s a response that belongs on /r/iamverysmart. Bottom line is that there is a very strong correlation between my offensive skill position rankings, and fantasy football rankings. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.  If you disagree with my original point that the Giants have the 2nd best offensive skill positions in the league, I’ll debate that with you, as long as you drop the obnoxious gifs 

You brought it up, sir. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It’s an appeal to an authority that I don’t respect. Saying they have two top 10 skills position guys is wrong, and using fantasy to back it up is actually funny.

Especially since you’re defending Eli and I have to imagine his fantasy rank is awful. But let me guess, [insert far fetched notion that makes Eli exempt from fantasy rankings]?

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

You brought it up, sir. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It’s an appeal to an authority that I don’t respect. Saying they have two top 10 skills position guys is wrong, and using fantasy to back it up is actually funny.

Especially since you’re defending Eli and I have to imagine his fantasy rank is awful. But let me guess, [insert far fetched notion that makes Eli exempt from fantasy rankings]?

Eli is going undrafted in fantasy leagues.  People are skeptical due to his age and last season, which I’ll argue was a product of everyone else around him sucking and injuries.  But I believe he’s still a good quarterback and his job will be much easier this year due to the talent around him. I think he can have a resurgence. So if you’re looking for a fantasy sleeper, give him a shot

Archived