The NFC East hasn't had a repeat Division winner since 2003/04 season. Will that continue?

aceinthehouse

You never know what's going to happen, but I would think the Cowboys are the only team that can dethrone the Eagles.  This is tough because the Eagles are by far the best team in the division, but football is really odd.  Every year there are a few teams that really underachieve and every year there are a few teams that are surprises.  Maybe the Eagles fall back down to earth a bit and the Cowboys rise now that Zeke might be there all season long.

Also, Washington has Alex Smith now, so maybe they are a slightly better team.  Maybe they can win a few really close games that they lost last season.  The Giants are improved, but they don't have a quarterback, so I don't give them much of a chance here.

The NFC South is kind of like this division as well.  Never really know what you're going to get from any of the teams in that division.

Yes Eli is 37 but the Giants arguably have more offensive weapons around him than anyone in the league outside of Pittsburgh.  It sort of hit me when I had a fantasy football draft and OBJ was the 2nd receiver selected, Saquon was the 5th running back selected, and Engram was the 4rth tight end selected.  The offensive line was rebuilt.  The new coaching staff took Case Keenum, Jerrick McKinnon and Adam Theilen to the playoffs.  I have high expectations for what they can do with the offensive talent on the Giants.

The defense has some question marks on depth, but just two years ago this was a top 5 defense led by Landon Collins, Janoris Jenkins, Olivier Vernon and Snacks Harrison.  All four guys got first or second team all-pro honors that season.  Not sure how many defenses around the league can make a similar claim, but i'll bet it's only a handful.  They invested in the LB corp a bit with Alec Ogletree who at the very least can move.  They drafted three defensive guys in the third round in Lorenzo Carter, BJ Hill and Sam Beal will work into the rotation and provide depth.

Bottom line is I believe there is something to be excited about with the Giants despite the dysfunctional, injury riddled 2017 season.

The more I think about it the more I like the Giants in this division. The last 2-3 teams to win this division were teams no one expected. The Giants were banged up last year that really effected them. They still have a lot of the defensive players they had a few years ago when they were a top 5 defense and if the offensive players they added can contribute then I like this teams chances along with OBJ returning. 

A lot of people like to crap on Eli but this current offensive roster is one of the most talented he has had in a long while. 

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Yes Eli is 37

Here is Evan Silva from rotoworld with his preview of Eli Manning and the New York Giants for the 2018 season

Passing Game Outlook

Eli Manning enters his age-37 campaign with descending yards per attempt (7.3 > 7.2 > 6.7 > 6.1) and QBRs (62.5 > 60.5 > 49.3 > 41.7) in four straight years. Last season, Manning finished dead last among 34 qualifiers in both PFF’s Accuracy Percentage (26.7%) and QB rating (38.8) on throws 20-plus yards downfield. One other concern is facing the NFL’s fourth-toughest schedule, including the league’s hardest Weeks 1-7 slate.

2018 Vegas Win Total

The Giants’ Win Total opened at 6.5 (-130), a number the G-Men failed to beat in three of the past four years. One big concern is New York’s season potentially going off the rails during a Weeks 1-7 gauntlet (vs. JAX, @ DAL, @ HOU, vs. NO, @ CAR, vs. PHI, @ ATL) that could theoretically threaten Eli Manning’s job security should the Giants start, say, 2-5 or 1-6. New systems are being installed on both sides of the ball, including DC James Bettcher’s 3-4 system for which the Giants don’t yet have quality personnel, especially in outside pass rush, man-coverage corners, and dime linebacker. New coach Pat Shurmur did design a ball-out-quick, high-percentage passing game in Minnesota that helped offset pass-protection deficiencies, which his new team is sure to have. Even for as devoted to resuscitating Eli has ownership and Gettleman have been, I think the likeliest 2018 outcome is Manning’s exposure as a washed player and New York’s need to turn the page, perhaps as early as the Giants’ Week 9 bye. I’m taking the under."

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/80849/59/offseason-low-down

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

Yes Eli is 37 but the Giants arguably have more offensive weapons around him than anyone in the league outside of Pittsburgh.  It sort of hit me when I had a fantasy football draft and OBJ was the 2nd receiver selected, Saquon was the 5th running back selected, and Engram was the 4rth tight end selected.  The offensive line was rebuilt.  The new coaching staff took Case Keenum, Jerrick McKinnon and Adam Theilen to the playoffs.  I have high expectations for what they can do with the offensive talent on the Giants.

The defense has some question marks on depth, but just two years ago this was a top 5 defense led by Landon Collins, Janoris Jenkins, Olivier Vernon and Snacks Harrison.  All four guys got first or second team all-pro honors that season.  Not sure how many defenses around the league can make a similar claim, but i'll bet it's only a handful.  They invested in the LB corp a bit with Alec Ogletree who at the very least can move.  They drafted three defensive guys in the third round in Lorenzo Carter, BJ Hill and Sam Beal will work into the rotation and provide depth.

Bottom line is I believe there is something to be excited about with the Giants despite the dysfunctional, injury riddled 2017 season.

Where is your pass rush coming from on defense, outside of Vernon (who puts up good bulk stats when given a high volume)?

And sure the offensive line was rebuilt, but it still looks like a bottom 5 OL to me.

And, yeah, Eli...

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

Yes Eli is 37 but the Giants arguably have more offensive weapons around him than anyone in the league outside of Pittsburgh.

Or Jacksonville.

Or Carolina.

Or Philadelphia.

Or Chicago.

Or Tampa Bay.

Or Los Angeles (Chargers) before the Hunter Henry injury. 

33 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

And sure the offensive line was rebuilt, but it still looks like a bottom 5 OL to me.

Sorry, but I wouldn't agree with this either.

Buffalo

Cleveland

Houston

Seattle

Arizona

Miami

New York (Jets)

Cincinnati (to be fair, I would be very surprised if Cordy Glenn stays healthy.)

15 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Sorry, but I wouldn't agree with this either.

Buffalo

Cleveland

Houston

Seattle

Arizona

Miami

New York (Jets)

Cincinnati (to be fair, I would be very surprised if Cordy Glenn stays healthy.)

Browns?  Their OL is actually pretty solid. Miami too when healthy. 

The rest are debatable, which doesn’t say much for NYG. 

1 hour ago, Shady Slim said:

think any of them except dallas could win

but you still have to take philly until otherwise proven

I think any of them could get it at this point. This division is always funny like that. I am excited to watch.The NFC conference going to be wild. 

28 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Browns?  Their OL is actually pretty solid. Miami too when healthy. 

The rest are debatable, which doesn’t say much for NYG. 

I'm really not sold on that Shon Coleman/Chris Hubbard duo in Cleveland.  I expect Miami to be improved if healthy, but I still don't think their offensive line is particularly good. 

11 hours ago, Crickett said:

Or Jacksonville.

Or Carolina.

Or Philadelphia.

Or Chicago.

Or Tampa Bay.

Or Los Angeles (Chargers) before the Hunter Henry injury. 

Ahh yes how can I forget Jacksonville and that Marquis Lee / Austin Sefarin Jenkins combo keeping defensive coordinators up at night.  

You deleted the unbiased justification for my claim, and then posted a bad list with no justification or reasoning whatsoever.  

F.  See me after class

Just now, Gmen said:

Ahh yes how can I forget Jacksonville and that Marquis Lee / Austin Sefarin Jenkins combo keeping defensive coordinators up at night.  

You deleted the unbiased justification for my claim, and then posted a bad list with no justification or reasoning whatsoever.  

Jacksonville has at least five starting caliber receivers and used a second round pick on a potential sixth anyway. They may not have a Julio Jones or Odell Beckham Jr., but they are imo the deepest receiver corps in the NFL. 

13 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Jacksonville has at least five starting caliber receivers and used a second round pick on a potential sixth anyway. They may not have a Julio Jones or Odell Beckham Jr., but they are imo the deepest receiver corps in the NFL. 

There is only one football to go around.  A couple star players are much more valuable than entire squads of average players.  No GM in the league would trade OBJ / Barkley / Engram for Jacksonville’s skill players, or any team on that list.  Pittsburgh has a great trio, and maybe Atlanta with Julio / Freeman / Ridley has a case.  But again, the fantasy football world believes the Giants have two of the top 10 skill position players in the NFL and only Pittsburgh matches that.

1 minute ago, Gmen said:

There is only one football to go around.  A couple star players are much more valuable than entire squads of average players.  

Then what was even the point of this:

15 hours ago, Gmen said:

Yes Eli is 37 but the Giants arguably have more offensive weapons around him than anyone in the league outside of Pittsburgh. 

Sure, you can try to backtrack and say you were just talking about more "star" offensive weapons, which is fine.  Just replace Jacksonville with Atlanta, Los Angeles (Rams) and Minnesota.  You can try to make that change, it just makes the list longer, because Evan Engram and Sterling Shepard certainly aren't "stars" yet. 

41 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Then what was even the point of this:

Sure, you can try to backtrack and say you were just talking about more "star" offensive weapons, which is fine.  Just replace Jacksonville with Atlanta, Los Angeles (Rams) and Minnesota.  You can try to make that change, it just makes the list longer, because Evan Engram and Sterling Shepard certainly aren't "stars" yet. 

There is nothing to backtrack.  NFL skill position rankings : 

1. Steelers

2. Giants

3. Falcons

Minnesota?  You’d trade OBJ, Barkley, Engram for Diggs, Theilen, Cook?  Really? 

Archived