The NFC East hasn't had a repeat Division winner since 2003/04 season. Will that continue?

aceinthehouse

5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I only used the Warriors as an example of the rich got richer. The best team got even better. So like the Lakers adding LeBron makes the significantly better. They still arent close to the Warriors. Have they gotten closer? Yes, but unless Steph or someone gets hurt, nobody in the West is overtaking them. So in football the x-factor is injuries because its a more physical sport. The Eagles and Rams for that matter have followed the model of the Seahawks when they drafted Wilson and was paying him pennies but getting great production. The Seahawks was able to build a strong foundation around him that led to the Seahawks winning the NFCW 4 out of 5 years, go to 2 Superbowls and really should be sitting here with 2 rings had Carroll not decided to throw the ball from the 1yd line. Yes at that time the NFCW was a tough division. The Cards were rejuvenated with Arians and Warner. The Niners had Harbaugh with Smith then Kaepernick. Heck as frustrated as Rams fans were with Fisher he even had the Rams being successful within the division. So it was tough but the Seahawks were still successful and winning the division because they had the formula that the Eagles and the Rams are following now. The Eagles have the coaching, the talent, and the depth. I get people want to believe in the Cowboys, Giants, and Redskins. I never said the NFCE wouldnt be competitive. its going to take major injuries for the Eagles not to win the division. Thats all I am saying.

It’s still bad to even compare it the way you did/are. 

Like I said, the Eagles are “the rich” because they won, but talent wise they’re right in the mix with a bunch of other teams that can also claim they got better on paper. The talent gap in basketball is insane, the same can’t be said in the NFL. 

Just like in your other thread where you mentioned the Rams definitely winning the division, you’re failing to look at how consistent inconsistency is in this league. With a bad comparison to boot.

The biggest difference between the NFL and the NBA is how Basketball you only have 5 starters. In Football you have 24ish.

Not only that but it's more complicated because each of those parts has to work with even more parts. More chemistry is required as well. There are more cogs that can stop working all together, and each of those cogs needs to be in line with every other cog it's supposed to work with.

Historically speaking, there is a better chance the Giants win the division this year than the Eagles do. Since 2011, the team who has finished last in the division one year has won the division the next every year except 2013-2014. 

16 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

You guys had a more than capable back-up tackle in Vaitai, Dallas didn't.  One team didn't skip a beat, while the other had their QB demolished over the course of those 3-games.

My memory may be cloudy, but when Lane Johnson was suspended in 2016 for 4 games, and I believe rookie Vaitai stepped-in, didn't Eagles fans claim that missing Lane (in addition to WR's dropping balls) was the reason your team was dropping games? Kinda deja vu.

You're still comparing Smith "3" GM's to Lanes "10". Massive difference. While the depth the Eagles apparently had (no one knew til seasons end) did step up, when Dallas fans use Injuries as an excuse it doesn't fly. Especially when the Eagles were decimated by them. That's all.

All those injuries proved is how dependant the Cowboys are/were to a few key starters. The depth in 17' was that poor.

2018 remains to be seen. For both squads.

History says Yes the streak continues. However baring Catastrophic injury to numerous Key Starters again, I just don't see it happening. Not after adding these players not on the field for the SB back into the fold.

Wentz ,Peters ,Sproles (Goedert, Wallace)

Hicks, Sidney Jones, Maragos (Ngata, Bennett)

Lost: Robinson, Curry, Allen, Blount, Smith. Guess we'll see!

17 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s still bad to even compare it the way you did/are. 

Like I said, the Eagles are “the rich” because they won, but talent wise they’re right in the mix with a bunch of other teams that can also claim they got better on paper. The talent gap in basketball is insane, the same can’t be said in the NFL. 

Just like in your other thread where you mentioned the Rams definitely winning the division, you’re failing to look at how consistent inconsistency is in this league. With a bad comparison to boot.

I am not failing to look at the parity in the NFL. Ive stated in the NBA forum how the NBA doesnt have the parity that the NFL has. I am fully aware. People do get caught up in the parity of the NFL so much that they dont focus on well run organizations. The Pats are well run organization that why for years people were trying to predict their downfall and when it didnt happen people gave up and now all they can say is that as long as they have Belichick and Brady they will be fine. The Eagles have the right FO, the right coaching staff, the bright young franchise QB with the surrounding pieces on offense, defense, and special teams where its going to hard for that consistent inconsistency to effect them. Im not saying that it cant but its going to be hard. Ill through in the Rams and we already have seen the Vikings be consistent since Mike Zimmer has taken over. That franchise has been stable with the only losing season came in his first year with the team. They went (7-9) in 2014. After that they have won at least 8 games and if I am not mistaken in 2016 that was the year their best player AP missed 13 games. So again its more of me looking at a well run organization and saying it will be more successful than not successful consistently unless injuries or suspensions occur. I do see your point though. 

I think the Eagles have a strong case of repeating but the NFC East is always tricky. It happens every single year; The team you think will run away with it implode and the team you least expect blows you away. The division has always been competitive. Even if the team is having a crappy season they will still manager to beat you or come stupid close. I think of the Eagles/Giants last year. So who knows. On paper the Eagles are the best. Time will tell how it all shakes out.

On 7/23/2018 at 11:33 AM, ///mcompact said:
On 7/23/2018 at 10:09 AM, Danger said:

Tyron Smith missed 3 games.
Jason Peters missed 9 games.

But "Oh now Tyron Smith is back, we good."

LOL, he missed a whole 3 games. 

You guys had a more than capable back-up tackle in Vaitai, Dallas didn't.  One team didn't skip a beat, while the other had their QB demolished over the course of those 3-games.

My memory may be cloudy, but when Lane Johnson was suspended in 2016 for 4 games, and I believe rookie Vaitai stepped-in, didn't Eagles fans claim that missing Lane (in addition to WR's dropping balls) was the reason your team was dropping games? Kinda deja vu.

Vaitai sucked when Lane went out, and it was for 10 games. 

It was a pleasant surprise to everyone that he was solid this year when Peters went out, it was still a bit of a dip from JP.

I think the Eagles will be challenged by the Skins this year. Solid team, another safe QB...but one that can move and create stuff a little more than Kirk did.
I wouldn't say they strike much fear into anybody, but they are gonna stick around and win games this year. 

Giants will be better cause they can't be much worse. I think Solder and Olgetree, two heralded acquisitions are pretty overrated. But they had garbage play at those spots before, so it's still an improvement. If OBJ does what he should do and sit until he gets payed that will certainly affect the season. Big question mark is Eli, I don't know how anyone without big blue tunted glasses can be super confident he can get to a level anywhere close to lead the team into the playoffs. It's not like the rest of the roster is the Broncos team that carried Peyton to a ring. 

And the Cowboys are the team that got worse, Dak regressed hard last year. And they really didnt do a ton to help him in year 3. Only the Cowboys could be so bad with cap management that they are gonna piss away their chance to load up while they have a mid-round QB on his rookie deal as their starter. 

I think for the Eagles they could easily go 3-3 in the division this year. NFCE games are usually like that, but not sure if it will translate into a new champion.

Right now I say the streak ends as I can't see Eli or the Cowboys putting up enough good games over the season to contend. And while the Skins are looking good, I think the Eagles are better at almost every position save for Trent Williams at this point is probably a little better than 36 year old Peters, Josh Norman and some arguments to be had on the defense.

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Right now I say the streak ends as I can't see Eli or the Cowboys putting up enough good games over the season to contend. And while the Skins are looking good, I think the Eagles are better at almost every position save for Trent Williams at this point is probably a little better than 36 year old Peters, Josh Norman and some arguments to be had on the defense.

I agree with pretty much all your points above.  As I posted earlier in the thread, I have you guys taking the division if you remain relatively healthy, with the Skins finishing second.

I think an argument can be made we'll be better at RB, depending on how good Guice is, but I agree that you guys are better (mostly you have less questions / more established players) at most positions.

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I agree with pretty much all your points above.  As I posted earlier in the thread, I have you guys taking the division if you remain relatively healthy, with the Skins finishing second.

I think an argument can be made we'll be better at RB, depending on how good Guice is, but I agree that you guys are better (mostly you have less questions / more established players) at most positions.

Oh yea Guice if he hits would be better at RB than Jay, and even if he doesn't do that year one he still could have better numbers.

If they workhorse Guice it'll be very apples and oranges comparing the two since we use the RB stable method almost to it's extreme.

And I think then it could become a "Yes Guice is the best RB on both teams, but do Ajayi, Sproles, Clement and others  surpass him?" I think if both teams are clicking that'd be a debate that really wouldn't have a "correct answer"

I think in general Skins and Eagles have the least questions, and the questions they do have really don't near the magnitude that Dallas and the Giants have.
We don't have a, can Eli be even solid again? or Which Dak was the real Dak question, oh and how will Zeke deal with not having weapons to help clear the box for him? level stuff.

Like Alex Smith has been pretty damn consistent for awhile now, so I don't see how he'd be a step back from Kirk (I think they gave up a little much but thats not really this discussion)
And biggest question is if Wentz is gonna be healthy, which seems like he is..but worse case he misses a game or two and then comes back.

If the SKins click and especially if Guice can play well year one it wouldn't shock me if they get a playoff spot. Because you have the NFC South and North really going at it and chipping away at each other. And the steady stable skins could very easily be that surprise team sitting there with 10 wins and keeping a preseason favorite out of the playoffs in January.

Archived