Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

I'm trying to decide on whether or not we will have a 1000 yard receiver this year. I think Goodwin is really primed for it, and I thought it possible that he would hit 1100-1200 yards this year, but with the way that the receivers have looked in TC, and with the way we are going to spread the ball around between the receivers, backs and tight ends, I'm wondering if any specific receiver will get fed the ball enough to eclipse 1K. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Keelan Cole, I'm assuming? 

Well I didn't him to expect him to nail down a starting spot as a rookie. Not with guys like Moncrief and Lee in front of him anyways. But he will definitely see some snaps if he keeps impressing and he'll have ample opportunities to make a impact. Much like Pettis with us. But there's nothing about Cole's skillset that tells me he'll keep Chark of the field. That kind of length with that kind of speed and athleticsm doesn't grow on trees. He will get his chance, barring injury. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm trying to decide on whether or not we will have a 1000 yard receiver this year. I think Goodwin is really primed for it, and I thought it possible that he would hit 1100-1200 yards this year, but with the way that the receivers have looked in TC, and with the way we are going to spread the ball around between the receivers, backs and tight ends, I'm wondering if any specific receiver will get fed the ball enough to eclipse 1K. 

Garoppolo still seems to like Goodwin quite a bit. But Kittle to me will be THE biggest mismatch on the team. He is the guy who has the potential to be one of the best at his position. I'm not sure if we have a 1,000 yard WR, because you also have to take into consideration the amount of passes McKinnon will catch out of the backfield.

I'm still interested in seeing if Garcon is able to hold off Bourne and/or Pettis. While Gacon was killing it with Hoyer, Garoppolo seems to go to other receivers a bit more. 

NE badly needs a WR, so how about we ship out Garcon for like a 6th rounder? 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah I had similar thoughts but I still think it's very possible for Goodwin. We squandered alot of opportunities in the first half of the season that could have pushed him well over 1,000 yards last year. Most were QB driven but some critical drops by Goodwin. It's plausible with better QB play and him improving as a starting WR that those instances are few and far between this year. My only concern is Jimmy's deep ball and how effective he and Goodwin will be on those chunk plays. 

Goodwin averaged about 77 YPG once Jimmy G took over and about 9 targets a game. This was with him playing like half of the Rams game. Maybe even less, I don't remember exactly when he got hurt. So he certainly will have a chance. But of course at that time Garcon was hurt and Pettis wasn't drafted yet. Still, for Goodwin to be on pace for 1,200 yards with Jimmy G is a good sign for him to surpass the 1,000 yard mark. 

Goodwin will be the 1,000 yard guy this year, health permitting (of multiple players). I have zero doubts about that, and I think he might have a 1300, 1400 yard type season, even when factoring spreading the ball around and the extra reps McKinnon/Breida/Juszczyk will take. Goodwin has always had the speed, but his fearlessness and route running are still underrated. 

I'm also not worried about Garcon's absence in practice reports. Barrows noted he's received - by far - the fewest number of reps of any player (not just receiver) on the team in camp, but it's because he's an established 30+ in age vet who knows the system. He doesn't need the reps guys like Pettis, Burbridge, James, etc. need. His appearances in the preseason will be the ones to watch. 

I think next year might be a different story, but in 2018, it will be a major surprise if he's not one of the top 3 receivers on the depth chart. Once again, health permitting. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Goodwin will be the 1,000 yard guy this year, health permitting (of multiple players). I have zero doubts about that, and I think he might have a 1300, 1400 yard type season, even when factoring spreading the ball around and the extra reps McKinnon/Breida/Juszczyk will take. Goodwin has always had the speed, but his fearlessness and route running are still underrated. 

I'm also not worried about Garcon's absence in practice reports. Barrows noted he's received - by far - the fewest number of reps of any player (not just receiver) on the team in camp, but it's because he's an established 30+ in age vet who knows the system. He doesn't need the reps guys like Pettis, Burbridge, James, etc. need. His appearances in the preseason will be the ones to watch. 

I think next year might be a different story, but in 2018, it will be a major surprise if he's not one of the top 3 receivers on the depth chart. Once again, health permitting. 

I absolutely ADORE and agree with this level of positive sentiment!     Penguin-dancing.gif

42 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Sounds like a challenge that.. may need to be accepted.

Jimmie W.  He really is my rich version of Jay Moore..  (insert same Mulder gif; feeling lazy) 

which I believe the answer wasn't accepted. Think Garrett missed today's practice as well.

15 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

which I believe the answer wasn't accepted. Think Garrett missed today's practice as well.

I feel like Shanny won't be too happy with that. May be counting down the final days of Garnett in a 49er uni to be honest. 

From the reps I watched, Witherspoon was great. Stopped Goodwin, Robinson and didn't even let the QB attempt a pass to James. Though I thought the QB had a chance to let it go when James made his in cut. In these types of drills though, he did as good as you can possibly do.

I know McFadden gets a lot of love as the UDFA signing, but I thought Mosley looked pretty good in these drills as well. 

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like Shanny won't be too happy with that. May be counting down the final days of Garnett in a 49er uni to be honest. 

Yep, he's gone as far as I'm concerned. Now Shanny is basically questioning his toughness. You know Shanny and Lynch didn't like Brown missing those games late in the season last year. Cooper and Tomlinson will be the starting guards. Meh.

Archived