Training Camp and Preseason

Sllim Pickens

On 8/20/2018 at 2:15 PM, diehardlionfan said:

I understand frustration but it’s very premature to state they don’t know what they’re doing or to suggest Patricia looks overwhelmed.

Give the fans a bone and just trade for Khalil Mack already... and play him the 2nd game of the year. 

Hahahahahahaha!

Does a Lions fan have any hope? I mean I've counted the organization out since they basically hired a rookie coach to take them, "farther!" Jim Caldwell did deserve to be fired but the Fans deserved a better coach as a replacement. (IMO)

We've got two years I guess to watch this disaster about to unfold. Here's to the best though cause I would love to watch good lions football. Just not going to happen when a group of fans on a MSG Board can out draft a whole organization of employees. 

Lions are about making money and that is about it. They've had multiple times to really add talent and the GM doesn't, barely spends money on players. An the time he went out and spent money, looks more and more like he should of paid who he had instead of aging veterans who have come in and played worst than Reiff/Warford who we let walk. 

Michigan State and Michigan look to have good seasons so I can hang my hat on them.

6 minutes ago, teude said:

Did Lions have two 1st rounders lying around, or am i missing something?

The Lions aren't one defender away from being a contender... No matter how good that defender is giving up this high a price is only something you do when that player could be the piece that pushes you into contender status.. We're nowhere near that level.

For that matter, neither are the bears imo and if the rumored price they paid is true I don't agree with it being a good move for them. Adding Mack isn't going to make them a serious contender.

47 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The Lions aren't one defender away from being a contender... No matter how good that defender is giving up this high a price is only something you do when that player could be the piece that pushes you into contender status.. We're nowhere near that level.

For that matter, neither are the bears imo and if the rumored price they paid is true I don't agree with it being a good move for them. Adding Mack isn't going to make them a serious contender.

I didn't say that Lions should or shouldn't have traded for Mack, just wondering how even this is Quinns fault, when Bears pay 2 first rounders.

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

Hahahahahahaha!

Does a Lions fan have any hope? I mean I've counted the organization out since they basically hired a rookie coach to take them, "farther!" Jim Caldwell did deserve to be fired but the Fans deserved a better coach as a replacement. (IMO)

We've got two years I guess to watch this disaster about to unfold. Here's to the best though cause I would love to watch good lions football. Just not going to happen when a group of fans on a MSG Board can out draft a whole organization of employees. 

Lions are about making money and that is about it. They've had multiple times to really add talent and the GM doesn't, barely spends money on players. An the time he went out and spent money, looks more and more like he should of paid who he had instead of aging veterans who have come in and played worst than Reiff/Warford who we let walk. 

Michigan State and Michigan look to have good seasons so I can hang my hat on them.

Jim Caldwell was not a great coach and had prior experience as a head coach. Just because Patricia has not been a head coach does not mean he will not be a great coach. 

Hind site is 20/20 and when you have 500 mock drafts on a msg board I’m sure a few will hit that are better than the organizations. Simply because the numbers are on the fans side. 

Of course the lions are about making money every team is and business for that matter. Wagner is by no means aging not T.J. Lang he just had a bad injury the year prior. If I am not mistaking he got both those guys cheaper than Reiff and warford. Reiff wanted left tackle money and warford got a big contract as well. 

We we had a lot of holes to fill with limited cap space so instead of signing a couple splash players and a bunch of guys at vet minimum, Quinn decided to build his roster a little different than your madden way and you think that’s a mistake? 

Here is to michigan beating the fighting Irish “cheers”

The Lions absolutely should have traded for Mack. Everyone including all the players know the Lions aren't serious about improving, and winning, NOW. They're just following the process on their latest 5 year plan that won't make it to year 3 because they never make the moves needed to get it to start working by year 2.

I don’t know if the Lions should or shouldn’t of traded for Mack.

I do know he’s a special player that would significantly improve a major weakness.

Two first round picks? Given the players attained in the past with first round picks I think I would’ve made that trade.

You don’t get many opportunities via the draft, free agency, or trade to add a player of Mack’s ability.

6 hours ago, teude said:

Did Lions have two 1st rounders lying around, or am i missing something?

They get a new one every year, so yeah they had two laying around and they've never ever in the history of the franchise drafted a pass rusher like Khalil Mack so idk what the big deal was, to trade for him and sign him. He's only 27.

We should do something fun and see who they draft with the next two first round picks and see if either of them pan out to what Khalil Mack is. Hopefully I eat crow, and they get good players, great players which will help our future, but I suspect they'll be average to bad, and Lions will be that this season also. I think they could of been a real dark-horse with a Stafford/Mack lead team. I thought he'd make guys like Ziggy/Slay/Quinn look better than they already are and possibly cause a ripple effect through the defense where guys are playing above there pay and aren't out of position and aren't over extending themselves or roles. 

Anyways... Still hope Lions pull out 10 wins and win the division. I wouldn't build this team like Quinn has totally, I like the attempts at Oline improvement but an attempt is just that and results are the proof in the pudding so to speak. I don't see the reason to be so tight with money on average/bad players when you're trying to win the whole thing. Lions aren't good enough to win the whole thing currently constructed so not adding major pieces and watching your rivals do so doesn't seem like a winning formula to me. Everyone acts like the playing field is even between the Lions/Vikings/Packers... and it wasn't, never was and now both are alot better than the Lions imo, and the Bears now possibly are better. Lions are looking at 4-8 wins tops imo. They don't have enough talent. 

The way I could see this thing working out well is if Lions air out the ball early and get leads, then actually have a run game/run blocking to grind out games/time with the lead.

This defense isn't a good looking defense to make a last stand with or to battle out a game defensively with low scoring. If Lions do win alot of games it'll be high scoring games where we dust teams early and grind it out imo, or we straight up do a shoot out with a come behind victory or miracle last stands. 

DeShawn Shead signed a $3.35 million deal with Detroit this offseason. He opened training camp as the starting cornerback opposite Darius Slay. Now he won't even make it into Week 1.

The Lions have cut Shead in their move to 53 players on Saturday, according to NFL Network.

Detroit also has parted with running back Dwayne Washington, safety Rolan Milligan, offensive lineman Wesley Johnson, linebacker Freddie Bishop, receiver Chris Lacy, tight end Sean McGrath and cornerbacks Mike Ford and Chris Jones, according to the Detroit Free Press. Jace Billingsley is out at receiver, according to Pro Football Weekly, and Jake Rudock is out at quarterback per NFL Network.

Throw in the trade of Corey Robinson and the move of Zach Zenner to injured reserve, and the Lions are now at 60 players. That leaves seven moves to go.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/09/cut_day_live_tracker_dwayne_wa.html#incart_river_index

6 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

How do you define being a contender? We've seen playoff 6th seeds win the Superbowl, so does contending for a spot in the playoffs make you a contender? If so, I think Mack would certainly make the Lions a contender. By far the biggest weakness on the team is lack of pass rush, and Mack would instantly give us a dangerous pass rusher that opposing coaches have to scheme around. We've got a talented secondary, taking away a QBs ability to sit and wait all day would make our pass defense dangerous imo. Give Stafford a legitimate defense to go along with what he can do and we're right in the thick of things imo. 

I would have tried to trade for Mack if I was in charge, but I'm not in charge. 

Edit: That being said, it makes sense for Mack to go to a team like Chicago, they've got a QB on a rookie contract which leaves like 25+ million in cap room over a team like the Lions. 

Archived