Tremaine Edmunds OR Derwin James VS Jaire Alexander and NO Saints 2019 1st Rd Pick

Mr Anonymous

31 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

The story about Russ Ball deciding who gets called up from the practice squad was just broken yesterday. Again, I'm hoping that was misreported because that's astonishing.

I'd like to read that story, where can I find it?

Just now, incognito_man said:

I don't care where you place value, I just find it hilarious you called it "reporting"

What else would you call a Packers beat writer stating that Russ Ball makes the call on players getting called up from the practice squad?  I'll say now for a 3rd time, I hope that was erroneous. If true, it's yet another indicator of disfunction

4 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

What else would you call a Packers beat writer stating that Russ Ball makes the call on players getting called up from the practice squad?  I'll say now for a 3rd time, I hope that was erroneous. If true, it's yet another indicator of disfunction

Who is the world's most prolific reporter? Taylor swift? ?

Looks like it's a Venezuelan news curator actually

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Twitter, Rob Demovsky, last night. It hasn't been deleted or corrected.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Well this changes your theory or story... as you said it started this offseason, but based on this "report"/"story" (lets be honest, it's a single tweet) then what you're calling dysfunction started before the offseason... and has probably been going on for years.

And the stories are that Thomson has delegated responsibilities to different people, and the stories about Ball were that he got some.

I honestly don't understand the freak out though, if everyone doesn't fit in one perfect order, you seem to get upset and think everything is a dysfunction for some reason. Does everything have to be in perfect working order? I guess I'm nicely and respectfully trying to ask are your a perfectionist or have OCD.

I think the Packers have long believed in flexibility, and not everything is one way. 

I didn't say it started this offseason. How could it? They haven't even established a practice squad yet. It's a concern that it ever happened and a concern because there's no reason to believe it's not still the case. Russ Ball was given a promotion and a raise. You can't assume he had some duties stripped, especially for a GM who can't even fire the head coach on his own.

I do hope that Ball lost that responsibility but have no reason to think he has. And I strongly disagree that this flexible structure is a good route. Ron Wolf was very outspoken about this and I ask forgiveness for being a big believer in his stance on this.

3 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I didn't say it started this offseason. How could it? They haven't even established a practice squad yet. It's a concern that it ever happened and a concern because there's no reason to believe it's not still the case. Russ Ball was given a promotion and a raise. You can't assume he had some duties stripped, especially for a GM who can't even fire the head coach on his own.

I do hope that Ball lost that responsibility but have no reason to think he has. And I strongly disagree that this flexible structure is a good route. Ron Wolf was very outspoken about this and I ask forgiveness for being a big believer in his stance on this.

I knew you were a closted Favrist/Wolf Apologist, now things are starting to make sense. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I knew you were a closted Favrist/Wolf Apologist, now things are starting to make sense. 

Who the heck doesn't like Ron Wolf? And I've backed Rodgers from day 1. Stopped watching games with family who were Favrists as you put it. My opinion of the front office didn't turn until I saw how this most recent transition transpired. Your assumptions are way off. I guess I could make some assumptions about you but I don't have the interest.

I didn't say it started this offseason. How could it? They haven't even established a practice squad yet.

The comment below is what I was referring too. You said until this offseason... I'm just adding that it sounds like what you're calling a circus, started before the offseason. Does that make sense or we still talking past each other by mistake?

55 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I've been an absolute homer and defender of everything the organization has done until this circus of an offseason.

You can't assume

Actually anyone can assume anything... like we can assume MM might of really hated the idea of Ball as GM ... or MM like banana flavored icecream... or someone likes a banana song :D

And I strongly disagree that this flexible structure is a good route. Ron Wolf was very outspoken about this and I ask forgiveness for being a big believer in his stance on this.

No reason to seek forgiveness, we all have our opinions.

25 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Fair enough. And the "circus offseason" was in reference to far more than last night's news about Russ Ball. That's just the latest eye opener for me.

I know, I saw your earlier post about how you hated all of Murphy reported actions, while I strongly believe some are certainly true, I strongly doubting all of them are true.

No need to break them down, just different strokes for different folks.

The article below does a pretty good job detailing the significant change in structure that took place this offseason. It starts out making a case for putting a football guy in charge and staying out of the way but morphs into offering a path to success with the current route, something I'm obviously not buying. Not sure why anyone would feel good about Murphy gaining power and forming a triumvirate beneath him. I hope they find a way to make it work but I personally put very long odds against it. And my loud displeasure comes from the fact it didn't have to be this way. We have plenty of history in this very organization to draw on to be very wary of the current structure...

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/08/packers-change-leadership-structure-brian-gutekunst-becomes-gm/1012881001/

In 1991, two years after Bob Harlan was promoted to team president, he enforced a radical restructure within the Packers' front office. Ron Wolf, his new general manager, was given total authority over football operations.

“We wanted a football person making all of our football decisions,” Harlan told PackersNews.com on Sunday, one day before the team announced its new structure. “The people on my executive committee were very talented business men, very successful businessmen, and very valuable to the organization helping us with our business structure. But from the football side, I just felt we needed one strong football person, and give him that authority.

“Quite honestly, I would’ve never gotten Ron Wolf in ’91 if I hadn’t given him that authority

But Gutekunst will not have total authority over football operations

In a restructuring that seemed just as radical as Harlan’s decision to give Wolf complete autonomy, Packers president/CEO Mark Murphy announced Monday his new general manager will be one of three people within football operations reporting directly to him. The other two are Russ Ball, who was promoted to executive vice president/football operations, and coach Mike McCarthy.

Murphy, whose expanded involvement will resemble more of a traditional owner

Gutekunst said Murphy didn’t mention the restructure during his interviews Friday and Saturday. It wasn’t until he received the job offer that they discussed how the newly defined responsibilities will work.

In the new structure, Gutekunst and Ball’s relationship will be tested most. Gutekunst’s primary responsibility will be player acquisition and retention, while Ball’s will be the salary cap. The two duties are connected, but will be split between two individuals.

If they aren’t in lockstep, a situation could arise where Gutekunst wants to sign a player, but Ball doesn’t believe the necessary contract works within the Packers’ cap. Murphy left open the possibility he might have to be an arbitrator, though he hopes Gutekunst and Ball could work out any dispute between them.

One exception will be McCarthy’s employment. Instead of the GM, Murphy said he will have the power to fire and hire a head coach.

When Harlan restructured the Packers' front office, it wasn’t only to give his GM total authority. Another primary reason was to limit the voices distracting his top officer.

The author tries his best to explain these things away but they are screaming, flashing, giant red flags to me. I don't expect everyone to see it the same way. Judge for yourself. Again, time will tell.

Archived