2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

30 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I prefer moving to a 4-2-5 once Bowles is canned actually.  I think Williams and Shepard fit nicely as 4-3 DT's moving forward with their athleticism.  That and Adams fits in the SS/WILL role too.  Should be a rather easy transition to make.  Really the current OLB's we have are the ones who don't fit and there aren't really any great players there to make me hesitate making the switch.  Our defensive future is Williams, Shepard, Lee, Adams, Williamson, Maye, Tru (for at least 1 more year after this), Nickerson and hopefully one or both of Robinson/Jones at CB.

Hopefully we give the young CB's a chance down the stretch and also Shep and Fatusuki at DT to see if they are keepers.

Anderson is better than Shepard. So not sure why he wasn't mentioned. He'd start over him. I'm not against moving to a 4-3... but that would makes Jenkins pretty useless for us.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

You're missing my point though. I'm not saying they aren't good (hence why I said I want to resign them). My point is they're not #1 and #2 WRs. You just names those teams and a few of them I can agree with you on. But Landry is better than either of them, TY Hilton is better than either of them, Gordon is better than either of them, Adams is better than either of them, Baldwin is better than either of them. I'll agree that the 49ers and Redskins don't have WRs better than us.

None of those guys were first round picks for what it's worth. 

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

None of those guys were first round picks for what it's worth. 

True. But most of them should have been. I for one rated Adams and Landry high that draft. That was also one of the best WR classes ever. So those guys would have been 1st Rounders in a lot of other drafts. Gordon on talent would have been a 1st Rounder aside from his issues. Hilton and Baldwin were good finds.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Anderson is better than Shepard. So not sure why he wasn't mentioned. He'd start over him. I'm not against moving to a 4-3... but that would makes Jenkins pretty useless for us.

Anderson hasn't done much since his early season burst and you always rotate DL to keep them fresh, there is a role for him as a pass rushing DT.  Jenkins could also have a role as a pass rushing DE.  He's 260.  Barnett and Graham are both in the 260's for PHI on their DL.  He'd be fine.

This WR class is deep too.  There will be talent in the mid rounds.  We should definitely be targeting one of these guys in round 3.  I prefer to go LT in round 1 over WR if the talent is comparable and if Williams is on the board it should be a no brainer to run to the podium for him.

Having three #2 type WR's on the field is just as good as having Julio and a bunch of #3's.  I prefer to have a bunch of really good WR's then one great one and a bunch of below average guys.  When put it the right role Anderson and Q are above average for what their roles should be.  

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I prefer moving to a 4-2-5 once Bowles is canned actually.  I think Williams and Shepard fit nicely as 4-3 DT's moving forward with their athleticism.  That and Adams fits in the SS/WILL role too.  Should be a rather easy transition to make.  Really the current OLB's we have are the ones who don't fit and there aren't really any great players there to make me hesitate making the switch.  Our defensive future is Williams, Shepard, Lee, Adams, Williamson, Maye, Tru (for at least 1 more year after this), Nickerson and hopefully one or both of Robinson/Jones at CB.

Hopefully we give the young CB's a chance down the stretch and also Shep and Fatusuki at DT to see if they are keepers.

That would work. 

This WR class is deep too.  There will be talent in the mid rounds.  We should definitely be targeting one of these guys in round 3.  I prefer to go LT in round 1 over WR if the talent is comparable and if Williams is on the board it should be a no brainer to run to the podium for him.

Having three #2 type WR's on the field is just as good as having Julio and a bunch of #3's.  I prefer to have a bunch of really good WR's then one great one and a bunch of below average guys.  When put it the right role Anderson and Q are above average for what their roles should be.  

Agreed.   I hesitate to draft WR in 1st because Jets have sprayed all the field too much. Investing in other position that is actually useful is necessary.  However, if Jets got new HC or OC whatever and decided to speed up the offense (such as one read play, innovative, no huddle, etc) then N'Keal Harry would be useful in 1st. 

Need to check out Alabama's Jerry Jeudy in case if he decides to go NFL prematurely. He is perfect for one read play or first strike type offense.

Anderson hasn't done much since his early season burst and you always rotate DL to keep them fresh, there is a role for him as a pass rushing DT.  Jenkins could also have a role as a pass rushing DE.  He's 260.  Barnett and Graham are both in the 260's for PHI on their DL.  He'd be fine.

As a rotation guy sure. But Jenkins is an edge setter, not really an edge rusher. Who knows maybe he looks better as a 4-3 DE idk. But it all depends on a system change.

17 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Agreed.   I hesitate to draft WR in 1st because Jets have sprayed all the field too much. Investing in other position that is actually useful is necessary.  However, if Jets got new HC or OC whatever and decided to speed up the offense (such as one read play, innovative, no huddle, etc) then N'Keal Harry would be useful in 1st. 

Need to check out Alabama's Jerry Jeudy in case if he decides to go NFL prematurely. He is perfect for one read play or first strike type offense.

I just don't like our spot in the draft, bc I do agree with this if we are drafting where we are. Harry is the only guy I'd consider at WR that high and I'd 100% draft Williams at LT over him. The issue lies for me is what if Williams is gone? Who do we draft then? Another DL, CB, Edge? I think we add an edge in FA making the need not huge. I just have a feeling we'd draft BPA and that would be a CB or DL and I'll be beyond pissed. Trading back isn't easy. Especially when a team moving up isn't drafting a QB.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

That would be a good move. The Jets have been a 3-4 team for so long that I can't even imagine them play more of a 4-man front.

I do like the combo of Shep and Leo in the interior. Shep is strong enough to play the 1-Tech and Leo is more of a natural 3-Tech anyways. Where would you have Lee play if you have Adams playing that WILL role? Or are you saying Williamson and Lee as the two LBs and Adams/Maye/Brooks as the safeties?

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

That would be a good move. The Jets have been a 3-4 team for so long that I can't even imagine them play more of a 4-man front.

I do like the combo of Shep and Leo in the interior. Shep is strong enough to play the 1-Tech and Leo is more of a natural 3-Tech anyways. Where would you have Lee play if you have Adams playing that WILL role? Or are you saying Williamson and Lee as the two LBs and Adams/Maye/Brooks as the safeties?

Not just Will or SS.  It is more likely ROVER.  His identity remains DB in 4-2-5.

Edited by JetsandI

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Lee would be the SAM or LB next to Williamson while as JetsandI said Adams is the Rover.  Covers TE, blitzes, plays the run, covers leaking RB's.

The 4 DL, 2 LBs and then Adams "rover" with 3 CB's and Maye as the deep safety.

Something like that.  Maye isn't exactly made for the deep safety role but he'll have to do for now.  

DL: Clowney or Lawrence / Shep and Anderson rotating / Williams / Jenkins or Copeland 
LB: Williamson / Lee
DB: Adams, Tru, CB#2 (whoever that may be), Nickerson (slot), and Maye

If you can upgrade Jenkins great, if not he'll do for now, same with #2 CB hopefully either Jones or Robinson step up.

That allows us to focus the rest of the FA and draft on offense if we just land that one big FA pass rusher.  Not the best defense in the league but certainly good enough to keep us in games if the offense improves.

Edited by Rockice_8

I like the 3-4, all we need is 2 Edge rushers and switch to more Cover-3 press type system and we’d be golden. Switching to a 4-3 we’d need to find another LB, potentially 2 DTs(don’t think Leo’s best spot is in a 4-3) and new DE’s

Edited by Dr.O

15 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Last time the Wide Receiver class was Deep we ended up with Stewart and Hansen

the time before we grabbed Saunders and Evans 

I can’t believe we draft so poorly.

6 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I like the 3-4, all we need is 2 Edge rushers and switch to more Cover-3 press type system and we’d be golden. Switching to a 4-3 we’d need to find another LB, potentially 2 DTs(don’t think Leo’s best spot is in a 4-3) and new DE’s

Leo would probably be a pro Bowl player in the 4-3. Getting him 1v1 against Guards would help our interior Rush immensely.