2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

5 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

D.K. Metcalf's neck injury is scary.  If healthy, Jets could trade down a multiple times to stock up middling picks before get comfortable to gamble on him.  Simple. 

He looks like the best WR in this class.  Has Julio like ceiling.

If he gets a clean bil of health and we can get a king's ransom if say one of these stud DT's is on the board it would be an interesting move. 

This offseason starts with cleaning house for me.  Sorry Mac but you won't be here to see your plan play out.  The stink around here is so bad nobody should survive this.  And I have largely been a Mac supporter too.

On 11/12/2018 at 9:52 AM, Rockice_8 said:

He looks like the best WR in this class.  Has Julio like ceiling.

If he gets a clean bil of health and we can get a king's ransom if say one of these stud DT's is on the board it would be an interesting move. 

This offseason starts with cleaning house for me.  Sorry Mac but you won't be here to see your plan play out.  The stink around here is so bad nobody should survive this.  And I have largely been a Mac supporter too.

I think Harry is better than Metcalf. I actually like Brown more than Metcalf. Trust me I’d take any of these guys. But I think Metcalf with this injury is a risk for starters. And I actually view Harry as more athletic than Metcalf. Like I said I’ll goadly take Metcalf... I just see a guy that gets away with having good hands and size. Not fast really or a great route runner. Does bear press a lot though which I like. I view Harry as a star though

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think Harry is better than Metcalf. I actually like Brown more than Metcalf. Trust me I’d take any of these guys. But I think Metcalf with this injury is a risk for starters. And I actually view Harry as more athletic than Metcalf. Like I said I’ll goadly take Metcalf... I just see a guy that gets away with having good hands and size. Not fast really or a great route runner. Does bear press a lot though which I like. I view Harry as a star though

Metcalf and Harry are my 1A/1B but Brown I’m not a big fan of, struggles mighty with press coverage, hasn’t shown the athleticism you’d hope for on the outside, and has done almost all his damage out of the slot. Not saying that he’s a bad WR but we have a much more athletic version of him in Quincy and I’d rather try to diversify the WR core than try to stack up with Slot guys if that makes sense

Issue that I see happening is that the best positions in this draft don't line up with what we need. I feel we for sure grab some kind of legit Edge guy in FA with so many good guys hitting the market. They all cant get tagged or resign. (Clowney, Lawrence, Barr, Ansah, Fowler Jr, Ray, Barrett, Flowers, Clark to name a few)

Making us do different things that are all not that good.

1. Drafting a player at a position that we don't need. (i.e. a DL, CB, Edge) just bc they are BPA.

2. Make us reach for a guy that shouldn't go where we draft them We will probably be picking in the 4-8 range.

3. Trade back and not get good value in return bc it's not for a QB (bc there's no good QBs in this class).

Making there only 2 legit situations that can make me happy really.

1. We draft Jonah Williams (LT/Alabama) with our 1st Rounder. He's the only guy at a position I think will be a need that is worth that spot as of now.

2. We trade back and still grab a top WR in this class. Hopefully adding a 2nd Rounder or more.

My Big Board for us stands like this atm...

1. Jonah Williams (LT/Bama)

2. N'Keil Harry (WR/ASU)

3. Greg Little (LT/Ole Miss)

4. AJ Brown (WR/Ole Miss)

26 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

This draft is ideal for a trade down for us.  Unless Bosa falls in our lap that is.

There appear to be two elite DT's that could be highly sought after.  That or hopefully a team like DEN, JAC, or TB want to go get a QB.

Nick Bosa's weight is something we need to pay attention. Unless Jets actually use 4-3 formula for pass rushers, he becomes unnecessary for Jets.

A write up on how bad our WRs are. Showing that we need to make this a priority if we want Darnold to succeed. I cant state how overrated I think Q and Robby are. They're solid 3 and 4 guys that are forced to play bigger roles for us. You put them on most teams and that's where they'd fall on the depth chart. I'm all for resigning both. But as long we get a legit #1 and #2 guy in here.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/14/jets-wide-receiver-numbers-tell-an-ugly-story/

14 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Nick Bosa's weight is something we need to pay attention. Unless Jets actually use 4-3 formula for pass rushers, he becomes unnecessary for Jets.

I disagree here. Nick Bosa is probably the best player in the draft. This guy can play any where along the line and be great. He is so big and athletic he can fit in a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2 or what every D you run. He will make plays on the field. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

A write up on how bad our WRs are. Showing that we need to make this a priority if we want Darnold to succeed. I cant state how overrated I think Q and Robby are. They're solid 3 and 4 guys that are forced to play bigger roles for us. You put them on most teams and that's where they'd fall on the depth chart. I'm all for resigning both. But as long we get a legit #1 and #2 guy in here.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/14/jets-wide-receiver-numbers-tell-an-ugly-story/

I don't really agree here. I think Robby is a great 1 trick-pony, similar to DJax and Enunwa is a YAC monster. They aren't elite receivers, but I'd rate them higher than the Browns, Colts, Pats, Packers, Seahawks, Niners, and Redskins receiving cores (just off the top of my head).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I prefer moving to a 4-2-5 once Bowles is canned actually.  I think Williams and Shepard fit nicely as 4-3 DT's moving forward with their athleticism.  That and Adams fits in the SS/WILL role too.  Should be a rather easy transition to make.  Really the current OLB's we have are the ones who don't fit and there aren't really any great players there to make me hesitate making the switch.  Our defensive future is Williams, Shepard, Lee, Adams, Williamson, Maye, Tru (for at least 1 more year after this), Nickerson and hopefully one or both of Robinson/Jones at CB.

Hopefully we give the young CB's a chance down the stretch and also Shep and Fatusuki at DT to see if they are keepers.

25 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I don't really agree here. I think Robby is a great 1 trick-pony, similar to DJax and Enunwa is a YAC monster. They aren't elite receivers, but I'd rate them higher than the Browns, Colts, Pats, Packers, Seahawks, Niners, and Redskins receiving cores (just off the top of my head).

100% agree.  The whole numbering system is pretty pointless IMO but I get why people label WR's.  Both Robby (X WR) and Q (slot) are very solid WR's for what their roles are.  They have both been banged up this year and the offense is about bland as can be so there are reasons as to why the passing game has struggled.  Robby is an elite deep threat and there is always a spot for a guy like that on a good offense.  There are reasons teams were calling about him to see if we would trade him.  Q is very reliable moving the chains and is a mismatch for slot CB's.  See no reason why we would need to upgrade either of them.  With the emergence of Herndon we should be able to have a functioning offense if the OL played better.  OL is way more of a concern then WR.

What we truly lack is the Z WR.  Kearse did an admirable job last year but either by fault of his own or Bates terrible play calling he has been invisible.  Pryor was actually doing a good job until we randomly released him and didn't bring him back for some reason once healthy.  That was a horrible move considering how well he played over Kearse.  The Z WR can run motion all over the field, can run all the routes, and has good size/hands to win in traffic.  They can do a bit of everything.  Good news is there are a bunch of them in this WR class.  Harry, Brown, Harmon, Whiteside, Metcalf, both Colin and Anthony Johnson, Samuel, Claypool, Humphrey etc.  This class is loaded with WR talent.  

If we don't land one in round 1 we should definitely being looking at one in round 3.  No way all these guys go in rounds 1 and 2.  If a guy like Colin Johnson, Whiteside, or Metcalf because of the injury drops to round 3 we should be all over one of them.  All have 6'2"+ size and would fit the Z role very well.  Adding one of them to Q, Robby and Herdon along with making a bold move by signing a game changer like Bell we will have more then enough offensive talent if the OL just protected Sam better. 

Edited by Rockice_8

29 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

You're missing my point though. I'm not saying they aren't good (hence why I said I want to resign them). My point is they're not #1 and #2 WRs. You just names those teams and a few of them I can agree with you on. But Landry is better than either of them, TY Hilton is better than either of them, Gordon is better than either of them, Adams is better than either of them, Baldwin is better than either of them. I'll agree that the 49ers and Redskins don't have WRs better than us.

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

I gotta wait until we see who’s drafting our players and coaching the team to decide who makes the most sense. 

However this entire off-season outside of finding the right GM/Coaching Staff is all about the Offensive Line and Pass Rush. 

Spot on.  If we did nothing else but revamp the OL and land a pass rusher we'd be better off for it.

At worst I hope we land Williams in the draft, sign Spain for LG and sign the best available pass rusher (Clowney, Lawrence etc.) whoever we can.  If we only did that I'd be so thrilled.