Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton

patriotsheatyan

Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton

• Matt Ryan
    • Cam Newton

10 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Oh look, a bunch of theoretical garbage that can conveniently never be proven one way or another.  The fact is that Cam at his very best is simply no where near the QB Matt Ryan is at his best.  He is inaccurate, immature, inconsistent, petulant, and far too emotional (big reason for his inconsistency).  Cam is the quintessential "front-runner"; he's great when everything goes his way and the team is winning.  But throw any adversity in there and he sulks under his towel like a spoiled brat.  There's no question he is an elite athlete with physical talent that Ryan could never hope to possess, but mentally Cam is a basket case and QB is 90% mental at the end of the day.

This is almost comically biased. 

With all these faults, how do you explain anything about 2015. The last season that Cam was actually healthy. How does a player win MVP with Ted Ginn, Jericho Cotchery, Philly Brown. and a rookie Funchess as his WRs. And his season was MVP worthy if he never ran the ball at all. With an OC that no other team would let call plays if he paid them. 

Let’s compare that with what Ryan had to work with during his MVP year. Acting like there is some great separation between them is ridiculous. 

As for the rest, as a Falcon and UGA fan, I don’t imagine you have ever had a good thought about Cam since 2010.

11 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Oh look, a bunch of theoretical garbage that can conveniently never be proven one way or another.  The fact is that Cam at his very best is simply no where near the QB Matt Ryan is at his best.  

"No where near"?  Please.  Newton at his best is an absolute animal.  Yes he is inconsistent, but this isn't Tyrod Taylor we're talking about.  The reason why a team can overlook that kind of inconsistency is because when he's hot, he's hot.  He had something like the most games last year above a 120 QB Rating, tied with Brady/Smith IIRC.  He's a difference maker.

But I get it.  People will always point to Cam's efficiency numbers without looking at it within context.  I'm really excited to see what he does this year with an offensive coordinator that isn't Mike Shula.  Newton isn't a 65-68% guy, but I'm willing to guarantee to anyone that his efficiency will be much improved this year.  Shula's offensive scheme was as ancient as can be.  Routes were consistently designed to be ran 10+ yards down the field.  No deception.  No easy throws for Cam (other than when we got McCaffrey, and even that was relatively scarce).  It was boom-or-bust.  Our offense asked Cam to make more tight throws than nearly any other QB in the league.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article141218063.html

My question to homer Panthers fans everytime this argument gets brought up about Cam is, if he's so great how do you possibly explain 2016?  They went 15-1 in 2015, Cam won MVP and they went to the SB.  The team returned basically unchanged in 2016 and ALL the Panthers fans acted like it was simply inevitable that they would repeat and win the SB.  Then Cam happened and they ended up 6-10.  If Cam really is so great, how on earth does that happen???  I know, I know, you will have a laundry list ready of all the reasons 2016 was never Cam's fault but that's all just complete bunk.  The fact is that Cam has NEVER had back-to-back winning seasons as an NFL starter, going all the way back to 2011, yet here we are again with the same usual Panthers fans saying its inevitable the Panthers will be great this year after a good season (far less good than they were in 2015 btw) and I can't help but wonder what the excuses will be next year after the Panthers finish 5-11 this year, as their history indicates they will?

12 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

My question to homer Panthers fans everytime this argument gets brought up about Cam is, if he's so great how do you possibly explain 2016?  They went 15-1 in 2015, Cam won MVP and they went to the SB.  The team returned basically unchanged in 2016 and ALL the Panthers fans acted like it was simply inevitable that they would repeat and win the SB.  Then Cam happened and they ended up 6-10.  If Cam really is so great, how on earth does that happen???  

Okay.  I’m gonna ask you something and I don’t want you to backtrack.  

If Ryan is so great, how does 2013 and 2014 happen?  4-12 and 6-10 records.  Cam hasn’t had consecutive losing seasons since his first 2 years.  He’s never only won 4 games.  So if Ryan is so great, and better than Cam, how does that happen? 

If Ryan is so great, and better than Cam, then how does Cam have 10 more wins than Ryan since 2013 and more division titles? 

And don’t give me those excuses that you said we couldn’t use for Cam (like the fact he was hurt).  Gimme a good explanation.  Tell me how it wasn’t Ryan’s fault, but somehow it was Cam’s fault.

2013 and 2014 are Ryan's ONLY losing seasons in 10 years.  He's won 11, 9, 13, 10, 12, 4, 6, 8, 11, and 10 games over his career.  He had back-to-back winning season for 5 years straight, while Cam has never even done it once.  Ryan's overall body of work has simply been far more consistent (and with better stats, even in those bad years) than Cam has ever come close to.  Let me know when Cam finally reaches even 60% completion percentage for his career (Ryan's career average is 64.9%).  Or even has 4k yards in a season again (something Ryan has done the last 7 straight).  Or ever gets his career passer rating to 90.0 (hell, the only time he's ever been above 89 was his ONE good season in 2015, meanwhile Ryan's career average rating is 93.4).  Matt Ryan has played only 3 more season than Cam has, yet he has over 100 TD's more.  Oh, and he's thrown for over 16000 more yards.  Need I go on?

By the way, even Ryan's "terrible" 2013 and 2014 stats are all better than the stats of every single year Cam Newton has ever had except 2015.

5 hours ago, megatechpc said:

2013 and 2014 are Ryan's ONLY losing seasons in 10 years.  He's won 11, 9, 13, 10, 12, 4, 6, 8, 11, and 10 games over his career.  He had back-to-back winning season for 5 years straight, while Cam has never even done it once.  Ryan's overall body of work has simply been far more consistent (and with better stats, even in those bad years) than Cam has ever come close to.  Let me know when Cam finally reaches even 60% completion percentage for his career (Ryan's career average is 64.9%).  Or even has 4k yards in a season again (something Ryan has done the last 7 straight).  Or ever gets his career passer rating to 90.0 (hell, the only time he's ever been above 89 was his ONE good season in 2015, meanwhile Ryan's career average rating is 93.4).  Matt Ryan has played only 3 more season than Cam has, yet he has over 100 TD's more.  Oh, and he's thrown for over 16000 more yards.  Need I go on?

By the way, even Ryan's "terrible" 2013 and 2014 stats are all better than the stats of every single year Cam Newton has ever had except 2015.

Maybe if you stick to strictly passing stats, “Matty checkdown” looks better. But let’s factor in the greatest rushing threat at QB possibly ever. Definitely the most “consistent “ one. How many years has Ryan been his teams leading rusher? Are we going to just ignore that in this comparison. Do I get to take away one of Ryan’s biggest strengths? 

Keep moving the goalposts where ever you need them. 

7 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Okay.  Still didn’t answer the question.  If he was so great, why did those seasons happen?  We were literally only talking about wins. 

And Newton has more wins than Ryan since 2013.  So since wins are 100% (according to you) QBs since supposedly there’s no excuse, how is Ryan better?

And Ryan does not have over 100 more TDs.  He only has 53 more TDs in 49 more games.  Cam is one of the best scoring threats since his rookie season, so using TDs against him isn’t a good idea.

15 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Okay.  Still didn’t answer the question.  If he was so great, why did those seasons happen?  We were literally only talking about wins. 

And Newton has more wins than Ryan since 2013.  So since wins are 100% (according to you) QBs since supposedly there’s no excuse, how is Ryan better?

And Ryan does not have over 100 more TDs.  He only has 53 more TDs in 49 more games.  Cam is one of the best scoring threats since his rookie season, so using TDs against him isn’t a good idea.

What on earth are you talking about?  Cam has 158 TD passes and Matt Ryan has 260.  We're discussing QB's here, not RB's.  There's no question that Cam's rushing abilities are an important part of his game, but that's not exactly a strength I'd want from my QB anyway (we are already seeing the effect that the pounding he constantly takes has had on his ability to play QB).  The QB's number one job is to pass the ball; rushing is just a bonus and not at all needed to grade a QB.  Is Tom Brady a worse QB because he can't run the ball?  That's just a joke of a take.  

As far as 2013 and 2014 go, I've already admitted that they were bad years for the Falcons but not necessarily bad years for Ryan.  He played better QB in BOTH those years than Cam EVER has other than 2015.  Those are just the facts dude, look at the poll results.  Only Panthers fans could possibly be so delusional as to seriously claim Cam Newton is a better QUARTERBACK than Matt Ryan.

In what reality does it make sense to not include Cam’s rushing TDs?  Like what?  

Should we not consider receiving TDs for RBs?

And your Tom Brady point is just foolish.  A rushing TD is worth the same as a passing TD.  Eliminating it from the conversation is moronic.

Consistency is easier when you have guys like Julio.  Like, Cam having a passer rating of 75-80 with the surrounding cast he's had (while also having 5+ rushing TDs in any given year) isn't really any more damning than Ryan having 91 in a year with Julio and Freeman playing.

Archived