Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton

patriotsheatyan

Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton

• Matt Ryan
    • Cam Newton

3 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Obviously that's a hard no, probably a question you don't need to ask.

I'd say it is given they're not even the 2nd best team in their division and have o-line issues, WR issues, secondary issues and a whole lot of ?s on defense. 

You’re the one who said every team had a 1/32 chance, not me.

And how is it a given they aren’t even the 2nd best team?  They won 11 games last year, more than the Falcons, and could have won the division in Week 17 (same # of wins as Saints).  It isn’t a given at all.  They are just as good as the other 2 teams.

As far as the defense, we have significant questions about our secondary but that’s every year with us.  Our front seven is still dominant.  

6 hours ago, iknowcool said:

And how is it a given they aren’t even the 2nd best team?  They won 11 games last year, more than the Falcons, and could have won the division in Week 17 (same # of wins as Saints).  It isn’t a given at all.  They are just as good as the other 2 teams.

As far as the defense, we have significant questions about our secondary but that’s every year with us.  Our front seven is still dominant.  

Yeah there's math and then there's reality, you're the one making the assumption mate.

The panthers have clearly regressed since last year and even though they won more games than the falcons, Falcons won the more important of the two contests last year and played better in both games.

I mean outside of Short and your LBs who do you have besides an aging Peppers and medicore dudes?

On 8/18/2018 at 10:29 AM, Malik said:

Matt Ryan is the better passer of the two easily. Matt Ryan also plays in the most ideal passing conditions of any QB during his career not named Peyton Manning.

I have a bit of a beef with this because i fully disagree on it.  I don't know why people think the only thing that matters to a QB's success is a few skill position players.  I honestly think the most important thing to a QB's success is having a legit O-line in front of you and a solid defense to back you.    If you give a QB enough time for a play to develop or a O-line that can help give the QB a legit run game to back him.  Then more often than not if the QB has any talent at all much less top 10 talent he will win you a ton of games and a SB.  Now on the other hand outside of the last 3 years or so Ryan in general has had a below avg O-line and sometimes a crap one.   He has proven he can turn a below AVG WR into a 1000+ yard receiver in harry douglas when he is the #1 WR on the team for the season.  He has more TD's in a season to random receivers than any QB in history which means he can and will distribute the ball to people who aren't that talented as well and make them work.    We actually have won the last 4 games Julio was out and ryan has had pretty good numbers those games as well.

Then you go to the defense which imo has cost the falcons A TON OF GAMES over the years where until Quinn got here we were pretty much in the bottom 20 or so of defensive units almost every year.   Which means Ryan is off the field longer and his defense is not getting turnovers as much to get him the ball back to do something with and is not holding leads that our offense and ryan was most of the time getting.

So no i don't agree Ryan had the best passing conditions outside of manning because outside of some really solid skill position players he didn't have much else besides that his whole career.   I would MUCH MUCH have rather had a a top tier O-line and defense to back Ryan than those skill players.  You might prefer the skill guys over the trenches and D but i surely do not and we have neglected both of them for a very long time until lately.

2 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I have a bit of a beef with this because i fully disagree on it.  I don't know why people think the only thing that matters to a QB's success is a few skill position players.  I honestly think the most important thing to a QB's success is having a legit O-line in front of you and a solid defense to back you.    If you give a QB enough time for a play to develop or a O-line that can help give the QB a legit run game to back him.  Then more often than not if the QB has any talent at all much less top 10 talent he will win you a ton of games and a SB.  Now on the other hand outside of the last 3 years or so Ryan in general has had a below avg O-line and sometimes a crap one.   He has proven he can turn a below AVG WR into a 1000+ yard receiver in harry douglas when he is the #1 WR on the team for the season.  He has more TD's in a season to random receivers than any QB in history which means he can and will distribute the ball to people who aren't that talented as well and make them work.    We actually have won the last 4 games Julio was out and ryan has had pretty good numbers those games as well.

Then you go to the defense which imo has cost the falcons A TON OF GAMES over the years where until Quinn got here we were pretty much in the bottom 20 or so of defensive units almost every year.   Which means Ryan is off the field longer and his defense is not getting turnovers as much to get him the ball back to do something with and is not holding leads that our offense and ryan was most of the time getting.

So no i don't agree Ryan had the best passing conditions outside of manning because outside of some really solid skill position players he didn't have much else besides that his whole career.   I would MUCH MUCH have rather had a a top tier O-line and defense to back Ryan than those skill players.  You might prefer the skill guys over the trenches and D but i surely do not and we have neglected both of them for a very long time until lately.

I think he's referring to playing in a dome 9/16 games of the year. 

2 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

The Falcons have had average defenses the majority of Matt Ryan's career. Also "bottom 20" is a terrible figure to use consider there are 32 teams in the league. 20 teams is nearly 2/3 of the entire league. The same with the team's takeaway/giveaway ratio which has pretty much never been bad in Matt Ryan's career. All this talk about having a terrible offensive line is also vastly overblown. Never during his entire tenure during the league has anyone talked about the Falcons having the worst or near worst pass protection in the league.

I think he's referring to playing in a dome 9/16 games of the year. 

Plus the two other games in sunny Florida and North Carolina. He's played pretty much his entire career in great weather, great receivers, and a decent o-line. 

2 hours ago, Malik said:

The Falcons have had average defenses the majority of Matt Ryan's career. Also "bottom 20" is a terrible figure to use consider there are 32 teams in the league. 20 teams is nearly 2/3 of the entire league. The same with the team's takeaway/giveaway ratio which has pretty much never been bad in Matt Ryan's career. All this talk about having a terrible offensive line is also vastly overblown. Never during his entire tenure during the league has anyone talked about the Falcons having the worst or near worst pass protection in the league.

Plus the two other games in sunny Florida and North Carolina. He's played pretty much his entire career in great weather, great receivers, and a decent o-line. 

Im sorry i do apologize i used bottom 20 the wrong way i meant to say bottom 10.  Like we only finished better than 20th once the whole time sorry about that malik.

We finished 
2008 - 24th 
2009- 21st
2010- 16th -  our best year was still only good enough for middle of the pack xD
2011- 21st
2012- 24th
2013- 27th
2014-  32nd  - Dead last :(
2015-  16th - (1st year of Quinn)
2016-  25th - (bad start to the season but by the end of it we was playing like a top 10 D.  In 2017 we started to be the top 10 we showed late in the season.
2017 - 9th

Offensive line i'll somewhat give you although we weren't exactly great alot of people would agree we didn't have anyone really worth much on our O-line that people would say is above avg outside of maybe Todd Mcclure and even he im not sure ppl would say was a top 10 Center?  We wasn't trash but i really don't think we were a top 16 OL.   I personally did like some of the players we had on the O-line though and don't think our coaches got enough out of them.  Most fans of other teams thought they sucked though sadly :(

As for Ryan playing in good weather conditions you won't hear a peep from me on that i fully agree he has had some great weather conditions to play in most of his career anyone that says otherwise is full of it i think. 

13 hours ago, iknowcool said:

You are also conveniently forgetting Cam's history.  He has NEVER followed up a winning season with another winning season in his entire career.  Also, last year had a lot of fluky things happen in the NFC South and I don't personally believe the final regular season records accurately reflect the actual strengths of the teams in that division.  The Falcons simply have a much more dynamic and talented overall roster than the Panthers do.  I also think their roster is better overall than the Saints roster for that matter, but you just never know how a season is going to take shape.  Its not inconceivable to me to believe that ANY of the 4 NFC South teams COULD win the division this year (this ain't basketball where GS is an absolute lock to win the whole thing), so all these predictions are just personal opinions. 

I've already made my predictions regarding the NFC standings at the end of the year and I have the Falcons finishing 12-4, winning the NFC South, and getting the #2 seed in the NFC behind the Eagles.  The Saints get second in the division and the #5 seed in the NFC.  The Panthers will finish no better than 8-8 (again, based on their 7-year history with Cam as QB) and out of the playoffs this year.  TB will finish a distant 4th in a season where the Jameis Winston trainwreck fully goes off the rails and the Bucs will urgently be in search of their next QB after this season, at least IMO.  

2 hours ago, megatechpc said:

You are also conveniently forgetting Cam's history.  He has NEVER followed up a winning season with another winning season in his entire career.  Also, last year had a lot of fluky things happen in the NFC South and I don't personally believe the final regular season records accurately reflect the actual strengths of the teams in that division.  The Falcons simply have a much more dynamic and talented overall roster than the Panthers do.  I also think their roster is better overall than the Saints roster for that matter, but you just never know how a season is going to take shape.  Its not inconceivable to me to believe that ANY of the 4 NFC South teams COULD win the division this year (this ain't basketball where GS is an absolute lock to win the whole thing), so all these predictions are just personal opinions. 

What? 

All I said is it isn’t a given the Panthers are the 3rd team, because it isn’t.  I wasn’t making a prediction on how things will play out. And it definitely isn’t a given.  You can come up with any excuse you’d like but the fact is the Panthers finished with more wins against a similar schedule - they were clearly on the same level as the Falcons.

And don’t act like the Falcons are a model team of consistency if we’re going with that argument.  What were they doing before 2016?  Panthers have been by far the most consistent NFC South team since 2013.  They have the most wins and playoff appearances of any team in that stretch.  So even if Cam isn’t consistent, the team has been, at least more so than the Falcons.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

You also just had to run the ball, but people forget that the great Kyle Shanahan wet the bed.

You telling me man i still don't understand wtf shanny was thinking.  He has a massive problem out thinking himself at times he is almost to smart for his own good lol.  This might be the 1 problem i have with Ryan he is almost too good and trusting of a person to his coaches to a fault.   At times like these i wouldn't have minded him taking the game into his own hands and said screw the call were running it.    from people in the stands that were there they said you could hear Ryan on the sideline yelling at one point saying  RUN THE GD BALL.  so he knew what needed to be done but the coach's wouldn't listen  :(

Archived