Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton

patriotsheatyan

Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton

• Matt Ryan
    • Cam Newton

On 8/19/2018 at 1:55 AM, megatechpc said:

Matt Ryan didn’t lose that SB.  Cam Newton did lose his SB.

Matt Ryan was playing on a loaded offense with one of the best OCs in the game against an alright NE defense. 

Cam Newton played against one of the GOAT defenses with an underwhelming offense and coaching staff. 

Not exactly equal feats.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Matt Ryan was playing on a loaded offense with one of the best OCs in the game against an alright NE defense. 

Cam Newton played against one of the GOAT defenses with an underwhelming offense and coaching staff. 

Not exactly equal feats.

Still don't see how a OC thats so damn good can do what he did the last 2 quarters of that game it just doesn't make sense at all :(

Just now, FalconFan13 said:

Still don't see how a OC thats so damn good can do what he did the last 2 quarters of that game it just doesn't make sense at all :(

Definitely true. Shanny and Quinn did no favors for Ryan in the last quarter and a half. It took a storm of bad things to happen for the outcome to be what it was. 

Fwiw, I picked Ryan in the poll. It’s just their two SB matchups weren’t exactly started with equal sets of cards for the quarterbacks.

On 19/08/2018 at 1:55 AM, megatechpc said:

Matt Ryan didn’t lose that SB.  Cam Newton did lose his SB.

On 19/08/2018 at 4:13 AM, SwoleXmad said:

Obviously that's a hard no, probably a question you don't need to ask.

I'd say it is given they're not even the 2nd best team in their division and have o-line issues, WR issues, secondary issues and a whole lot of ?s on defense. 

Ah yes the Falcons are so legit despite the obvious fact their OC is terrible and will most likely be their downfall, they're a very solid veteran team but the Falcons are due for a regression.

Matt Ryan did nothing to lose that SB other than not audible to more run plays to kill the clock

If Ryan moves the chains, his team wins the SB. Ryan limitations as a passer (and runner) cost the Falcons. Newton can run the clock by himself if necessary. He can also throw far enough so that Julio Jones never only ends up with 3-4 TDs a year. Newton doesn't lose many games with Ryan's weapons, but Ryan loses many games with Newton's weapons. So Newton is better imho.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Not exactly equal feats.

Matt Ryan also had a 28-3 lead in his game at the end of the 3rd quarter.  He doesnt play defense last I checked.

1 hour ago, celestial said:

If Ryan moves the chains, his team wins the SB. Ryan limitations as a passer (and runner) cost the Falcons. Newton can run the clock by himself if necessary. He can also throw far enough so that Julio Jones never only ends up with 3-4 TDs a year. Newton doesn't lose many games with Ryan's weapons, but Ryan loses many games with Newton's weapons. So Newton is better imho.

Didn't his limitations as a passer get them a 28-3 lead in a SB? Like what limitations as a passer does he have? Can he not throw lefty? His arm strength is good I do not see the issue here.

Newton is not a better QB but whatever you gotta say to justify your opinion man.

We don't know that last part, and we never will but ok.

Matt Ryan and it isn't close IMO.

Yes Cam Newton is a freak athlete, but he's really never proven that he is a good passing QB on a consistent year to year basis, and that matters a lot more than being able to move with your feet.

2 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Matt Ryan also had a 28-3 lead in his game at the end of the 3rd quarter.  He doesnt play defense last I checked.

Yeah, the Falcons scored 21 vs the Panther’s 10. 

Still foolish to compare the two performances, given their circumstances.

Maybe you guys don't care about this issue but I think "heart" is a big factor when comparing two QB's.  All I know is that I lost almost every shred of respect I ever had for Cam Newton after watching his embarrassing display of the lack thereof during his SB, so none of the other noise really matters to me at this point.  He proved what a gutless coward he is when he didn't dive after his own fumble with the SB on the line and that is that.  I've seen Matt Ryan take an ungodly number of vicious beatings over the years playing behind very suspect OL's and never once did I have any reason to question his heart.  Sure he is not an athletic QB and many of his sacks are the result of him simply not being capable of getting out of the way, but he always comes back out there and hangs in the pocket no matter how bad he's about to get creamed.  

Cam makes "business decisions" (along with showboating and being a massive diva), while Ryan gets business done.  Then when you compare their stats as QB's on top of that factor, there just is no comparison.  In fact, I truly believe that if Cam didn't have his rushing ability to rely upon he would already be carrying a clipboard somewhere. His passing stats are simply not starter-level in this league IMO, outside his MVP season.  

9 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

He already had his bags packed and was thinking about his new roster in SF rather than about finishing the SB with a team he no longer cared about.  The guy forgot his playbook for the SB at the media day for God sake!  Smh...

10 hours ago, celestial said:

Im sorry if you think the 4th highest QB rating in SB history at 144.1 and only missing 5 throws the entire game wasn't good enough taking his team to a 28-3 lead at the 4th quarter.   Whats even worse is he actually did use his arm to get the team in a winnable position on the crazy throw and catch him and julio made.  Then after the sack he actually got us back in FG range with a throw to sanu which would have given us a strong chance to still win it.  But Jake Matthews chocked a DE to the ground to get a hold call to negate that throw to Sanu.   Also not Ryan's fault Freeman completely whiffed on a block to allows a strip sack. 

I'll be the 1st to admit Ryan isn't perfect but he played his *** off in 2016 and in the playoffs leading up to the SB and deserved to win that ring.     As of right now Ryan has the 3rd highest QB rating of all Qb's in the playoffs for his career at  100.8  the only 2 beating him are  Bart Starr and Kurt Warner.    Drew Brees and Rodgers are 4th and 5th so he is in some dang good company with those 4.  Considering how bad ryan began in the playoffs when he was younger he has turned it around tremendously to become one of the best playoff QB's in the league when he gets there.

6 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Cam makes "business decisions" (along with showboating and being a massive diva), while Ryan gets business done.  

Yea, the guy who routinely unnecessarily leaps into the end zone and runs up the gut more than any QB is someone who isn’t tough and just makes “business decisions”. 

Are you really about to act like Cam hasn’t had a bad OL either?  Come on now.  Did you even watch that Super Bowl?  Newton got destroyed behind his line.

FWIW I don’t think Newton is better (he has traits that make him more desirable depending on the circumstances).  But his toughness, or supposed lack thereof, definitely isn’t a reason.  The guy finished a season with a torn labrum.  He’s plenty tough.

8 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Maybe you guys don't care about this issue but I think "heart" is a big factor when comparing two QB's.  All I know is that I lost almost every shred of respect I ever had for Cam Newton after watching his embarrassing display of the lack thereof during his SB, so none of the other noise really matters to me at this point.  He proved what a gutless coward he is when he didn't dive after his own fumble with the SB on the line and that is that.  I've seen Matt Ryan take an ungodly number of vicious beatings over the years playing behind very suspect OL's and never once did I have any reason to question his heart.  Sure he is not an athletic QB and many of his sacks are the result of him simply not being capable of getting out of the way, but he always comes back out there and hangs in the pocket no matter how bad he's about to get creamed.  

Cam makes "business decisions" (along with showboating and being a massive diva), while Ryan gets business done.  Then when you compare their stats as QB's on top of that factor, there just is no comparison.  In fact, I truly believe that if Cam didn't have his rushing ability to rely upon he would already be carrying a clipboard somewhere. His passing stats are simply not starter-level in this league IMO, outside his MVP season.  

It just sounds like you're a falcons fan who hates Cam because he lost a superbowl and was upset about it, and to top it off he doesn't have "Heart" and is a coward because he didn't dive on a fumble along with being a "Diva and showboater" when 90% of the league is about showboating and ratings. I get that rubs some people the wrong way but if Julio did that you'd be defending him and saying he's just passionate or something.

Cam Newton played like (2-3 weeks?) after a major car crash in a losing season(Still can't believe  they won the division that year, especially in week 17 against the falcons) but sure he doesn't have heart. 

Archived