Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Ryan vs Cam Newton

• Matt Ryan
    • Cam Newton

On 8/18/2018 at 7:53 PM, SwoleXmad said:

1/32 chance every year to win a SB. 

1/16 chance to win your conference.

Wentz I don't count as a superbowl QB since he didn't play in it. 

It's an unlikely event given how stacked the NFC is so eh.

I mean... your odds are kinda assuming every team has an equal chance to make/win the Super Bowl which is obviously untrue. Else, the Patriots are the luckiest team on the planet.

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

The last twenty years? Eli. Warner.

I don't know how I blanked on Eli...Whoops, still only 3 is rare. Though that's 6/20 SBs so....nevermind.

But still compared to the AFC which has had a repeat QB go to the SB pretty much every year (except Flacco in 2012 and whoever else I'm blanking on)

8 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

It just sounds like you're a falcons fan who hates Cam because he lost a superbowl and was upset about it, and to top it off he doesn't have "Heart" and is a coward because he didn't dive on a fumble along with being a "Diva and showboater" when 90% of the league is about showboating and ratings. I get that rubs some people the wrong way but if Julio did that you'd be defending him and saying he's just passionate or something.

Cam Newton played like (2-3 weeks?) after a major car crash in a losing season(Still can't believe  they won the division that year, especially in week 17 against the falcons) but sure he doesn't have heart. 

Uh, you're right, I dont like Cam.  Is that not allowed?

12 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Uh, you're right, I dont like Cam.  Is that not allowed?

He's a rival QB it's your eternal right to hate his guts.

But don't let that bias blind you to the fact Cam Newton is a swell guy who wears pimp coats and increasingly stupid outfits.

2 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

I don't know how I blanked on Eli...Whoops, still only 3 is rare. Though that's 6/20 SBs so....nevermind.

But still compared to the AFC which has had a repeat QB go to the SB pretty much every year (except Flacco in 2012 and whoever else I'm blanking on)

7/20 since Warner went to 3. :)

6 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

But don't let that bias blind you to the fact Cam Newton is a swell guy who wears pimp coats and increasingly stupid outfits.

I can't honestly make any judgement one way or the other as to his "swellness" other than from what I have seen of his character in the NFL.  Sure the ridiculous attire is not any indication of his actual personality, but his sulking alone on the sideline with the towel over his head, or his multiple instances of running from questions after games, or even those sexist comments he made to the female reporter are certainly indicators that would lead me to believe that Cam Newton is not as good a person as Matt Ryan (who has given us literally zero reason to ever question his character over the years; so much so that people actually criticize him for not having any personality). 

Like I said, I can't say for sure which one is a better human being at the end of the day because I don't personally know either of them, but I can tell you which one is a vastly superior QB and that is Matt Ryan.  You can call me biased (and I am) but I would say the same if I wasn't a Falcons fan as well.  For instance, I think Matt Stafford is a vastly better QB than Cam as well and I'm certainly no Lions fan (and Ryan is better than Stafford too).

12 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

I can't honestly make any judgement one way or the other as to his "swellness" other than from what I have seen of his character in the NFL.  Sure the ridiculous attire is not any indication of his actual personality, but his sulking alone on the sideline with the towel over his head, or his multiple instances of running from questions after games, or even those sexist comments he made to the female reporter are certainly indicators that would lead me to believe that Cam Newton is not as good a person as Matt Ryan (who has given us literally zero reason to ever question his character over the years; so much so that people actually criticize him for not having any personality). 

Like I said, I can't say for sure which one is a better human being at the end of the day because I don't personally know either of them, but I can tell you which one is a vastly superior QB and that is Matt Ryan.  You can call me biased (and I am) but I would say the same if I wasn't a Falcons fan as well.  For instance, I think Matt Stafford is a vastly better QB than Cam as well and I'm certainly no Lions fan (and Ryan is better than Stafford too).

Yeah it's not like Matt Ryan is a "reformed trash talker" or anything. https://www.myajc.com/sports/football/falcons-quarterback-admits-being-reformed-trash-talker/9EFVufNtMawdgjKnEZ9xyI/ 

Judge Cam Newton as much as you want, it's your right as a rival sports fan. Just don't let that bias overwhelm it to the point where you can't be objective, good luck to your Falcons this season.

As I said, I don't know them personally so I can't judge either on what kind of people they are (for all I know Ryan beats his kids and wife at home), but my personal dislike for Cam due to his antics is NOT the reason I believe Ryan is a far better QB; its his inconsistency and his stats.  Ryan has just done a far better job as QB than Cam has.  I know you have to count his rushing stats when talking about Cam because that's such a big part of his game, but Matt Ryan's passing abilities and consistency is so much better than Cam's that his rushing is not enough to make him as good of a QB.  I don't think there are many (if any) scouts or GM's in the NFL right now that would rate Cam over Matt Ryan, and the poll results in this thread also conclude the same.  Cam is still a LOT better than many QB's out there, I'm not saying he sucks at all (2015 Cam was unstoppable), but Matt Ryan is clearly a better QB bias or no.

Thanks for the good luck, we are going to need it playing in the South with both Cam AND Brees to deal with!

On 21/08/2018 at 3:37 AM, FalconFan13 said:

Im sorry if you think the 4th highest QB rating in SB history at 144.1 and only missing 5 throws the entire game wasn't good enough taking his team to a 28-3 lead at the 4th quarter.   Whats even worse is he actually did use his arm to get the team in a winnable position on the crazy throw and catch him and julio made.  Then after the sack he actually got us back in FG range with a throw to sanu which would have given us a strong chance to still win it.  But Jake Matthews chocked a DE to the ground to get a hold call to negate that throw to Sanu.   Also not Ryan's fault Freeman completely whiffed on a block to allows a strip sack. 

I'll be the 1st to admit Ryan isn't perfect but he played his *** off in 2016 and in the playoffs leading up to the SB and deserved to win that ring.     As of right now Ryan has the 3rd highest QB rating of all Qb's in the playoffs for his career at  100.8  the only 2 beating him are  Bart Starr and Kurt Warner.    Drew Brees and Rodgers are 4th and 5th so he is in some dang good company with those 4.  Considering how bad ryan began in the playoffs when he was younger he has turned it around tremendously to become one of the best playoff QB's in the league when he gets there.

Shanahan could give Cam one of the highest QB ratings in history too. That's not Ryan's doing, it's Shanahan's. Cam could do more with Julio than Ryan does. Nick Foles had a fantastically high QB rating in his SB too. That doesn't make him a good QB. 

20 hours ago, celestial said:

Shanahan could give Cam one of the highest QB ratings in history too. That's not Ryan's doing, it's Shanahan's. Cam could do more with Julio than Ryan does. Nick Foles had a fantastically high QB rating in his SB too. That doesn't make him a good QB. 

Believe it or not i like cam but he is what he is as far as his plays style and accuracy goes.   Im honestly not sure how well Cam would do in Shanny's system with how he runs it might actually be a detriment to cam's playing style and not let him freelance as much which is what he does better than most QB's in the league.    Nick Foles i agree isn't a great QB although i do think he is a solid QB overall.  With that said 10 years of Ryan putting up numbers to put him on pace the highest stats QB in history if he plays as long as all of them says it all wasn't just Shanny doing it.   Ryans numbers in 2016 were very good but they weren't so much more ridiculous than the rest of his seasons.  He always puts up 4k+ yards 25 to 30+ TD's every year it's not like he is some scrub without shanny that shanny completely made him a different QB. 

23 hours ago, celestial said:

Oh look, a bunch of theoretical garbage that can conveniently never be proven one way or another.  The fact is that Cam at his very best is simply no where near the QB Matt Ryan is at his best.  He is inaccurate, immature, inconsistent, petulant, and far too emotional (big reason for his inconsistency).  Cam is the quintessential "front-runner"; he's great when everything goes his way and the team is winning.  But throw any adversity in there and he sulks under his towel like a spoiled brat.  There's no question he is an elite athlete with physical talent that Ryan could never hope to possess, but mentally Cam is a basket case and QB is 90% mental at the end of the day.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:58 AM, SwoleXmad said:

Matt Ryan has been the better QB.

Newton is more talented.

Both will never win a Superbowl barring some massive luck.

IMO Ryan will appear in a SB before Newton.  Newton is more physically talented but Ryan seems to be the better passer.

On 8/21/2018 at 6:16 PM, SwoleXmad said:

xD  He does wear the zaniest stuff in his post game pressers.

Archived