Preseason week 2 GDT: 49ers vs Texans

Forge

Just watched the first couple series.  Quick thoughts

-CJ looked better.

-Pass blocking looks fine

-Run blocking mediocre at best. Somewhat concerned

-Jimmy is good

-Reuben Foster is going to be the best MLB in a year or two. 

-Pass rush still a concern, doesn't look worse and it looks like we'll consistently break pockets but we still need a finisher and not sure Marsh or Attachou is that guy. 

-Receiver is a legit strength for us. 

11 minutes ago, John232 said:

-CJ looked better.

Disagree with this, unless you're talking about from preseason game 1 to game 2. My biggest issue with him right now is that I don't see him as having progressed since last year if at all. He started games last year against NFL starting defenses, but he's struggling against second and third stringers in the preseason. I'm not sure Mullens is the answer, but I will admit that he looks much better than he did last year. 

13 minutes ago, John232 said:

Run blocking mediocre at best. Somewhat concerned

Yeah, this is an issue. I'm past somewhat concerned at this point...I'm just thnking the run game will be bad this year. But that's okay. While its nice to be balanced offensively, I don't think that it's a requirement if your passing game is good. I think the passing game will be good. 

14 minutes ago, John232 said:

-Jimmy is good

He really, really is. Contract be damned, I can't believe we got him for a second rounder. 

15 minutes ago, John232 said:

-Pass rush still a concern, doesn't look worse and it looks like we'll consistently break pockets but we still need a finisher and not sure Marsh or Attachou is that guy. 

I didn't even think we did a good job of pushing and breaking the pocket last night (well, DJ did...dude looked like a beast out there). But overall, particularly the starters, we did a really, really bad job of creating any pressure on Watson or even Weeden. That being said, most of our starting defensive line was out, so who's to say where we really are at this point. Our run defense looks like its going to be really good though. 

17 minutes ago, John232 said:

-Reuben Foster is going to be the best MLB in a year or two. 

He's an amazing linebacker. Just really good. He keeps his head on straight, he's a future all pro. 

18 minutes ago, John232 said:

Receiver is a legit strength for us. 

Agreed. No superstars, but a lot of guys who can get open, and the depth is really nice. 

18 minutes ago, John232 said:

-Pass blocking looks fine

Yeah, no major issues last night. The texans didn't play Watt, so there is that, but I thought overall it was nice. It helps that Jimmy G has what appears to be a lot of pocket awareness, so he's able to manipulate the pocket and create more time even when the protection isn't great. That plus his quick release is going to make the offensive line probably better than it is, but on the whole, I think that this will largely be fine. 

Yeah, Worth noting Forge, I watched like 3 series. I think DJ Jones, Buck, Taylor and Solly, when playing together can consistently break the pocket down. That's more or less what I was getting at. But it's still a weakness. And in regards to CJ, definitely meant from this game to last game. Not since last year. I'm just not quite at the point where I feel the sky is falling with him. 

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

You have to bend at the waist to hit a guy with your shoulder. Bending at the waist is not the same ad leading with your head. The league needs to clarify this for the refs. 

Problem is that it's going to be so hard to call and judge. There was nothing wrong with the Mosert hit. 

7 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Problem is that it's going to be so hard to call and judge. There was nothing wrong with the Mosert hit. 

Did you see the sack in the Vikings game? Not sure if someone posted it in here, but seriously cleanest tackle ever and they called the helmet penalty. There are going to be so many awful calls on that this year. Will certainly decide multiple games in the NFL I think

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Did you see the sack in the Vikings game? Not sure if someone posted it in here, but seriously cleanest tackle ever and they called the helmet penalty. There are going to be so many awful calls on that this year. Will certainly decide multiple games in the NFL I think

Do you have a link? And I agree, I don't doubt that the players are going to mentally struggle with how to adjust to the new rule. Sherman tweeted about it yesterday, I believe. 

9 hours ago, N4L said:

They said that his brother in law was murdered like 10 days ago. Seems like the guy has some serious family issues, but this is the NFL. You have to put all of that aside and be a professional. 

Sometimes you just have to cut a guy loose. Maybe this will help the front office reign in trading up to get Kyle's guys? I mean, it's perfectly acceptable to be an incredible head coach while also being a hit or miss talent evaluator. Maybe he should let his dad do some legwork on potential rbs..  we didn't draft anyone in this deep rb class and I was disappointed. Felt like the year to get a talented guy in the 5th or 6th 

Yeah I thought it was really odd not to a least take a flier on a bigger, more physical RB later in the draft.

20 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yeah I thought it was really odd not to a least take a flier on a bigger, more physical RB later in the draft.

Bo Scarborough would have made a ton of sense, but I'm good with how we played round 7

11 hours ago, N4L said:

Also that Jimmy G throw to Goodwin was good to get on film. He had good footwork and used his hips well. Still looked effortless and it was perfectly placed. Basically hit Goodwin in the helmet. We are giving the Vikings something to think about by connecting on those. Zimmer plays things pretty straight up most of the time anyways, but showing him balance deep will help keep the middle and the underneath routes open ... I just hope we can block them. 

The jags screened Minnesota to death today early in the game. It was wide wide open multiple times in a row. TJ yeldon actually looked really good. Keeping the safeties honest could help turn a 10 yard screen into a 50 yard touchdown with McKinnons top end, straightline speed

Jim and Juice was hilarious, loved it.

Oh, and garnet did not impress. He still has a belly on him. Had a couple of decent plays but also had some that weren't up to snuff.. 

Garnett wasn't bad at all. He will always struggle a bit in pass protection, but did well in the run game. And with Jimmy G having such a quick release, the offense can overcome his shortcomings in pass protection. Person definitely has him beat there, but Garnett is the superior run blocker. Person likely gets the start week 1, but Garnett had a fairly promising performance. It was Cooper who I wasn't impressed with. 

Find someone that loves you as much as Baldinger loves Jimmy G:

And damn is Watson a stud. Jimmy G vs Watson in a SB at some point in the next three years? Both guys have small sample sizes but you could tell they have the "it" factor. Still some flaws obviously but they more than make up for it in other areas of their game. 

I know Morris just got here, but thought he would get some rushes. Instead they chose to go with Wilson.....Who was actually looking better than both McNichols and Williams. 

Mabin looked good in coverage. The last CB spot may come down to him or Powell. The locks are Sherman/Spoon/Williams/Reed/Moore. And you can count Ward but he will also be one of the back up safeties. But I haven't seen Ward play one snap at safety in preseason nor have heard anything about him playing safety at TC. So is that even true anymore? Is he a back up at every secondary position or now a full time corner? If he is a full time corner, then that will be six CBs and Mabin/Powell both will miss out. Though with Williams injury, only back up safety that will likely make the team now is James. After him who? 

Garnett played well last night. I was watching closely and I came away impressed. He meshed well with the rest of the line and most importantly he looked like he belonged in the scheme. He was moving well and got to the second level in the run game routinely. I hope he gets the start next week, I"d like to see him against some stronger pass rushers.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Garnett wasn't bad at all. He will always struggle a bit in pass protection, but did well in the run game. And with Jimmy G having such a quick release, the offense can overcome his shortcomings in pass protection. Person definitely has him beat there, but Garnett is the superior run blocker. Person likely gets the start week 1, but Garnett had a fairly promising performance. It was Cooper who I wasn't impressed with. 

Find someone that loves you as much as Baldinger loves Jimmy G:

And damn is Watson a stud. Jimmy G vs Watson in a SB at some point in the next three years? Both guys have small sample sizes but you could tell they have the "it" factor. Still some flaws obviously but they more than make up for it in other areas of their game. 

I know Morris just got here, but thought he would get some rushes. Instead they chose to go with Wilson.....Who was actually looking better than both McNichols and Williams. 

Mabin looked good in coverage. The last CB spot may come down to him or Powell. The locks are Sherman/Spoon/Williams/Reed/Moore. And you can count Ward but he will also be one of the back up safeties. But I haven't seen Ward play one snap at safety in preseason nor have heard anything about him playing safety at TC. So is that even true anymore? Is he a back up at every secondary position or now a full time corner? If he is a full time corner, then that will be six CBs and Mabin/Powell both will miss out. Though with Williams injury, only back up safety that will likely make the team now is James. After him who? 

I think Ward is definitely the defacto safety. And I don't think he needs a bunch of reps there to make that known. If anything happens to either Tartt or Colbert, he is the starter@FS, no doubt in my mind. I just believe they would feel more comfortable with him at that spot than Reed at this point.That could change as Reed develops over the course of the season but right now I feel Ward is the back-up FS. I would argue that both Ward and Reed will be the primary back-ups@safety. I don't see a true SS in the Tartt mold making the 53. I think if Tartt were to go down, they would move Colbert to SS and start Ward. They'll have a guy like James or Williams, Jr on the PS if injuries occur. And it seems more and more likely that Eric Reid will be a phone call away if we need him during the season. But if we're going with the notion that the most talented DBs make the roster, none of the backup SS have been good enough to unseat Reed, Powell, or Moore IMO. Right now I have 3 safteies(Tartt, Colbert, and Reed) and 6 corners(Sherm, Spoon, Ward, Williams, Moore, and Powell) making the 53.

Personally, I've always wanted to see what Powell could do@safety. That's where played in college and I thought he was a underrated safety prospect when he came out. Seattle thought he was atheltic and fast enough to play on the outside and he's been kind of stuck@CB ever since but I've always thought he looked more natural in the middle of the field as opposed to turning and running with guys down field...but it is what it is.

I just don't see it in Mabin. Made some plays but I just see a PS type of talent right now...

Completely slipped my mind that Reed has been getting most of his practice reps at FS. That was until Williams got hurt as he the started taking first team nickel reps. So a spot will be available for either Mabin or Powell. McFadden and Moseley are PS candidates. 

I wouldn't  be surprised at all if Reed gets his number called before Ward if Colbert goes down. 

As for Jimmy G, it is hilarious that people keep saying I need to see more or let's wait until he plays a season to crown him. Look, crown him whenever you want, I don't care. However, it is clear as day he has certain skill sets that won't let him fail. Does he still have some flaws? Sure, he is a bit of a risk taker and that leads to some INTs and his deep ball is still unproven, but the way he is able to quickly process the field to go along with his quick release is special. Dude is able to go from option one to two to three in a matter of seconds. His feet never stop moving in the pocket and he is able to improvise when the pocket breaks down. That side arm TD to Taylor was a good example of that. 

Good times ahead man, good times. 

Archived