Iloka to the Vikes?

The Gnat

I was not expecting to see that. It must be a single year deal where he wants to get onto a team that he knows the coach/defense and can get up and running quickly. Probably need him for when Sendejo gets suspended for a hit sometime this year.

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

If they get Iloka for a bargain, Sendejo could be moved for an OL? Maybe to Dallas?

Morning show guys were just talking about that. Dallas does definitely need a safety. 

I don't know that Sendejo would fetch all that much in a trade. There are still a couple starting quality Safeties left in free agency. I don't think the signing had anything to do with Sendejo, but more with adding a quality football player with knowledge of the defense. 

Iloka was released by the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday after spending the first six seasons of his NFL career with the team. Over the past five seasons, Iloka has started 76 of a possible 80 games for the Bengals. Last season, he tied his career high with 79 tackles to go along with five passes defended and one interception. In 83 career NFL regular-season games, the 28-year-old veteran has registered 346 tackles, 32 passes defended and nine interceptions.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2792146-george-iloka-rumors-ex-bengals-db-to-visit-vikings-likely-to-sign-contract

from a Cincy fan:

"For a SS, I think he's fine in coverage.  Just don't expect him to be a deep coverage safety or have a lot of range.  I think if you match him up one on one with a TE or RB he'll do Ok, but he's more of an in the box safety.  He also racks up a lot of personal foul penalties.  Him and Burfict I expected to get flagged plenty with the new helmet rule.

He also doesn't create a lot of turnovers.  In about 1,000 defensive snaps last season, he had 1 INT and 0 FFs.

I think PFF had him rated as the 43rd best Safety in the NFL, which is about right.  I think he's a top 50 safety, which isn't bad.  I don't think the team that adds him will regret it, but you're not getting an elite safety either..."

It'll be interesting to see how it impacts the DB depth.  Iloka is only going to come in as a backup...he isn't taking Sendejo's job at this stage.  It might be the end of either Anthony Harris or Jayron Kearse.  Harris is in the last year of his deal, but Kearse has still got 2 years.  I'd be somewhat disappointed at losing either one, but, it'd probably only be for a couple of days, kind of like after they cut Robert Blanton.  

Archived