PHREAK'S Dynasty League (Discussion Thread)

WE-R-Lions

29 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'll never understand this. Fantasy is nothing like real sports.

Real sports:

Team A beats Team B, 24-3

Team C beats Team D, 40-35

Conclusion: Team A dominated defensively and put up an impressive win. Team C won in a shootout, but the defense allowed 35 points and needs to play better. Team C might be the best team of the four, but Team A could very well be better.

Fantasy:

Team A beats Team B, 24-3

Team C beats Team D, 40-35

Conclusion: Team A only won because Team B is hot garbage. Team D was clearly better than Team A as well. Despite the records, Team A is the 3rd worst team and was lucky to get the win.

They just aren't even comparable. When you can't control how many points your opponent scores, the only thing that matters is points for.

Well my conclusions in both is that teams A and C got wins.  If team D happened to be playing A or B that week, they would have won, but they didn't so they have an L on their record.  The playoffs depend on that win loss record in both real and fantasy football. 

In fantasy its all fake, you create a team that can score 200 one week and 80 the next.  What if someone makes a trade mid season and their team is better at the end of the year than their total points for the year?  Or if a team is the top scoring team through 7 weeks and then CMC gets hurt and his team is hot garbage at the end but because of their hot start they are still a top 8 team points wise?  Its simulating real football, and thats what W-L brings to the game.  Again, if you just like to play games you can control such as the scoring, then play bestball.  Its literally what you are saying with total points being the end all be all.  But thats not fantasy football. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Its simulating real football, and thats what W-L brings to the game.  Again, if you just like to play games you can control such as the scoring, then play bestball.  Its literally what you are saying with total points being the end all be all.  But thats not fantasy football. 

Part in bold: it's not. It's not at all. You can't play defense. You get points for yards. Missed kicks lead to lost point. I mean, it's not even a sport, and not made to reference a sport. It's a competition based on attributing points to events that happen in real sports, and you can't prevent your opponent from gaining points. It's completely different.

And, as I've made clear, I don't think points should "be the end all be all". I think the four division winners should make the playoffs. That's based on record and not points scored. After that, I think the next three teams should be based on points scored. In our league, for example, a 3-11 team would be in the playoffs, as they should be based on how well their team performed

Lastly, "fantasy football" is many different things. There are a variety of ways to play, including structures that consider points for. Pretending that fantasy football always uses record, and record alone, to determine standings isn't true at all.

35 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Part in bold: it's not. It's not at all. You can't play defense. You get points for yards. Missed kicks lead to lost point. I mean, it's not even a sport, and not made to reference a sport. It's a competition based on attributing points to events that happen in real sports, and you can't prevent your opponent from gaining points. It's completely different.

And, as I've made clear, I don't think points should "be the end all be all". I think the four division winners should make the playoffs. That's based on record and not points scored. After that, I think the next three teams should be based on points scored. In our league, for example, a 3-11 team would be in the playoffs, as they should be based on how well their team performed

Lastly, "fantasy football" is many different things. There are a variety of ways to play, including structures that consider points for. Pretending that fantasy football always uses record, and record alone, to determine standings isn't true at all.

Fantasy Football has always used record.  There are head to head vs roto baseball, basketball and hockey leagues but not so much in football.  I am sure you can find them but they are not common.  Bestball is a form of fantasy but it is not what people think about when you say you play fantasy football.  Thats why it has a different name.  

And yes, I get you don't play defense and have no control over someone else.  But that doesn't mean wins and losses are irrelevant.  You are taking what you can control to some extent and putting it up against what someone else can control in a head to head matchup.  

The name fantasy football implys we are making up a game out of football and it has for the most part, been structured around mimicking the structure of real football.  Its why most leagues you play a QB, a couple RBs and WRs, one TE, K, and then a team defense.  You are building a team like a real team.  The leagues typically are set up with divisions and a playoff structure very similar to the real thing.  It adds a layer to the season just like in real football where teams like Minny last year sneak into the playoffs with a negative net points and lose to a worse team. Similarly the Lions last year were playing better down the stretch than half of the playoffs and were top 8 in the league in point differential which is what they control, and yet didn't get in because of head to head matchups and W-L record. 

Seeding using total points makes sense, but determining who is in or out would make it boring and would not entice nearly as much mid season activity.  No point in making your team better if you are 6-6 but 12th in points and not enough time to catch up but if you are 6-6 and trade for say CMC, you will be a better team but not in the playoffs because your total points are low even if you win a few games to end the season.  

Again, I don't believe it should be based solely on points. I've already given an example that considers both. But, pretending that determining playoff spots should be based on record, when our team with the lowest record scored the 7th most points, is just ridiculous, and highlights the flaws with basing playoff teams on record.

Looking at this season:

#1 Seed - The Tako Experience - 1st in Points For (great)
#2 Seed - Old Man Jeb's - 2nd in Points For (great)
#3 Seed - King's Pride - 3rd in Points For (great)
#4 Seed - Bridge Four - 4th in Points For (great)
#5 Seed - Sandy Creek - 11th in Points For (terrible)
#6 Seed - PDX - 5th in Points For (good)

The would-be #7 Seed is TR Renegades, who finished 8th in Points For (fine).

Despite getting pretty lucky this year as far as Points For/Record, Sandy Creek making it over Prairie Dogs (6th in Points For) and Lions Pride81 (7th in Points For) is absurd, considering Sandy Creek had a poor year and lucked out by playing the second easiest schedule (1511 Points Against, second fewest in the league).

Based on my suggestion, this is how the playoffs would look this year:

#1 Seed (BYE) - The Tako Experience - won the B Layne division and finished 1st in Points For
#2 Seed (plays #7) - Old Man Jeb's - won the B Sanders division and finished 2nd in Points For
#3 Seed (plays #6) - King's Pride - won the J Hanson division and finished 3rd in Points For
#4 Seed (plays #5) - Bridge Four - won the C Johnson division and had the lowest Points For of the division winners
#5 Seed (plays #4) - PDX - best remaining Points For
#6 Seed (plays #3) - Prairie Dogs - second-best remaining Points For
#7 Seed (plays #2) - Lions Pride81 - third-best remaining Points For

Sandy Creek and TR Renegades would miss and be replaced by two teams that outperformed them this year. Record still matters, and a playoff team that got screwed by strength of schedule would still make the playoffs. It looks fantastic.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

On 12/14/2023 at 9:52 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

A great example: who was the better fantasy team this season, Det Fan782004 (7-7), TR Renegades (7-7) or Lions Pride81 (3-11)?

The answer is, obviously, Lions Pride81, who finished with the 6th most points scored with 1722, topping both Det Fan782004 (1692) and TR Renegades (1708).

Not whole picture. After making moves my team has put up 143 and 173 in past 5 games.

So it goes beyond pts. I added ton of talent later on

8 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Not whole picture. After making moves my team has put up 143 and 173 in past 5 games.

So it goes beyond pts. I added ton of talent later on

And, with that "ton of talent" you added, you also scored 93, 105 and 115 during that span. You were just lucky that your opponents scored 80, 78 and 74 in three of those wins.

You had the 3rd easiest schedule this year (1538 points against) and still only finished 7-7. If Lions Pride81 had your cake schedule, he's in the playoffs.

Edit: had to go look this up.

If Lions Pride81 had your schedule this season, this is how he would've performed:

Wk1: L
Wk2: L
Wk3: W
Wk4: L
Wk5: W
Wk6: W
Wk7: W
Wk8: L
Wk9: W
Wk10: W
Wk11: L
Wk12: W
Wk13: W
Wk14: W

Record: 9-5

Yep, the 3-13 team this year would've made the playoffs if they had your schedule.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

47 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

And, with that "ton of talent" you added, you also scored 93, 105 and 115 during that span. You were just lucky that your opponents scored 80, 78 and 74 in three of those wins.

You had the 3rd easiest schedule this year (1538 points against) and still only finished 7-7. If Lions Pride81 had your cake schedule, he's in the playoffs.

If Lions Pride81 had your schedule this season, this is how he would've performed:

Yep, the 3-13 team this year would've made the playoffs if they had your schedule.

👀

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yes you can't control injuries or what not.

if this turns to a point league I would have to consider stepping away.

pt league are boring 

13 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Yes you can't control injuries or what not.

if this turns to a point league I would have to consider stepping away.

pt league are boring 

You: "I added a ton of talent late in the season, hence two weeks where I scored a lot."

Me: "You also had three weeks of mediocre scores during that span, and were lucky to have opponents that scored very little."

You: "You can't control injuries."

... what?

And I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the guy in favor of expanding the number of playoff teams is against a system that emphasizes Points For.