Genard Avery's Pass Rush Stats

Fatgerman

Since Hue is in love with Genard, essentially saying he "feels" Genard's pass rush just like he does with Myles, whatever the hell that means, and Ole Greg says he's our second best pass rusher, I figured it's time to dive into his 2017 PFF pass rush stats.

He rushed the passer 245 times last season, a little over half of his total snaps. He accumulated 8 sacks, 13 QB hits, 29 pressures, adding up to a total of 50 productive pass rushes. That means that he affected the QB 1 out of every 5 rushes, or a smidge over 20%

To compare with other name brand pass rushers from the 2018 NFL draft(rounding each percentage):

Bradley Chubb 14%

Sam Hubbard 15%

Harold Landry 11%

Our very own Chad Thomas 12%

The closest rusher to Avery was Marcus Davenport at 19%

Maybe our eyes aren't deceiving us. The kid has numbers to back up what we're seeing.

Gentlemen, he had my curiosity, now he has my attention.

I compared there combine numbers. 

chubb         Avery                       

40                            4.65            4.59  avery

bench                     24                26     Avery

vert                          36                36

broad                      121             124 avery

3. cone                    7.37            6.9   avery+++++

20 yd                       4.41             4.36 avery

hands                     9 7/8           10 1/8
arm                          34                 31

hght                         6'4"               6'1"

weight                     269               244

Avery is faster, stronger, more agile, his biggest disadvantage is that he has shorter arms .

Lets go!

42 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

@Fatgerman

That pass rush on the best RT in the league made me feel what Hue was feeling, it was savage. 

I want him moved to full time DE, we don't need more linebackers, we have 4 great ones and a couple of decent ones as well. 

Ogbah 1st and 2nd down Genard on 3rd down. 

Ain't gonna lie, Avery putting a hurt on Lane Johnson did give me a tingle. His height gives him an advantage against traditionally tall RT's. He gets under their pads and jack's them right back, killing with his speed to power, thus the term pad-jacker. He's from the great tradition of James Harrison, Elvis Dumervil, Brandon Graham, and Melvin Ingram, who also has shorter arms.

1 minute ago, Fatgerman said:

Ain't gonna lie, Avery putting a hurt on Lane Johnson did give me a tingle. His height gives him an advantage against traditionally tall RT's. He gets under their pads and jack's them right back, killing with his speed to power, thus the term pad-jacker. He's from the great tradition of James Harrison, Elvis Dumervil, Brandon Graham, and Melvin Ingram, who also has shorter arms.

He did knock the crud out Lane. 

I would add to the list that his body shape looks like Dwight Freeny. 

15 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Would you shift him to de @Fatgerman?

You probably want to avoid him playing a lot of DE on run downs, so the Sam is a probably a good spot. Peter Boulware played the Sam for the Ravens even though he was their best pass rusher, and for the same reason. With him at the Sam, he can bump Ogbah over and rush on any given snap, keeping offensive lines off balance.

If Chad Thomas's interior pass rush developes like I think it might, he could play inside full time. His run defense looks good enough from what I've seen so far this preseason. 

The future could be a lot of   Garrett - Ogunjobi - Thomas - Avery   on the line.

9 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He did knock the crud out Lane. 

I would add to the list that his body shape looks like Dwight Freeny. 

Keep in mind, even as the Sam, if we scheme correctly, he'll still be rushing more than anything. But, Trent Cole held up as a DE for years being undersized, same as Freeney, Mathis, and all those Indy DE's, so I could be totally wrong.

Do not move him to de, he's not heavy enough to be an every down de. Giving up 50 lbs in the run game would lead to him being worn down and possibly injured. keep him fresh, Use him the way the Bengals used Carl Lawson (around 40% of the snaps). Avery, Myles, Ogbah and ogunjobi as a NASCAR package could be brutal!!

1 hour ago, Keylargobrownie said:

Do not move him to de, he's not heavy enough to be an every down de. Giving up 50 lbs in the run game would lead to him being worn down and possibly injured. keep him fresh, Use him the way the Bengals used Carl Lawson (around 40% of the snaps). Avery, Myles, Ogbah and ogunjobi as a NASCAR package could be brutal!!

@Keylargobrownie, we're not supposed to be in here. Please respect that this is a private message between Kiwi and Fati.

I don’t like him as a DE unless it’s situational. Since he has the ability to be a full timer, I’d just keep him at OLB. He has all the attributes needed for the position in addition to size being a non-issue. He’s perfect as a stand-up end/4th linebacker on the field on our D.

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I don’t like him as a DE unless it’s situational. Since he has the ability to be a full timer, I’d just keep him at OLB. He has all the attributes needed for the position in addition to size being a non-issue. He’s perfect as a stand-up end/4th linebacker on the field on our D.

Exactly on 3rd down if we can get 3 tech next to Larry O whether that’s Chad Thomas or Ogbah we have a special pass rush package on the way 

Archived