Preseason Week 4: Los Angeles Chargers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Remember when we didn't have any legit punt returner? Now we don't have to worry anymore. Just with Pettis, Taylor and James, we're doing well. And DJ Reed returns kicks, haven't seen him at punts. It's just good to have good options.

Nick Mullens made several big time throws in this game. The kid is looking decent. He'd be a starter in the CFL! To be fair, McBLT (McLeod Bethel-Thompson) is a starter in the CFL, so it doesn't take a whole lot. 

Bolden will serve his suspension, and then he will be cut, in my opinion. He's not standing out, and other players do what he does better. I feel we kept him all this time (the offseason, I mean) simply because we knew we didn't have to make a decision right away, and he was a capable camp body. But honestly, he's so far down the depth chart that I don't see the point. 

I'm not sure what happens with Jullian Taylor. He had a great week 1 game, but since, he's been so-so. His sack last night, he was pretty much just unblocked. The guy has great potential. I guess he's a gameday inactive all year. He probably doesn't stick around for long if we put him on the PS.

I just love Ronald Blair, always did. He played great early on. I've seen many not having him make the roster, but I think it would be a mistake. Then again, we have a ton of capable DL. 

Can't wait for week 1.

7 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Nick Mullens made several big time throws in this game. The kid is looking decent. He'd be a starter in the CFL! To be fair, McBLT (McLeod Bethel-Thompson) is a starter in the CFL, so it doesn't take a whole lot. 

Bolden will serve his suspension, and then he will be cut, in my opinion. He's not standing out, and other players do what he does better. I feel we kept him all this time (the offseason, I mean) simply because we knew we didn't have to make a decision right away, and he was a capable camp body. But honestly, he's so far down the depth chart that I don't see the point. 

I'm not sure what happens with Jullian Taylor. He had a great week 1 game, but since, he's been so-so. His sack last night, he was pretty much just unblocked. The guy has great potential. I guess he's a gameday inactive all year. He probably doesn't stick around for long if we put him on the PS.

I just love Ronald Blair, always did. He played great early on. I've seen many not having him make the roster, but I think it would be a mistake. Then again, we have a ton of capable DL. 

Can't wait for week 1.

Yeah I hope Blair makes the roster. As a fellow App State Alumni like Blair, I am hoping he doesn't get cut....

7 hours ago, Geek said:

Pita had some good pressures today. He was so close to a sack several times including just missing a safety. He might not make an impact this year but a couple years down the road he could turn into a decent cheap situational pass rusher for us. 

He's been in the backfield all offseason. His problem is often that he'll overrun the play, get out of position and give up a big play because of his aggressiveness. But I much prefer a pass rusher who has to learn to respect assignments than a assignment-sound guy who has to learn to pass rush. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

Can't wait for week 1.

Julian Taylor was also in the mix on the almost safety with PitaT. His draw for me is his size, the camera went to him on the sideline last week and he's Buckners twin. I like him over Blair, but if theres a way to keep both (say we trade Armstead or he gets injured walking down the stairs) i'd be happy. 

Shanny had a radio interview yesterday where he said Dline was going to be the group with the most numbers after cuts, not really out of the norm but it might mean bubble lineman might be kept. 

For the practice squad I'm hoping it looks like: QB-Mullens, WR-Dunbar, OT Lauderdale, TE-Dwelley (i'm over Hikutini), CB-Moseley, FB-Malcom Johnson, FS-Chancellor James, OG-Najee Toran, +2 others from some other team who gets cut. 

7 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Julian Taylor was also in the mix on the almost safety with PitaT. His draw for me is his size, the camera went to him on the sideline last week and he's Buckners twin. I like him over Blair, but if theres a way to keep both (say we trade Armstead or he gets injured walking down the stairs) i'd be happy. 

Shanny had a radio interview yesterday where he said Dline was going to be the group with the most numbers after cuts, not really out of the norm but it might mean bubble lineman might be kept. 

For the practice squad I'm hoping it looks like: QB-Mullens, WR-Dunbar, OT Lauderdale, TE-Dwelley (i'm over Hikutini), CB-Moseley, FB-Malcom Johnson, FS-Chancellor James, OG-Najee Toran, +2 others from some other team who gets cut. 

If McFadden sneaks through, I'd love to keep him around for another year as well. Depends on who else gets cut as well. I think Pita might. Which means I would like to keep him around as well. 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

So basically you say cut Armstead and keep Blair and Taylor?

Chance that James makes the PS is pretty small if i had to guess since we cut him even before the last preseason game. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No way you cut Armstead, who is clearly superior to both Taylor/Blair right now. Taylor is a lock to make the team, but Blair is the big question mark here. That one can go either way. Probably means keeping one less LB. 

To me Blair really has no place on the roster. He was a pick by our former GM and really hasn't shown much.

Archived