What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If I posted my thoughts on Russia-Ukraine right now I'd get banned tbqh.

I spent a couple of weeks teaching my kids on it. Their eyes were opened. Russia has hated Ukraine for a really long time, most of it based off of political and ethnic hatred. The complete disdain and apathy towards the Ukrainian people is alarming, and the historical precedent is there, but unfortunately most of us in the western world are unintentionally ignorant of it. I'll leave it at that.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I spent a couple of weeks teaching my kids on it. Their eyes were opened. Russia has hated Ukraine for a really long time, most of it based off of political and ethnic hatred. The complete disdain and apathy towards the Ukrainian people is alarming, and the historical precedent is there, but unfortunately most of us in the western world are unintentionally ignorant of it. I'll leave it at that.

Godspeed during parent teacher conferences.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Godspeed during parent teacher conferences.

Nah, I cover it strictly from an Eastern European point of view, especially contrasting Lenin and Stalin's view(s) of Communism.

9 hours ago, MrDrew said:

Picking up family from the airport for my daughter’s graduation. As horrible as it is to have to come here, doing some people watching is actually restoring some of my faith in humanity. Seeing the look on people’s faces, and their reaction, when they see their person come out of the security area shows there’s actually still good and innocence left in the world.

Kinda sad that that’s what it took for you to see the world has some good in it lol. Are you okay

2 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Disclaimer to your disclaimer:

it’s not that hard to read, very few big words 

Disclaimer to your disclaimer about my disclaimer:

Hard to read in this particular context is about the impact on PEOPLE, not like "Hey man, this is on a college reading level. Check out the context of the jurisprudence that was established as a result of Plessy v. Ferguson".

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Disclaimer to your disclaimer about my disclaimer:

Hard to read in this particular context is about the impact on PEOPLE, not like "Hey man, this is on a college reading level. Check out the context of the jurisprudence that was established as a result of Plessy v. Ferguson".

I think this is the part where @Tyty says his life is sadder than Plessy v Ferguson.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I know very little about the disaster. They had some plant that they cheaped out on and didn't stay on top of upkeep and whatnot and then meltdown.

If you have HBO or HBO On Demand, check it out - there are some clear dramatizations, and the authenticity is in question because everyone speaks English (in an English accent, nonetheless - there's a decent reason shared by the show runner in the accompanying podcast). Outside of that, it's a pretty accurate telling of the incident... and that telling is downright horrifying.

If this is your stance:

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If I posted my thoughts on Russia-Ukraine right now I'd get banned tbqh.

You'll get a lot out of this show.

The irony in this is that the disaster happened during a Disaster Recovery/Safety test. Yes... the worst man made disaster in history happen during a system safety test.

High level, the people running reactor 4 were undergoing a safety test, and in shutting down the power, a significant amount of hydrogen built up in the tanks and ignited, blowing up the nuclear core (not melting down; literally blowing up) and spewing the equivalent of two Hiroshima bombs worth of nuclear fallout over a 50km radius. Graphite debris from the fuel rods were ejected as far as Sweden, and the nuclear core was exposed (while on fire, mind you) for about four to five days. Spectrometers were maxing out and burning out within seconds...

...and the strategy was "Cut the phone lines, no one gets in or out of the city, we can't have a panic over a bit of nuclear exposure no worse than an X-ray..."

Seriously, this should have been treated as a crime against humanity, because it was.

31 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Kinda sad that that’s what it took for you to see the world has some good in it lol. Are you okay

I know there’s good people left, and people will do good things. Watching the most angry looking people get happy, or the most pretentious people start jumping around with another person, shows that it’s still in everybody. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If you have HBO or HBO On Demand, check it out - there are some clear dramatizations, and the authenticity is in question because everyone speaks English (in an English accent, nonetheless - there's a decent reason shared by the show runner in the accompanying podcast). Outside of that, it's a pretty accurate telling of the incident... and that telling is downright horrifying.

If this is your stance:

You'll get a lot out of this show.

The irony in this is that the disaster happened during a Disaster Recovery/Safety test. Yes... the worst man made disaster in history happen during a system safety test.

High level, the people running reactor 4 were undergoing a safety test, and in shutting down the power, a significant amount of hydrogen built up in the tanks and ignited, blowing up the nuclear core (not melting down; literally blowing up) and spewing the equivalent of two Hiroshima bombs worth of nuclear fallout over a 50km radius. Graphite debris from the fuel rods were ejected as far as Sweden, and the nuclear core was exposed (while on fire, mind you) for about four to five days. Spectrometers were maxing out and burning out within seconds...

...and the strategy was "Cut the phone lines, no one gets in or out of the city, we can't have a panic over a bit of nuclear exposure no worse than an X-ray..."

Seriously, this should have been treated as a crime against humanity, because it was.

I feel like this is one of those shows that would just make me crazy with futile anger, so even though it's right up my alley, I can't watch it. Same with Black Mirror

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I feel like this is one of those shows that would just make me crazy with futile anger, so even though it's right up my alley, I can't watch it. Same with Black Mirror

Probably the same with "Blackfish" as well. You'll really love SeaWorld after watching it. 

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Pretty much every other word coming out of my mouth is "What the HELL are they thinking!? Milk!?!?" so... yeah. Anger is a fair reaction.

Black Mirror is just a mind job. I get dizzy from thinking about that show.

Just now, ET80 said:

Pretty much every other word coming out of my mouth is "What the HELL are they thinking!? Milk!?!?" so... yeah. Anger is a fair reaction.

Black Mirror is just a mind job. I get dizzy from thinking about that show.

Or that show/documentary about the guy who kidnapped his niece or something like that which broke the internet for a weekend. And like everyone knew and the cops didn't do anything, and then he escaped jail and they interview everyone and they all say "well he was charming".

I don't want to sit there on Saturday morning just yelling WHAT THE **** at my TV for 3 hours.