What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

Ive become way too much of a home body.

-The company I work for gave my division the suite for the Titans preseason game today and money for beer at the bar before......didnt go

-A friend of mine is playing before the PBR finals tonight at Bridgestone Arena.......didnt go

-Another friend is in town and I havent seen him in about three years......havent answered his text for going out.

2 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

@eagles101 hows your transition going into Martial Arts? Are you going to do Judo or something different?

I found a mma gym that focuses on bjj and muay thai that my kids can go to when there old enough. Right now im just stretching and getting my cardio back before i jump back in.  

During ufc 214 i was showing some subs and sweeps to my friends and realized half of them i wasn't flexible enough to do anymore.

but ive been researching a lot of bjj moves and doing slow runs with my wife.

I would argue it’s a parent’s responsibility to give their children the desire to not blindly believe anything, and instead give them an inquisitive mind to test things and learn about them themself. Take them on one of the free days to your local planetarium. A lot of the planetariums let you sign out high end telescopes for free. Take them out and let them see Jupiter or whatever other planet is easy to see that time of year. Let them do a tour of the planetarium where they can test pointing a laser at the moon and see how long it takes for it to bounce off the reflectors they put up there during the moon landing and for it to come back. Sit down and watch Cosmos (both the Sagan and NDT ones) with them.

Let them not blindly follow science or Kyrie or anyone. Let them do real research to prove what actually is right. And they’ll eventually come to understand that scientific consensuses can be trusted over athletes, but to still have an interest in understanding the principles themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I would argue it’s a parent’s responsibility to give their children the desire to not blindly believe anything, and instead give them an inquisitive mind to test things and learn about them themself. Take them on one of the free days to your local planetarium. A lot of the planetariums let you sign out high end telescopes for free. Take them out and let them see Jupiter or whatever other planet is easy to see that time of year. Let them do a tour of the planetarium where they can test pointing a laser at the moon and see how long it takes for it to bounce off the reflectors they put up there during the moon landing and for it to come back.

Let them not blindly follow science or Kyrie or anyone. Let them do real research to prove what actually is right. And they’ll eventually come to understand that scientific consensuses can be trusted over athletes, but to still have an interest in understanding the principles themselves.

In theory, this sounds great, but in practice, it just doesn't guarantee anything. For example, what happens if the kid just isn't interested at all in science?

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

In theory, this sounds great, but in practice, it just doesn't guarantee anything. For example, what happens if the kid just isn't interested at all in science?

Then he’s not going to care enough that Kyrie’s opinion is going to matter at all.

They can also still understand things even if they aren’t interested. You’re teaching the principles of not blindly following and instead actually understsnding. It doesn’t solely apply to science. 

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Unless he loves basketball and Kyrie. 

If someone doesn’t care enough about science that they are going to completely fail to learn anything when you take them to learn, Kyrie’s opinion on science isn’t going to mean anything to them either.

You're also teaching them concepts that apply beyond just science. A kid who you teach how to be inquisitive and to test and learn, even if it isn’t in science, isn’t going to not apply that same type of thinking to other things.

Just now, iPwn said:

If someone doesn’t care enough about science that they are going to completely fail to learn anything when you take them to learn, Kyrie’s opinion on science isn’t going to mean anything to them either.

You're also teaching them concepts that apply beyond just science. A kid who you teach how to be inquisitive and to test and learn, even if it isn’t in science, isn’t going to not apply that same knowledge to other things.

I feel the opposite. They're going to be more susceptible to repeating and believing something from Kyrie because they aren't going to care enough to challenge it.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I feel the opposite. They're going to be more susceptible to repeating and believing something from Kyrie because they aren't going to care enough to challenge it.

When have you ever met someone who is really thorough with their thought processes in one study that blindly follows others without evidence in areas they don’t care about?

When you teach kids that the evidence needed to believe something needs meet a certain threshold, whether that’s space, other sciences, sports, or whatever they’re interested in, that concept doesn’t just stick with them in that one field. It carries over. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

When have you ever met someone who is really thorough with their thought processes in one study that blindly follows others without evidence in areas they don’t care about?

When you teach kids that the evidence needed to believe something needs meet a certain threshold, whether that’s space, other sciences, sports, or whatever they’re interested in, that concept doesn’t just stick with them in that one field. It carries over. 

People often find a way to twist things in their minds to make it seem like their beliefs are correct.

I've met some very smart and educated people who believed some very crazy things.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

People often find a way to twist things in their minds to make it seem like their beliefs are correct.

I've met some very smart and educated people who believed some very crazy things.

You’re conflating smart with inquisitive. They’re not the same. At all. Many of the people who become really smart in a field did so just by blindly trusting what they were given to learn. Having the brain capacity to easily understand concepts is not the same as having the frame of mind that requires evidence be given before you trust a hypothesis.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, iPwn said:

You’re conflating smart with inquisitive. They’re not the same. At all. Many of the people who become really smart in a field did so just by blindly trusting what they were given to learn. Having the brain capacity to easily understand concepts is not the same as having the frame of mind that requires evidence be given before you trust a hypothesis.

Maybe so.

14 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

@EliteTexan80 been checking out G35's and G37's and dude you can find a clean nice one for a great price today. Would you ever own one again or a Infinity again? 

I loved my G ride, really want to get another one (think they rebranded them to a Q50 or something like that - absolutely want one).

Another car I've been looking at is a 1972 Chevy Nova. Saw one on the road the other day, it was clean...

8bbb7aac140acbf1056241272269d2ce--chevy-

You can get something like this for $28k, that's a steal...