What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

What exactly is the downside to being close?

That you're that close...I mean, you walk out of your apartment on your day off and you're almost immediately exposed to work or at least those who work there.  If you call in sick for whatever reason, you kinda have to be legitimately sick.  I'd imagine you'll cross paths with people you work.

57 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That you're that close...I mean, you walk out of your apartment on your day off and you're almost immediately exposed to work or at least those who work there.  If you call in sick for whatever reason, you kinda have to be legitimately sick.  I'd imagine you'll cross paths with people you work.

Guess that would suck. Luckily, we have a no questions asked day off policy. All we have to do is call in, say we need the day off and no one cares. Your day off is your day off, and you can do whatever you want during it. No one cares, and no one bothers you. If your day off is going to the bar across the street from work, nobody would care. Everyone in the office understands that people need days off and time to recharge, especially with how stressful things can get at times in our field. As long as you’re clearly not maliciously taking time off to screw other employees into doing your work or taking time off on March/April 14th or 15th, nobody cares. 

10 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

In the last 3 days I went to Cannon Beach, wandered downtown Portland, climbed Multnomah falls, climbed Mt. Hood, boated through the Colombia gorge,  fished the Sandy River, hiked the Warm Springs valley and saw the total eclipse.

All were fantastic, but still completely incomparable to the eclipse. 

I've done all these as well. I've lived in the area 26 years. 

I agree. Even the 99% was something I'll remember my whole life.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

Guess that would suck. Luckily, we have a no questions asked day off policy. All we have to do is call in, say we need the day off and no one cares. Your day off is your day off, and you can do whatever you want during it. No one cares, and no one bothers you. If your day off is going to the bar across the street from work, nobody would care. Everyone in the office understands that people need days off and time to recharge, especially with how stressful things can get at times in our field. As long as you’re clearly not maliciously taking time off to screw other employees into doing your work or taking time off on March/April 14th or 15th, nobody cares. 

I love my hour commute(no traffic, scenic road), but if I ever got a job that allowed me the sell my car but not rely on public transportation for work (daily I mean, I don't mind it occasionally) I'd ditch my commute and car in a heartbeat.

It sorta depends on your car and the trade off.

If driving a luxury car for far greater money, i would take on a much bigger commute. Like if my job could afford me a new Lexus and it was a hour and change away, i would be like " ugh yeah sign me up right meow."

But there is a beauty in simplicity , sometimes i think how nice it would be to do with out the car payments/gas/stress a car can bring and just get a Vespa/scooter and pay $10-20 insurance and work relatively close to home.  Drive like 2-4 miles down back streets on a Vespa every morning /evening to work would be rad. You would spend maybe $30-40 on gas a month(thats counting some fun trips). 

2 hours ago, iPwn said:

getting to take lunch out of a piping hot crock pot, and being able to take naps on lunch breaks.

Most underrated part right here.  Before I worked from home and lived in Connecticut my commute was just a shade under 10 minutes.  It was so nice being able to go home and eat lunch there while watching a Netflix episode.

I know it might be antisocial but I can't stand eating lunch with coworkers.  They bother me enough during the day about work crap, the last thing I want is to see them for an hour at lunch.  I need some alone time at lunch to break up the day. 

21 minutes ago, Bednarik60 said:

But there is a beauty in simplicity , sometimes i think how nice it would be to do with out the car payments/gas/stress a car can bring and just get a Vespa/scooter and pay $10-20 insurance and work relatively close to home.  Drive like 2-4 miles down back streets on a Vespa every morning /evening to work would be rad. You would spend maybe $30-40 on gas a month(thats counting some fun trips). 

This is kinda what I’m hoping to do.

Chicago is also really well connected with public transit, so most trips are a bus and/or train ride away.

I’ve just never liked driving. It was just a necessity that I put up with before moving here. Other idiot drivers, traffic jams, commutes, and so on just never were my thing. I’d much rather be a passenger if I go anywhere, or take a bike on short trips. I’ll cut my travel costs to probably about $50 a month, including minor bike repairs.

44 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

I know it might be antisocial but I can't stand eating lunch with coworkers.  They bother me enough during the day about work crap, the last thing I want is to see them for an hour at lunch.  I need some alone time at lunch to break up the day. 

I go park in the shade and eat lunch in my car. Sometimes a 20min powernap if it's quiet in the parking lot.

1 hour ago, Bednarik60 said:

You guys aren't holding your hits in long enough... 20 seconds bro...  Trust me a lot of things will be cooler then the Eclipse once you do. 

Don't post like this.  We don't discuss drug use or other illegal activities.  

1 minute ago, Webmaster said:

Don't post like this.  We don't discuss drug use or other illegal activities.  

I am not talking about anything illegal. 

And you have a thread on Alcohol, which last i checked is a drug. Not to mention a thread on vaping which is Tobacco, which again is a drug. Also two of the biggest killers and causes of cancer in America.