What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

My wife and I are considering opening up a Roth IRA here soon. Any advice?

We are both teachers and have our own retirement, but figured instead of just putting money into a traditional savings account, maybe we should have a backup retirement/next egg for when we retire in the next 29-34 years.

We would essentially still have our own retirement/state teacher's retirement plan but would also have this. 

Worth it? Good move? No?

53 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

So annoying. Can't even watch SNF on November 5th without being inundated with dumb cheesy commercials. Xmas is so garbage.

I love Christmas but hate the commercialization of it.

I was at Kroger yesterday and they were removing the Halloween candy and immediately replacing it with Christmas crap. Like we can't even wait for the day after Thanksgiving to jam Chistmas stuff down our throats.

Fruitcakes at the bakery and everything.....

46 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My wife and I are considering opening up a Roth IRA here soon. Any advice?

We are both teachers and have our own retirement, but figured instead of just putting money into a traditional savings account, maybe we should have a backup retirement/next egg for when we retire in the next 29-34 years.

We would essentially still have our own retirement/state teacher's retirement plan but would also have this. 

Worth it? Good move? No?

Those state plans worry me.  Probably because i don't know enough about them, but i swear i've heard of funds going bankrupt in the past.  Someone can probably educate me here, but in that scenario are the teachers just SOL?

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I love Christmas but hate the commercialization of it.

The menards in my area put up their christmas stuff at least by 10/1.  Maybe even sooner.  Not sure exactly because i hadn't gone in a while before that.

Pretty sickening.

Just now, theJ said:

Those state plans worry me.  Probably because i don't know enough about them, but i swear i've heard of funds going bankrupt in the past.  Someone can probably educate me here, but in that scenario are the teachers just SOL?

That's why I'm considering a second option. To be honest, if STRS were to go down, social security would also be going down.

The reason that retirement age for teachers keeps getting pushed back is due to not getting anticipated returns/etc. in the past.

9 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Not much to a Roth IRA. Go to Vanguard and open an account. Pick your retirement age, which will suggest the fund for you. You can add a maximum of $5500 per year, which you should max out given you have adequate savings.

Thanks. Any real advice here?

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Thanks. Any real advice here?

Not really. It really is a simple as @Mossburg explained. If you have the funds, max it out as early as you can each year. Rinse and repeat. And if you make above a certain amount, I forget the exact amount off the top of my head, there is still a trick to get the funds into the Roth IRA (https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/backdoor-roth-ira-high-income-how-to-guide/).

16 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Why do people do "xmas shopping"? If you have kids, ok. If you feel obligated to buy other adults crap, there's something very wrong, unless you genuinely enjoy doing that.

I like to surprise my wife with things.  Like i keep a list of stuff i think of throughout the year, or stuff she mentions in passing.  Basically to get cookie points in the husband department.

Also, for the kids.