Rams extend Aaron Donald 6 years 135 mil 87 mil grt

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, DingoLadd said:

He's not, Edge rushers>Interior defenders. 

Glad Donald got paid, dude is a beast of a player but every defender that gets QB money is getting too much. 

That's just not true.  Interior pressure is much more disruptive to an offense and the QB than edge pressure.  It's also harder to run plays away from an interior defender.  

Bengals fans can attest - you take Carl Lawson or Carlos Dunlap away from the team and it hurts.  You take Geno Atkins and you have to reformat the whole defense.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

That's just not true.  Interior pressure is much more disruptive to an offense and the QB than edge pressure.  It's also harder to run plays away from an interior defender.  

Bengals fans can attest - you take Carl Lawson or Carlos Dunlap away from the team and it hurts.  You take Geno Atkins and you have to reformat the whole defense.

Edit: tried and failed post a pic showing that on edge rushers get to the quarterback faster and give up less expected pts than interior rushers.

Atkins is clearly more important to the Bengals than Dunlap.To prove your point, you would need to compare an edge rusher and interior guy of equal skill.

I fully expected Donald to become a 21 million per defender. What's an extra million a year at that point. :|

The only thing that scares me is the amount guaranteed. That is a ton of guaranteed money for a guy who has 300 pound men falling around his knees on every play. And I have absolutely no doubt that the guaranteed amount was the sticking point in the negotiations. But Donald kinda had all the chips at the table. 

Hope this works out. I am thrilled. But I might also be a little nauseous during every defensive snap.

What a freakin off season for my team. I mean, damn... that's one for the books. Let's hope what we have on paper carries over onto the field. LETS GO RAMS!!!

1 hour ago, KellChippy said:

Edit: tried and failed post a pic showing that on edge rushers get to the quarterback faster and give up less expected pts than interior rushers.

Atkins is clearly more important to the Bengals than Dunlap.To prove your point, you would need to compare an edge rusher and interior guy of equal skill.

But it isn't just about getting to the QB. It's also about disrupting the play, throwing off timing, and forcing QBs into mistakes. It's like any other position. You have your marquee stats. But the position is always about more than that. Like a QB is about more than passing yards and TDs. A cornerback is about more than interceptions. You know?

22 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

But it isn't just about getting to the QB. It's also about disrupting the play, throwing off timing, and forcing QBs into mistakes. It's like any other position. You have your marquee stats. But the position is always about more than that. Like a QB is about more than passing yards and TDs. A cornerback is about more than interceptions. You know?

Agreed.

I wouldn't disagree at all that edge rushers can get there faster.  I don't know how you can possibly calculate an expected pts per position honestly, so i can't comment there.

Where a great rushing DT helps is pushing the pocket and disrupting the QB's timing, getting his passing lanes, and also blowing up running lanes.  A lot of the time this type of pressure will lead to sacks from the edge.  If the QB can't step up because the DT is penetrating, then the edge rusher has a better angle and better chance to disrupt the play. 

These are things edge rushers typically can't do.

It's a fascinating conversation.  Because there's some hidden X/O's here that go beyond the traditional stats of sacks and pressures.

@KellChippy

Archived