Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

Just now, packfanfb said:

Not to rehatch this argument as we've done 100 times now, but this was the easy decision IMO. For the last few years, the FA market has been flooded with CB talent with almost no EDGE talent those same years. GB should have landed Watt (and Lawson while they were at it) and looked to FA for a CB instead of King. You still could have gone CB in rounds 2, 3 or 4 last year. Sometimes you cannot be so narrow-focused to only look at the draft prospects, but also must ask "what other avenues are available to address this position and what is available?" The answer was address CB in FA and go high at EDGE in the draft. 

Every year for an eternity it feels like I'm convinced we'll take a pass rusher first round too. Then we never do. 

Guys, this has been planned for a long time.  We're getting Nick Bosa. 

We were only in the market for Mack to increase his trade value so the Bears would overpay for him. 
We knew we'd be able to manage with Matthews/Perry for two more years.
We got a first round pick from the Saints because we knew we wouldn't be able to move up high enough without two firsts in 2019 and a second in 2020.

It's been our plan for three years now. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

We were only in the market for Mack to increase his trade value so the Bears would overpay for him. 
We got a first round pick from the Saints because we knew we wouldn't be able to move up high enough without two firsts in 2019 and a second in 2020.

I hope you're right lol

Just now, Norm said:

Every year for an eternity it feels like I'm convinced we'll take a pass rusher first round too. Then we never do. 

What I find funny, and I'm too lazy to look it up, is that I am pretty sure 99.9% of this forum was dead set that the Packers had to take an EDGE guy in rounds 1 or 2 of the latest draft. I distinctly remember some people posting mocks with no EDGE guy in the first few rounds and the responses were "What? No EDGE!?" Everyone was certain, given our EDGE depth that we HAD to go EDGE pretty high. Then we didn't and sitting here today, a lot of people are all "well Pettine doesn't need EDGE rushers" or "Fackrell is as good as any other team's No. 4" or whatever other excuse they want to come up with. It's just funny how perceptions and opinions change. 

Now, I'll be the first to admit, some of this has been swayed by the the fact (hope) that Gilbert has emerged as a potential No. 3, which we didn't really know/expect as of draft day. Still, it's funny nevertheless. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not to rehatch this argument as we've done 100 times now, but this was the easy decision IMO. For the last few years, the FA market has been flooded with CB talent with almost no EDGE talent those same years. GB should have landed Watt (and Lawson while they were at it) and looked to FA for a CB instead of King. You still could have gone CB in rounds 2, 3 or 4 last year. Sometimes you cannot be so narrow-focused to only look at the draft prospects, but also must ask "what other avenues are available to address this position and what is available?" The answer was address CB in FA and go high at EDGE in the draft. 

I'd venture a guess to say you were adamantly opposed to Watt, but I'd have to venture through the hundred of pages to confirm that so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  The large majority of this forum didn't want TJ Watt, probably one of the few Badgers players you guys didn't want.  Most of it was based off the half-thought concept that he couldn't be as good as his brother.  But there was a very large faction that wanted nothing to do with Watt.  As for the FA CB class being flooded, in comparison to pass rushers yeah.  But we're also talking about corners who are on their last legs and wanted big money deals.  I mean, go look at corners who are getting big contracts in their late 20s, early 30s.  The results aren't that great.  If you want your corners, you have to get them through the draft.  Because you're going to overpay for them.  Trumaine Johnson just got a 5 year, $72.5M deal which the Jets probably won't want in a few years.  Malcolm Butler got almost $12.3M for his play two years before.  Hell, Richard Sherman coming off a torn Achilles just got over $9M/year.  You're overpaying your corners in FA.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Our two No. 1s are not good enough to get the No. 1 pick. I doubt we could get into the top 5 with where our two 1sts will likely end up. Now, if you want to give up more than our two No. 1 picks, maybe it's possible, but is the cost worth it at that point for an unproven player? 

Just now, packfanfb said:

What I find funny, and I'm too lazy to look it up, is that I am pretty sure 99.9% of this forum was dead set that the Packers had to take an EDGE guy in rounds 1 or 2 of the latest draft. I distinctly remember some people posting mocks with no EDGE guy in the first few rounds and the responses were "What? No EDGE!?" Everyone was certain, given our EDGE depth that we HAD to go EDGE pretty high. Then we didn't and sitting here today, a lot of people are all "well Pettine doesn't need EDGE rushers" or "Fackrell is as good as any other team's No. 4" or whatever other excuse they want to come up with. It's just funny how perceptions and opinions change. 

Now, I'll be the first to admit, some of this has been swayed by the the fact (hope) that Gilbert has emerged as a potential No. 3, which we didn't really know/expect as of draft day. Still, it's funny nevertheless. 

Yeah I got that feeling too. I think there was a perception we'd find someone to pick up at some point we was cut for money too though maybe? 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Why the hell are we passing on Khalil Mack and giving up all those picks for a total unknown?

Hard pass. I'll take those 3 swings. I need an OT, WR and an EDGE more than one EDGE.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd venture a guess to say you were adamantly opposed to Watt, but I'd have to venture through the hundred of pages to confirm that so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  The large majority of this forum didn't want TJ Watt, probably one of the few Badgers players you guys didn't want.  Most of it was based off the half-thought concept that he couldn't be as good as his brother.  But there was a very large faction that wanted nothing to do with Watt.  As for the FA CB class being flooded, in comparison to pass rushers yeah.  But we're also talking about corners who are on their last legs and wanted big money deals.  I mean, go look at corners who are getting big contracts in their late 20s, early 30s.  The results aren't that great.  If you want your corners, you have to get them through the draft.  Because you're going to overpay for them.  Trumaine Johnson just got a 5 year, $72.5M deal which the Jets probably won't want in a few years.  Malcolm Butler got almost $12.3M for his play two years before.  Hell, Richard Sherman coming off a torn Achilles just got over $9M/year.  You're overpaying your corners in FA.

Nah I wanted Watt. Figured he was the surest bet available. In fact, I remember you and I agreeing, after Watt's combine numbers came down, that Watt probably wouldn't even be there when we picked at our original spot. 

Yes, you're probably overpaying on some of those CBs. That's the NFL. Sometimes you have to overpay to solve a problem at a position. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

No.  We all think we need to improve our EDGE position.  We're just not willing to risk one position for another.  LIS, which corner are you willing to give up this year?  You trading Kevin King for TJ Watt?  Or are you trading Jaire Alexander and the NO '19 1st for Marcus Davenport?  The Watt one I can understand if you truly were a fan of his coming out, but LIS there was a large majority that wanted nothing to do with him.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm pretty sure he actually wanted him all along and said it draft day when we passed. I swear I remember him barking it that tree right away

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The funny thing is we're going to hear leading up to the draft is that there is no way he can be as good as his brother, and he's not that good of a prospect.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Once we traded Randall it immediately shifted for me to CB. EDGE class sucked this year I thought. Once Landry and Davenport went the 2nd round group stunk.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Why the hell are we passing on Khalil Mack and giving up all those picks for a total unknown?

Hard pass. I'll take those 3 swings. I need an OT, WR and an EDGE more than one EDGE.

I'd prefer the picks but I don't have much fear outside of injury that bosa won't work out and he'll be cheaper by a bunch right...

I don't think at all that's what we'll do though

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Once we traded Randall it immediately shifted for me to CB. EDGE class sucked this year I thought. Once Landry and Davenport went the 2nd round group stunk.

Harold Landry was my guy, and I was really bummed the Packers didn't get him in the 2nd round.  Damn Titans!  I'm really curious to follow his career.

Archived