Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

I like the Packers roster, for the moment.  Think we're in an encouragingly good spot, relative to perception 6 weeks ago:

1. We got through camp with remarkably little injury damage:  Jake Ryan, Rollins, Murphy, Fackrell, and Mays?  Sometimes you can start right out with major losses.  
  2. And to my knowledge nobody Burks is the only guy starting out significantly injured.  OK, King is another, that's more serious....
  3. The Bulaga comeback is huge, and unexpected.  (All off-season, I didn't see anybody confidently assuming he'd be all ready to roll week 1)
  4. The top draft picks, Jaire, JJ, and Burks, all looked very legit.  That's not routine, at all.  Josh Jackson has really looked surprisingly excellent.
  5. Moore was a dropped-ball disappointment.  But JVS and EQ both looked excellent.  We were all reminded many times how rarely late-round receivers look talented or much worth keeping, and coming in most of us expected one or two to look lousy.  Yet all three look fully qualified to be functional NFL receivers (**IF** Moore can catch).
  6. I'm optimistic.  

Think we'll pretty much win or lose with the guys we've got on the 53+10.  I think it's entirely feasible that with excellent cornerback play, that a lot will look better with the OLB.  But the OLB's are pretty much going to be what they're going to be; hopefully we'll be pretty happy with how they produce.  

Think Gilbert is huge on that.  He's going to get a LOT of snaps.  

12 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Just found that out about them carrying 4 OLBs.  Oh Well guess we'll have to address it in FA and the draft next offseason.

Wouldn't be surprised if we still add something there honestly

I still think the Packers media and fan base are overthinking the edge rusher issue.  New England shows that a team doesn't need the elite edge rushers in order to field a defense that supports a deep playoff run.  Last year their top rusher had 6 sacks.  They ended up with 42 by getting production from a large number of players.

I think Pettine gets this.

His statements about the importance of interior rush and deception reflect a similar approach.

I think our pressure will be better due to improvements in pass coverage, as well as more varied fronts that will be less predictable.  

7 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I still think the Packers media and fan base are overthinking the edge rusher issue.  New England shows that a team doesn't need the elite edge rushers in order to field a defense that supports a deep playoff run.  Last year their top rusher had 6 sacks.  They ended up with 42 by getting production from a large number of players.

His statements about the importance of interior rush and deception reflect a similar approach.

I think our pressure will be better due to improvements in pass coverage, as well as more varied fronts that will be less predictable.  

The bigger question is how in the heck a team ranked 30th in total defense make it to the SB being the #1 seed.

7 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Unless they trade for someone the only fa options worth mentioning at olb are:

• junior galette

• Courtney upshaw

• Lamar Houston 

• Willie Young

• Tamba Hali 

John Simon is more useful than any of those and I'm not exactly a fan of his. I think Hali will almost certainly go unsigned and retire. 

Forgot Houston was around. Injuries stacked up there? Just no very good options is there.

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

The bigger question is how in the heck a team ranked 30th in total defense make it to the SB being the #1 seed.

Does total defense mean yards? They sucked measuring by DVOA too I suppose. But the AFC was weak and their defense was awful to start but improved as the year went on.

I mean, considering Pettine ran some great Jets defenses with some thoroughly average edge talent, I'm not about to freak out because our backups aren't amazing.

Like, seriously, give me Matthews and Perry over Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace, and give me Gilbert and Fackrell over Jamaal Westerman and  Vernon Gholston.

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, considering Pettine ran some great Jets defense with some thoroughly average edge talent, I'm not about to freak out because our backups aren't amazing.

Like, seriously, give me Matthews and Perry over Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace, and give me Gilbert and Fackrell over Jamaal Westerman and  Vernon Gholston.

I always remember the Jets having a nasty interior pass rush.

2 hours ago, Norm said:

It's not this complicated. 

Ted only brought us one SB with the GOAT QB, everything else since just seems like finding why that happened and looking for everything he did wrong that led to it. 

You're right. I guess it's just easier to yell at each other.

38 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

They also play in the AFC, get a free ride to a division title every year and a free ride to either the No. 1 or No. 2 seed almost every year. Our situation is much different. 

41 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, considering Pettine ran some great Jets defenses with some thoroughly average edge talent, I'm not about to freak out because our backups aren't amazing.

I'm not concerned with the talent of our OLB group.  Matthews and Perry just can't be counted on to play 16+ games.  

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I just keep asking myself do teams around the league even have more than 3 capable rushers? I dont know about that.

Archived