Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

6 minutes ago, Cheech said:

2015 was terrible.  ****.  Cleveland literally has drafted 1/4 of the league's #2 QB's.  Just because those QB's are still in the NFL doesn't mean Cleveland is good at drafting players and they just happened to not work out.  Balls.  No fricken team goes into a draft hoping to still have 1 player on their squad in 3 years.  

That doesn't mean that Ted was ever terrible at drafting.  2013 was fantastic.  But, generally, Outpost, the team is hurting right now at starting positions because the results of the last 4 drafts have not replaced starters at the rate that we needed them to.  Even over those four years, Ted was probably league average.  But to act like the guy is flawless at drafting is absolutely silly. 

No one.  

The idea that Ted didn't use UFA enough should have died 4 years ago.  (You have to have a touch of empathy for people who watched MD Jennings and McMillan try to play safety.  That. Was. Painful.  It caused irreversible trauma.)  

The same idea that he was God's gift in acquiring talent via the draft should have also died 4 years ago.  

Totally agree with your reply to me. I don't think he was a huge net negative or positive. He could have done more but he also wasn't loading the roster with way more UDFAs than most teams at the "backend" of the roster. If anything I was mad when he tried to start guys like Jennings. Not when a guy like Gunter is a deep reserve.

The Ted theories are all over though, we took too many athletes ( MD, McMillian, Josh J,) who couldn't play. Or we took too many pure football players that didn't push enough on the athletic parts. We had too many UDFAs on the backend, we had too many we tried to start. Etc etc. Seems like anything something played out poorly, it was always this huge trend he had. The answer on Ted was always in the middle but people were pulled to the extremes.

5 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Again guy's I don't have a problem with UDFA. I had a problem with the overreliance of it during the TT era especially at the DB positions.

I guess my issue is that Gunter started when down in the depth chart. Is having a UDFA at CB5 week one over-reliance? I don't have the memory to recall how all the injuries stacked up and how quickly he moved up and what options would have existed for your example going through that year, I have to imagine none were great. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Was my boy herb cut for the rb?

If you want to do it in order, then yes. But generally I consider the two moves together... and think the defensive guy took out the defensive guy, same with offense.

• IN
  • ILB Toomer
  • RB Jackson

• Out
  • WR Kumerow (to IR)
  • CB Waters

Though it's kinda of strange that we now have 5 ILBers... numbers wise it honestly seems like we're more set-up like a 4-3.

Normal for a 4-3 is

4 Interior DL (we have 5 DTs)

4 Edge Rushers (we have 4 OLB which are the edge guys)

6 traditional LBers (we have 5 ILBers now)

Where 3-4 defenses normally have less ILBers (say 3/4) and more edge defenders (say 6 (or 5 with DL having an extra)).

20 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Again guy's I don't have a problem with UDFA. I had a problem with the overreliance of it during the TT era especially at the DB positions.

I mean, what's the alternative you are proposing?

- Draft more CBs?

-Overpay for the good CBs who hit free agency?

-Sign journeyman FA CBs and hope?

Seems like this is less a "philosophy" issue and more a "make decisions based on current circumstances" issue.

19 minutes ago, Norm said:

I guess my issue is that Gunter started when down in the depth chart. Is having a UDFA at CB5 week one over-reliance? I don't have the memory to recall how all the injuries stacked up and how quickly he moved up and what options would have existed for your example going through that year, I have to imagine none were great. 

I know injuries are a part of the game but Ted doesn't get a pass. In 2016 we had Sammy and Randall starting. The depth was Rollins in the slot. Hyde, Gunter, Hawkins. That's horrible depth. When Shields went down game one Ted had plenty of time to bring someone in,  he could've made a trade or given up a draft pick anything to boaster that position. Instead he rode it out with Gunter and it bit us in the NFC championship.

19 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I know injuries are a part of the game but Ted doesn't get a pass. In 2016 we had Sammy and Randall starting. The depth was Rollins in the slot. Hyde, Gunter, Hawkins. That's horrible depth. When Shields went down game one Ted had plenty of time to bring someone in,  he could've made a trade or given up a draft pick anything to boaster that position. Instead he rode it out with Gunter and it bit us in the NFC championship.

It's not horrible depth though. That is TYPICAL NFL cornerback depth. It might be a tick under average and obviously you can do better, but it's not "horrible." It's only horrible in comparison of what fans think typical roster depth is, not the reality of what roster depth in the NFL is. They are not the same.

I do agree they needed to do something after Sam, I figured we would honestly.

15 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

"Draft Better" is a goal, not a solution.  Plus, when you have like 5 CBs go down with injury for any team odds are pretty good that the #6 guy was not a high draft pick.

We lost Sammy, and Rollins for a few games. What 5 CB's went down that year? Drafting is the goal and solution. We've been drafting DB's at the top for the last 4 years. You shouldn't have to depend on a UDFA in the NFC championship game when you had a full season to bring in better depth.

Archived