Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

3 minutes ago, craig said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/darius-jackson?id=2556273

Predraft writeup on the new running back.  Basically writeup is superb pro-day measurables, ST prospect, and productive as a pass receiver.  But bad tape as RB.   (Lacks decision, bad vision, doesn't run hard, indecisive, etc..)

I'm very surprised, thought that spot was going to Ripkowski.  Wouldn't think a new guy would be an ideal emergency blitz-picker-upper, as good as Rip.  

Who knows, maybe they're still going to waive Light or Crawford and sign Ripkowski, too?   

Picked up 1 yard total in five exhibition carries, so wouldn't think that's what got him the job.  May have speed to get around the corner, though, which is NOT something that Ty, Williams, Jones, or Rip have.  

It would be kinda fun to have a good receiver and a speed-guy who could turn the corner once in a while as a back, or on a screen or checkdown?  

Most likely a 2-week tryout till Jones is back, and he'll never get a snap with the Packers?  

I'm actually a little jealous yall picked up Jackson from us. Dude had starter type measurables and you can see it when he plays. His problems that kept him back is that he is not a very natural runner nor is his vision great. But he is a one cut slasher who can take it to the house on certain plays. I kinda hope he finds his rhythm with you guys. Just not at our expense.......again.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Two questions.  First, a precursor:

We had Sam Shields, Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde on the team when we drafted Randall. 
We had Daniels, Jones and Raji on the DL.

The next 12 players selected in that draft were:
Stephone Anthony, Malcolm Brown, Landon Collins, Donovan Smith, Mario Edwards, TJ Yeldon, Devin Smith, Preston Smith, Eddie Goldman, Dorial Green-Beckham, Devin Funchess, Jalen Collins

1. What if we just drafted best player available? 
2. Who should we have drafted instead of Randall? 

1. The best player available at the time was either Stephone Anthony or Eddie Goldman. If I had to select now, I would go with Jalen Collins or Donovan Smith. 

Therefore,

2. We should've went with Jalen Collins.

Look, I liked the Randall pick and when he was healthy, he really wasn't that bad in coverage; but he also had some maturity issues once he got banged up. He SHOULD have been moved back to Safety at some point or at least dropped into a STAR role of some sort. Either way, I don't see a bright future for him simply because he's in Cleveland.

Just now, Joe said:

1. The best player available at the time was either Stephone Anthony or Eddie Goldman. If I had to select now, I would go with Jalen Collins or Donovan Smith. 

Therefore,

2. We should've went with Jalen Collins.

Jalen Collins out of the NFL Jalen Collins?

Just now, Outpost31 said:

We had Sam Shields, Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde on the team when we drafted Randall. 

Stephone Anthony, Malcolm Brown, Landon Collins, Donovan Smith, Mario Edwards, TJ Yeldon, Devin Smith, Preston Smith, Eddie Goldman, Dorial Green-Beckham, Devin Funchess, Jalen Collins

@Leader

7 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Darius Jackson is a head scratcher for me.   He hasn't been good enough to get into more than 5 pre-season games since 2016. 

Good height-weight-speed, but hasn't shown he can play football.   By signing him off a practice squad, he ahs to be on the roster for 3 weeks.

???  I don't get it.

Wow, thought he was a second year guy, didn't realize he's a 3rd-year guy and still not appreciated enough by Dallas to have kept him.  That's less encouraging.  

Also didn't realize there was a 3-week requirement for a PS steal.  That changes a lot; I'd assumed he was just a Jones filler-in.  But if they're committed for three weeks, that's a different story.  Hmmm....

Maybe that means they like him more?  Think he was injured last year, right?

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Landon Collins and it’s not even close.

Burnett was clearly not going to get a 3rd contract here... and he was already moving into a hybrid position. Collins would of been our Brice.

Dix, Collins and Burnett as the 3 safeties. Seeing as we liked to run 3 safeties.

Just now, pacman5252 said:

Kind of surprised we cut waters. 5 corners is a little light. I wish they would have just cut Boyle

They have Brown in the ps. Waters wasn’t going to be active game day anyways. So might as well keep your 6th CB on the practice squad.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Landon Collins and it’s not even close.

Burnett was clearly not going to get a 3rd contract here... and he was already moving into a hybrid position. Collins would of been our Brice.

Dix, Collins and Burnett as the 3 safeties. Seeing as we liked to run 3 safeties.

Sure, but I'm asking @Leader and he said we had no need at safety.  Since we had no need at safety, and since Hayward was in a contract year, one could conclude that we went Randall as BPA because he had that potential versatility.

Collins didn't have that versatility, Randall did.  

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Sure, but I'm asking @Leader and he said we had no need at safety.  Since we had no need at safety, and since Hayward was in a contract year, one could conclude that we went Randall as BPA because he had that potential versatility.

Collins didn't have that versatility, Randall did.  

BPA is debatable. Collins was viewed poorly because he was seen as just an in the box safety.

Randall was seen as the future at the safety position in the nfl. Safeties that are like CBs. My point is Collins floor was far greater then Randall. Randall’s ceiling might of been higher.

Collins came from Alabama where nick saban puts those dudes through a lot. Alabama DBs are going to be technically sound if anything. If you truly believe in BPA you take the best. Collins at the time for me was the best... and if youre taking a safety, you take Collins over Randall. I only understood Randall when it was said they are moving him to corner.

But based on your list the answer is Collins... only in hindsight would I say Malcolm Butler, if you go on need of CB.

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Jalen Collins out of the NFL Jalen Collins?

Thinking of a different player, my bad. I would've went with Goldman or Donovan Smith. I was very keen on Donovan Smith before the draft and he went much earlier than I expected.

Just now, Green19 said:

But based on your list the answer is Collins... only in hindsight would I say Malcolm Butler, if you go on need of CB.

I would've went with Goldman or Donovan Smith.

Granted, but Collins ain't great, we had Bakhtiari and Bulaga (ruling out Smith), so once you get to Butler, how much hindsight are we allowed?  That's the point I'm trying to make.  With what Thompson knew then, Randall was a good pick. 

Archived