Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

As coach Mike McCarthy said today: 'It took a little longer than normal," but the Packers have their 53-man Week 1 roster set: They just announced the signing of RB Darius Jackson. That's after they signed LB Korey Toomer earlier on Monday. They took the spots of WR Jake Kumerow (who went on IR) and CB Herb Waters (who was released).

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer34m ago

So no addition at OLB for this week it looks like.

Maybe after week 1 and the vested veteran contracts go away.

10 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Really?  Besides Hyde whom else out of those player's are still in the league?

Read my edit too but this is just illustrating my point, our 3rd CB was an NFL Pro Bowler last year. Rolling stinks now but he battled injuries, but technically in the NFL, Hawkins will make a team if he hasn't. Gunter is gone and Goodson might be too. But CB4 isn't usually what we have rn, that's pretty rare. We didn't have much at CB4, but hell, Gunter held up far better than I would have expected him to. This isn't about who ended up good after, or who's out of the NFL, it's if you actually are looking at 53s other than your own team every single year, you'll realize very quickly it's not crazy or horrible. I don't sit and study 53s but I play a mock off season game every year for over a decade and I'll look through every roster many times, you gain perspective pretty easily when you see what some other teams have at different groups, especially stuff like CB, and OL. 

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

Wow this is a terrible post. It’s entirely reasonable to ask people what reference frame they are using to arrive at their opinion or “feelings”. Just because people are too lazy to do that (or more likely afraid that doing it would prove their assertion to be BS) doesn’t mean it’s an unreasonable question. 

When people make a pompous assertion, they’re setting themselves up to be challenged, and if they don’t have anything to back up their assertion, don’t make the assertion. 

Not terrible at all, since when are opinions references? Here we are asserting opinions as facts again. Also we're back to anyone question Ted being pompous? Give me a break, I love Ted as much as anyone here, I'll buy the old bastard a recliner to sit in my living room to watch games with me all season. However anyone who wants to say he lost his way at the end, I can totally see their point.

If you ask, name 5 QBs with more TDs than Rodgers since 2011 and 5 such exist, that's a reference. When you ask " name 10 GMs who drafted better than TT since 2013," I can name 31 and be just as correct as you, because you're asking for an opinion. It's a stupid way to argue.

You think Ted's 2015 is a great draft, name your points as to why, don't pass the buck on to someone else to do all the work for you to refute, do it yourself. That's all he's doing. 

And with that I'm forever done with Ted Thompson, AJ Hawk, Damarious Randall or Kevin King/TJ Watt arguments because I'm insanely sick of reading them.

With any discussion Ted, Gute, and draft, I think it's helpful to remember that Gute was the college scouting director, Ted's primary advisor and informant.  As Gute mentioned in his presser, he's been heavily involved with every guy who's ended up needing to get waived.  And I've got to assume he's been a well-respected voice in every bad draft over the past few years.  

Point being, I don't think Ted and Gute are likely to be significantly different.  Not sure it makes sense to think Ted stinks but Gute is great.  If Ted is going to get criticized for some recent drafts, I think Gute has to take some of the blame to go with it.  

But I'm not sure any blame needs to be assigned.  Sure, 2015 was an ineffective draft.  That doesn't mean the guys making it were dumb, or that the same scouts or the same process won't have very effective drafts thereafter.  

Whatever, I'm sure hoping the King-Williams-Jones draft turns out to produce some good guys, and that this year's draft will end up being really good.  

19 minutes ago, Norm said:

When we fired Ted we should have flashy thinged every fan with the thing from MiB. I'm so tired of this **** lol Everything that happens is about Ted.

Oh man, deneuralyze the whole fanbase, this is the best idea ever.

"Ted Thompson is retiring and going back to Texas to scout wild birds, Das Gute is taking over but life will remain normal. Enjoy your beer, cheese, and beer cheese as well as the 5 Super Bowls Thompson and Rodgers won together, as well as the 5 Favre won with Wolf. AJ Hawk wasn't a bad pick and Justin Harrell is a figment of your imagination."

5 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I guess Lowry could play 4-3 end in a pinch.  Maybe Wilkerson as well.

Still.  Depth is needed.

What is the deal with week 1 and vested veterans?

If a vested veteran is on the 53 man roster to start the season, their contract is guaranteed for the season. If they sign after week one, it’s not. 

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Oh man, deneuralyze the whole fanbase, this is the best idea ever.

"Ted Thompson is retiring and going back to Texas to scout wild birds, Das Gute is taking over but life will remain normal. Enjoy your beer, cheese, and beer cheese as well as the 5 Super Bowls Thompson and Rodgers won together, as well as the 5 Favre won with Wolf. AJ Hawk wasn't a bad pick and Justin Harrell is a figment of your imagination."

lol enjoy your 5 SBs they won with each QB, nice touch.

13 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

If a vested veteran is on the 53 man roster to start the season, their contract is guaranteed for the season. If they sign after week one, it’s not. 

Which is likely why Simon hasn't signed yet.  Thanks.

58 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Lewis!

Lewis is enormous(284lbs). He's your classic in line blocking TE. Kendricks and Byrd were the two H-Back candidates IMO. Was thinking they might go this way for some time now with Tonyan coming on. Many lump the TE's, H-Back's, and FB's together on cut day. I'd likely lean Kendricks over Rip more times than not pending situation as well. 

38 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I guess Lowry could play 4-3 end in a pinch.  Maybe Wilkerson as well.

Still.  Depth is needed.

What is the deal with week 1 and vested veterans?

How about Michael Johnson from Cincinnati?  They released him just recently, and he’s only 31 years old.  Could be a situational pass rusher - was one of the best in the league a few years ago.

Nevermind - I just saw that he resigned with Cincy on a one year deal.  Dang.

Archived