Are people sleeping on the Ravens?

SBLIII

I think so. People recognize the defense, but have no respect for the offense, which is understandable but I think it can be efficient enough to move chains and win low scoring affairs. I expect Flacco to stop playing like a guy that shouldn’t even start; I am buying into the camp hype and that he’s received a wake up call of sorts. Crab is better than any WR they’ve had since Steve Smith. I’m a big fan of Collins, reminds me of Lynch how he runs with that angry power. If Yanda is still the Yanda of years past, that’s a big boost to the run game. Dixon too as another back to lighten Collins’ workload. 

I never sleep on the Ravens, but your entire argument is based on "if's" and "could's"

No one is "sleeping" on them....people just view them as they are PROVEN TO BE AS OF NOW....a team that has made the playoffs once in the last 5 years and has huge question marks on offense, especially at QB.

The Ravens success largely depends on Flacco....so its understandable why many arent exactly excited about them being notably better than theyve been the last few years.

But, they can be annoyingly resilient, so I wont be shocked if they win the division.   

Probably. This is the healthiest we've been in years(knock on wood), the only significant injury we have is to Hayden Hurst, and he will only miss the first four weeks. Our defense is expected to be better than last seasons. On offense, we actually have a serviceable WRs now with Crabs, Brown, and Snead. Yanda is coming back from a season ending injury too. Last year we went 9-7 with a really good D, and one of the worst offenses in the league. I believe our defense has a solid chance of going to the Jaguars/Vikings tier defense this season, and with new WRs, injury-free OL, and motivated Flacco, I think our offense can be at least top 20. I have us going 11-5 and winning the division.

3 hours ago, Gannon12 said:

We will see. It’s like the Giants, can be absolute garbage one season and a serious contender the next. What Flacco do we get? 

I disagree, we've never sunken as low as the Giants to be absolute garbage, the one year we've had a losing season under Harbaugh is when Flacco had a season ending injury. Otherwise our lows have been 8-8 or 9-7 seasons.

I'm certainly not considering I picked them to be the #6 seed in the AFC this season.  Don't get me wrong, I can easily still see the Ravens as being a dumpster fire this year if Flacco doesn't play better, but for some reason I really think they will be right there in a battle for the division with the Steelers come December.

No, I don't think people are sleeping on them.  I think people are hesitant to pick them for the playoffs because their offense is so lackluster outside of Collins and Yanda.  Crabtree is a solid receiver but not a true #1.  Everyone says Flacco got a wake up call when they drafted Lamar, but I tend to take these reports with a grain of salt until I see enough proof with my own eyes to convince me that it's the case.  And let's be honest here, the odds of the Ravens defense shutting out 3 opponents again this year are pretty low

10 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

No, I don't think people are sleeping on them.  I think people are hesitant to pick them for the playoffs because their offense is so lackluster outside of Collins and Yanda.  Crabtree is a solid receiver but not a true #1.  Everyone says Flacco got a wake up call when they drafted Lamar, but I tend to take these reports with a grain of salt until I see enough proof with my own eyes to convince me that it's the case.  And let's be honest here, the odds of the Ravens defense shutting out 3 opponents again this year are pretty low

Yanda was out in week 2 with an injury last season, Collins and Yanda never got to play together. Crabtree is not a true #1, but still he's better than Wallace, and probably right there with old Steve/Boldin as the best receiver Flacco's ever had. The defense as a whole is expected to be better than last season with players coming back from injury, and emergence of new players.

10 minutes ago, RavensDefense3 said:

Yanda was out in week 2 with an injury last season, Collins and Yanda never got to play together. Crabtree is not a true #1, but still he's better than Wallace, and probably right there with old Steve/Boldin as the best receiver Flacco's ever had. The defense as a whole is expected to be better than last season with players coming back from injury, and emergence of new players.

You're right about Yanda's injury limiting the effectiveness of the offense all season long and I'm definitely intrigued by Collins and looking forward to seeing what he can do this season

Still, find it hard to believe the defense will be better than it was last season because it was pretty stout aside from the one play that it mattered the most.  And every team says that about every season, how guys are coming back from injury and the new guys will contribute. It's gonna take more than that to convince me that the Ravens are headed for a playoff berth this year

Archived