Tannehill. Do we move on or not?

TheKillerNacho

Do we move on from Tannehill after this year?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do we move on from Tannehill after this year?

2. 2. If we do move on, who would you want to bring in?

• Keep Cutler
    • Draft a rookie high in next year's draft
    • Bring in a free agent

How do you guys feel about Tannehill being our starting QB after this season? He was in a fringe state prior to this year and many, myself included, thought this was going to be a make or break season for him. Now he's done for the year. The biggest questions here are - can he stay healthy going forward? Will being out of football for over a year cause regression? If we do move on do we try to trade him? Who would you want to target to be his replacement?

As I've stated previously I'm kinda on the fence. I like Tannehill but if Cutler shows that he can come out and run the offense to the same caliber, it would seem we are too heavily invested. I'd probably like Gase to draft a new potential replacement. But a lot of it depends on how Cutler does and whether or not Ryan can recover quickly from surgery.

Tannehill is the guy until the Dolphins  can get a better QB and that will not be easy. The Dolphins are a good enough team that they will be picking in the bottom half of the draft for the  foreseeable  future. If Cutler plays lights out this year and gets Miami in the playoffs maybe Tannehill becomes trade bait next year but if Cutler bombs or  gets injured as in past seasons I think Tannehill gets more time to prove himself under Gase.   As far as free agent QB's I would only want a proven young free agent no backend of their career guys. Best case scenario is Miami drafts a sleeper QB that turns into a franchise QB.

Tannehill as trade bait? He'd be worth a 5th round pick. I think you stick with Tannehill just because its a little better job security for Gase. The right answer is to move on. Do the Dolphins have any players on the roster you consider a true blue chipper who you should keep no matter what? Jay might be that guy.

Trade down in drafts, amass talent, take chances on QBs. He's going to be 30 next year and will command a 20 million dollar cap hit that can be shaved to 4.6 million if you cut him.

6-7 years? My point is that you will wait until Ryan is 38 and clearly declining and look back on this moment and say huh, we could have cut him in 18' and had a cap hit of 4.5 mill (or trade). We could have really built an identity around the team, through the draft process and free agency as needed, instead of this middling everything.

Look I want you to keep Ryan. Keep a middle of the road QB who will at best get you into the playoffs. Have a QB with a cap hit of 20 mill. Jarvis Landry is gone next year. He's going to want elite money and I doubt Miami brings him back. Parker is going into his 3rd season and always has the same narrative, watch out for Parker this season. Where do you see this team going with Ryan at the helm?

Suh is another problem. His cap hit this year is 19.1 mill, next year 26.1 mill and the following 28.1 mill. No player that isn't a QB is worth that.

On 8/16/2017 at 6:24 AM, iothar said:

Tannehill as trade bait? He'd be worth a 5th round pick. I think you stick with Tannehill just because its a little better job security for Gase. The right answer is to move on. Do the Dolphins have any players on the roster you consider a true blue chipper who you should keep no matter what? Jay might be that guy.

Trade down in drafts, amass talent, take chances on QBs. He's going to be 30 next year and will command a 20 million dollar cap hit that can be shaved to 4.6 million if you cut him.

No RB is "that guy". Plus Ajayi's running style is not likely to last long in the NFL. Love him right now, but he reminds me way too much of Marion Barber to make me want to lock him up long term. Landry on the other hand...

Parker is going into his 3rd season and always has the same narrative, watch out for Parker this season. Where do you see this team going with Ryan at the helm?

As you say this is only his third season. He didn't even have that narrative his rookie year because he was injured. He improved significantly down the stretch last season. He's definitely a player I feel good being optimistic about.

I do agree with you about Suh. He's an excellent player but not worth that cap space. As for Ryan... I'm significantly on the fence. It really depends on if we're in position to draft blue-collar QB in next year's draft or not. Likely, we'll go 7-9 or 8-8 and not be able to. In which case going back to Tannehill would probably be the best option available for the team. Ultimately I trust Gase though.

8 hours ago, iothar said:

Suh is another problem. His cap hit this year is 19.1 mill, next year 26.1 mill and the following 28.1 mill. No player that isn't a QB is worth that.

FWIW, 2017 is the last season we incur a penalty by cutting him.

Dolphins could get small savings by cutting him in 2018 ($3.9m) and starting in 2019 they can save at least $15m if they choose to cut him.

14 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

As you say this is only his third season. He didn't even have that narrative his rookie year because he was injured. He improved significantly down the stretch last season. He's definitely a player I feel good being optimistic about.

I just want to hear a camp where everyone is raving about Parker working really hard in the offseason. Just taking everything seriously.

"The third-year player out of Louisville has succumbed to lingering back, hamstring and foot injuries throughout his NFL career. When the Dolphins dug deeper to see what the problem was, they discovered that his hydration, strength training and habits weren't beneficial enough for him." From the palm beach post. Could be a bunch of BS but when I see someone with that much talent and very middling results on an excellent run team ( play action pass anyone? ), it screams effort level. 

3 hours ago, iothar said:

I just want to hear a camp where everyone is raving about Parker working really hard in the offseason. Just taking everything seriously.

"The third-year player out of Louisville has succumbed to lingering back, hamstring and foot injuries throughout his NFL career. When the Dolphins dug deeper to see what the problem was, they discovered that his hydration, strength training and habits weren't beneficial enough for him." From the palm beach post. Could be a bunch of BS but when I see someone with that much talent and very middling results on an excellent run team ( play action pass anyone? ), it screams effort level. 

That was a problem he had last year.

Literally the next line of the article you posted:

"'Now better educated about how to stay rested and hydrated, Parker is healthy and tearing up Dolphins camp,' Tainer wrote."

Troll harder.

Archived