@mccloughanscot is on twitter and very active

Ghostnote

13 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

only other coach at that time that would of been decent would of been Jim Caldwell imo.

List of coaches selected in 2014:

• Bill O'Brien (Houston Texans) - current head coach; regular season record = 27-21 (0.563); post season record = 1-2
  • Jim Caldwell (Detroit Lions) - current head coach; regular season record (with Detroit) = 27-21 (0.563); post season record = 0-2
  • Mike Zimmer (Minnesota Vikings) - current head coach; regular season record = 26-22 (0.552); post season record = 0-1
  • Jay Gruden (Washington Redskins) - current head coach; regular season record = 21-26-1 (0.448); post season record = 0-1
  • Mike Pettine (Cleveland Browns) - fired after 2015; regular season record = 10-22 (0.313)
  • Lovie Smith (Tampa Bay Buccaneers) - fired after 2015; regular season record (with Bucs) = 8-24 (0.250)
  • Ken Whisenhunt (Tennessee Titans) - fired mid-2015; regular season record (with Titans) = 3-20 (0.130)

They couldn't have gotten O'Brien since they had Shanahan and the Texans were negotiating with him while the season was ongoing. However, Mike Zimmer was the guy they should have gone for and I said so at the time. Other alternatives would have been Todd Bowles and Dan Quinn (both hired as head coaches in 2015), or if you wanted to roll the dice, Adam Gase (I only say roll the dice since he was the OC while Manning was there and it was a big question how much he contributed to the offense; of course he was hired in 2016 by Miami).

So there were plenty of other viable options than Jay Gruden.

With the roster the Jets have if Bowles wins 4 games he deserves coach of the year. My picks in order were Zimmer, Bowles and Obrien- make him an offer he can't refuse, but I have to say Gruden has improved from the worst coach in the league (using talent to maximize strengths and minimize player weaknesses, develop players, prepare the players to win, develop game plans and make in game adjustments) to the third worst. By 2030 he may be a good coach if everything breaks right and he continues his improvement. 

I wanted Bevel - the Seahawks OC - and then I wanted to hire Ken Norton l, Jr. to be one defensive coordinator.

I will say that Gruden has done pretty well as a HC. Sure, he could be better but we have two back to back winning seasons for the first time in 20 years. I think he's only going to get better and our team is extremely young so hopefully that means we have a bright future.

20 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

With the roster the Jets have if Bowles wins 4 games he deserves coach of the year. My picks in order were Zimmer, Bowles and Obrien- make him an offer he can't refuse, but I have to say Gruden has improved from the worst coach in the league (using talent to maximize strengths and minimize player weaknesses, develop players, prepare the players to win, develop game plans and make in game adjustments) to the third worst. By 2030 he may be a good coach if everything breaks right and he continues his improvement. 

The Jets are openly tanking. 

Archived