Doom and Gloom thread - We have the worst WR core in the NFL

Vladimir L

22 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:
22 hours ago, TKellion said:

Wow I see we lose one game and things are back to normal around here.Same old doom and gloom.yeah our WR corps is nothing to scare anyone.But another losing season and we might get a new coach.So I am good.Make the playoffs or new coach.win win

This is actually the optimism via pessimism I love!

giphy.gif

22 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Look- Don't you realize Reed fumbled on the 21 yard line with 5 minutes left in the game and 4 Timeouts ( counting the two minute warning ) We could have scored with plenty of time left for another chance. We weren't running out the %%&&*%#% Clock !

In the plays leading up the fumble, the clock only stopped twice:

1. At 6:39 because of an incomplete pass to Reed
  2. At around 5:15-5:20 or so because of an injury to Trent Williams

At no time was there any sense of urgency from the coaching staff nor any attempt to save precious seconds by running routes to the sidelines. On average, excluding the incompletion, the next play occurred 20 seconds after the previous one. Two and a half minutes ran off the clock down two scores.

A sensible team would have tried to either move the ball further down the field, or make some sort of attempt to preserve clock.

However, let's assume they score a TD (and heck, let's toss in the 2pt conversion) ... it's now 21-17. At their rate of scoring (both in terms of time usage and distance), they would have needed another two to three plays to get into the end zone. Let's call it 4:00 remaining.

This is one of the few cases where I (if were the Colts coaching staff) would tell my kick off returner to come out of the endzone if the ball is fieldable. Because the clock doesn't start until the ball is touched in the field of play. Run off 10 seconds. Let's assume everything follows suit on the ensuing drive for the Colts and the Redskins get the ball back after a punt (and no timeouts). Instead of getting the ball back down 12 points with 3:47 to go, they would have gotten the ball back at about 2:50 down four on their own 25.

They still would have been short of time and unable to score the go-ahead touchdown because they likely would have followed the same dink and dunk pattern. At least on this drive, Smith scrambled out of bounds on two downs saving a little clock, but they never cared to save any of the othe rplays.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Here’s a picture of your second drop of the game for Doctson, good ball by Alex:

For all of the crap Doctson has deservedly gotten about being 50/50, let's all ignore the defender whose hand is right there to swat the ball away from him.

36 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I didn't see time as a major factor. Reed was down to the 21 ( before he didn't tuck the ball away ) It was 5 mins left with 4 times out. an eternity. We just needed that T D .. Then worry about getting the ball back...... IMHO

Again, assume they score a TD there.

There's no way they would have any timeouts after the Colts get the ball back because the Colts were just going to run every down (or throw a screen pass).

40 minutes ago, Woz said:

For all of the crap Doctson has deservedly gotten about being 50/50, let's all ignore the defender whose hand is right there to swat the ball away from him.

And the fact that Smith led him too much towards the sideline. No chance to come down in bounds even if the defender didn’t play it well.

43 minutes ago, Woz said:

It was a tough catch.

Here's the thing, Doctson brings ONE thing to the table, catching the tough ball. He doesn't run good routes. He isn't fast. He doesn't get YAC. His sole attribute for being in the NFL, let along a first round pick, is he makes the tough catches. And he's not.

On top of that, we got literally the worst QB for this guy we possibly could have.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Here’s a picture of your second drop of the game for Doctson, good ball by Alex:

You can blame Doctson for this, as others have, if you want. It was a bad throw that was flat and to the side of the end zone where he needed to A. Make the catch with the defenders hands in between the ball and himself B. Then manage to keep his feet in bounds. This was a extremely touch catch no matter what and Smith shouldn’t get excused for throwing a bad ball. 

50 minutes ago, Slateman said:

The problem with this line, is that it assumes that the coach is the problem. He ain't. He's the result of the problem.

1. I agree with you that he's the result of the problem, but
  2. I don't think you perhaps get my reference (I had included @TKellion's original post for context, but it was mainly in response to @Thaiphoon's comment).

6 minutes ago, Slateman said:

It was a tough catch.

Here's the thing, Doctson brings ONE thing to the table, catching the tough ball. He doesn't run good routes. He isn't fast. He doesn't get YAC. His sole attribute for being in the NFL, let along a first round pick, is he makes the tough catches. And he's not.

And I will concede that he's trending towards a bust. However, that particular analysis of that particular play gives zero credit to a great defensive effort. That's not really fair.

7 minutes ago, Slateman said:

On top of that, we got literally the worst QB for this guy we possibly could have.

This too.

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You can blame Doctson for this, as others have, if you want. It was a bad throw that was flat and to the side of the end zone where he needed to A. Make the catch with the defenders hands in between the ball and himself B. Then manage to keep his feet in bounds. This was a extremely touch catch no matter what and Smith shouldn’t get excused for throwing a bad ball. 

It was put up high in the back of the endzone where only Doctson could get it. Doctson got his hands on it but couldn’t bring it in as there was room for the defender to break it up. The ball was a good ball, it was good enough for Doctson to be the only one to jump up and grab it, just like the one he jumped up and grabbed in KC last year. 

1 hour ago, Woz said:

If Doctson plucks it and pulls it in quick, the defender doesn’t have a chance to break it up but he didn’t and the defender got his hand on the ball to break it up.

Just now, turtle28 said:

If Doctson plucks it and pulls it in quick, the defender doesn’t have a chance to break it up but he didn’t and the defender got his hand on the ball to break it up.

5:46 on the game clock (6:21 on the video) - the ball is coming down in the end zone ... the ball is coming down and Doctson gets his hands on it (yes, that all happens in one second). If you pause it correctly, you will see that as soon as Doctson has his hands on the ball, the Colt defender already has his hand up between Doctson's outstretched arms.

5:45 on the game clock (still 6:21 on the video) - Doctson comes down with his left foot in bounds, but the Colt defender has pulled his left arm across the ball dislodging it.

This all happened in mid air while Doctson was stretching his arms to grab the ball. Barring making the Colt defender's arm phase through the football or maybe having Doctson turn his arms into rubber bands to snap back faster than is humanly possible, there's no possible way for Doctson to have made that catch. It was a great defensive play

Just now, turtle28 said:

It was put up high in the back of the endzone where only Doctson could get it. Doctson got his hands on it but couldn’t bring it in as there was room for the defender to break it up. The ball was a good ball, it was good enough for Doctson to be the only one to jump up and grab it, just like the one he jumped up and grabbed in KC last year. 

Stand up and put your arms together, such that your forearms are touching. Now, reach out from your body as far as you can. Imagine trying to catch a football like that. Oh, yeah, and do it while jumping three feet in the air.

That's essentially what you're asking.

59 minutes ago, Woz said:

And I will concede that he's trending towards a bust. However, that particular analysis of that particular play gives zero credit to a great defensive effort. That's not really fair.

This too.

It's fair because that's going to be the norm against Doctson. He simply doesnt get enough separation on a consistent basis. He has to win those. That is all he has. 

Archived