Doom and Gloom thread - We have the worst WR core in the NFL

Vladimir L

Just now, Slateman said:

It's fair because that's going to be the norm against Doctson. He simply doesnt get enough separation on a consistent basis. He has to win those. That is all he has. 

At the same time, if you look at the highlight video, there's not a whole lot more he could do against a defender in the perfect place if he was to try and get in bounds.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

*blinks a few times after reading that article*

Did the author actually write

Green Bay, however, has to worry about every single Aaron Rodgers dropback. That is a lot more worrisome than, say, Smith's chemistry with his outside targets.

Really? Yes, he could get injured, but he's also the guy who carries the team on his shoulders. The Redskins would kill (mean this figuratively, but maybe Snyder would do this literally?) to have that sort of problem.

Also

The fact of the matter is the Burgundy and Gold are 1-1 and right in the thick of the race.

No one is pulling away in the NFC East and some other preseason contenders are stuck in neutral. Beating the Colts would've been really useful — especially if the standings are still tight come playoff time — but the loss didn't doom them by any stretch.

Well, that's certainly an understatement if the NFC is as muddled as the author implies.

On 9/18/2018 at 3:43 PM, Woz said:

Instead of getting the ball back down 12 points with 3:47 to go, they would have gotten the ball back at about 2:50 down four on their own 25.

I don't necessarily agree with all the assumptions made to get them to this point (specifically that if the Colts took the kickoff out of the endzone and then went 3-and-out, that we'd have then gotten the ball back on our own 25), but they're close enough to legit.

In the scenario you've outlined, the generic Win Probability calculator would give us about a 40% chance to win the game. Which I consider a little high (largely because it doesn't take timeouts into account), but I don't think it's unreasonably high. We were by every account the better team coming in, their defense is certainly nothing special, and we have a veteran QB with the sort of receivers who are effective in the 2-3 minute drill. With that much time left (almost 3 minutes) and down only one score, nickel-and-diming them down the field is actually an effective way to handle yourself. Tom Brady has been doing it for a decade in that similar time frame. 

The problem with all of it is that you're counting on everything to go right. No margin for error. Have to score a TD on the Reed fumble drive. Have to stop them 3-and-out. Have to move the ball efficiently and smoothly on the hypothetical GW drive. That's always been my biggest criticism of Gruden as a manager/strategist -- it can work out and we can win the way he's planning it out, but only if everything goes according to plan. There's no "well, we need to give ourselves some extra time in case..." built into his time management.

It's like the person who always plans it out so they leave themselves exactly enough time to get where they're going. Based on the usual travel time, etc. Sometimes they're spot on. But if anything comes up, anything at all, they're gonna be late. That's how I've always felt about Gruden at the end of games.

22 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

If Josh Dotson could block a charging mother elephant, I’d still consider him a bust

At this point, he’s going to have to finish the year with near or over 60 recs, near or over 800 yards and have at least 6 TDs or I’m going to be leaning hard that way. He will have one more season after this season to prove himself though, so he’s not exactly in the same position as say Preston Smith.

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

At this point, he’s going to have to finish the year with near or over 60 recs, near or over 800 yards and have at least 6 TDs or I’m going to be leaning hard that way. He will have one more season after this season to prove himself though, so he’s not exactly in the same position as say Preston Smith.

If I'm the Redskins, that season will be elsewhere

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

If I'm the Redskins, that season will be elsewhere

Why would you trade Doctson if he had 55 plus recs, 750 plus recs and 5 or 6 TDs in the final 14 games? That would mean he’s clearly trending in the right direction after a rough start to the season.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

The problem with all of it is that you're counting on everything to go right. No margin for error. Have to score a TD on the Reed fumble drive. Have to stop them 3-and-out. Have to move the ball efficiently and smoothly on the hypothetical GW drive. That's always been my biggest criticism of Gruden as a manager/strategist -- it can work out and we can win the way he's planning it out, but only if everything goes according to plan. There's no "well, we need to give ourselves some extra time in case..." built into his time management.

It's like the person who always plans it out so they leave themselves exactly enough time to get where they're going. Based on the usual travel time, etc. Sometimes they're spot on. But if anything comes up, anything at all, they're gonna be late. That's how I've always felt about Gruden at the end of games.

This. Oh so this.

There was no plan, from the coach or the QB, to save precious seconds.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Why would you trade Doctson if he had 55 plus recs, 750 plus recs and 5 or 6 TDs in the final 14 games? That would mean he’s clearly trending in the right direction after a rough start to the season.

This was predicated on him not hitting those numbers. You indicated if he didn't hi those marks, he'd still have one more season to prove himself. If he doesn't hit those #'s this season, trade him for whatever you can get.

Archived