2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I still don't know why everybody's so hung up on receiver.  Gerronimo Allison had 5 catches for 15 yards .5 touchdowns per start before he got hurt last year. 

Davante Adams
Gerronimo Allison
MVS
ESB
Moore
Kumerow

We do not need a receiver. 

If you draft a receiver in one or even two, you're essentially giving up on both ESB and MVS developing into a starter when both have shown they have more than enough potential to not only be a starter, but even turn into star wideouts. 

Some positions you can never have too much of.

You can never have too many DL, EDGE or defensive backs.  You can never have too many healthy OL. 

With WR though?  Taking a WR in one or two guarantees three of seven high-potential receivers are not on the field. 

5 OL play every single play.
DL and EDGE rotate into the game more than any other position groups.

How often are four receivers on the field at a time? 

We could use a slot but overall the talent is there on the outside. I'd like Isabella in round 3 or 4.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I still don't know why everybody's so hung up on receiver.  Gerronimo Allison had 5 catches for 15 yards .5 touchdowns per start before he got hurt last year. 

Davante Adams
Gerronimo Allison
MVS
ESB
Moore
Kumerow

We do not need a receiver. 

If you draft a receiver in one or even two, you're essentially giving up on both ESB and MVS developing into a starter when both have shown they have more than enough potential to not only be a starter, but even turn into star wideouts. 

Some positions you can never have too much of.

You can never have too many DL, EDGE or defensive backs.  You can never have too many healthy OL. 

With WR though?  Taking a WR in one or two guarantees three of seven high-potential receivers are not on the field. 

5 OL play every single play.
DL and EDGE rotate into the game more than any other position groups.

How often are four receivers on the field at a time? 

I get it, I think it's just that we've become obsessed with scoring as much as possible and having gaudy passing stats. Last year, it was clear that AR was focusing only on Vante. There's a caveat for this year, though as the 3-5 WRs are going to be in year two and SHOULD be more comfortable in the offense. That being said, I won't lose sleep if we burn a top 100 pick on a WR to bump Kumerow or give Moore another year to let the paint dry.

But agreed, we should be focusing on better positions of need.

Just now, CWood21 said:

We may not need a WR, but it's also not a position that you're completely ignoring either.

We didn't ignore it.  We just spent three picks on it last year, and two of those picks were hits higher than any other in the same round since 2010.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&draft=1&year_min=2010&year_max=2018&season_start=1&season_end=1&pos[]=wr&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2019&draft_round_min=5&draft_round_max=7&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=wr&c5val=1.0&order_by=rec

How do people still ignore this? 

Just now, Kepler said:

Coz Aaron so gud he make grammas into all pro receivers HURP DURP.....

...... so goes the dumbest argument in the world anyway.

That really bothers me, too.  If somebody were to give me access to All-22 because I'm too cheap to pay for it, I could come up with 40 plays minimum where MVS was wide open WITH Rodgers staring him down while being wide open in which Rodgers did not throw to him.  40 might be an exaggeration.  Let's say 37 plays instead. 

MVS is legit the real deal at WR and he is legit the next Diggs/Colston/Driver/Brown drafted way too late. 

ESB I could see going either way, but ESB's floor is probably Robert Ferguson. 

Rotoworld:

Ole Miss T Greg Little is visiting the Green Bay Packers.

Little (6'5/310) would be in play for the Packers second first-round pick (No. 30 overall). Before athletic testing, Little was grouped in with the top tier offensive tackles, but his 30th percentile athleticism has dropped him below the likes of Andre Dillard and Jonah Williams, who both were brought to Green Bay for visits. Consider Little on the Day 1/2 borderline. Source: Tom Silverstein on Twitter  Apr 17, 2019, 11:46 AM

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That really bothers me, too.  If somebody were to give me access to All-22 because I'm too cheap to pay for it, I could come up with 40 plays minimum where MVS was wide open WITH Rodgers staring him down while being wide open in which Rodgers did not throw to him.  40 might be an exaggeration.  Let's say 37 plays instead. 

MVS is legit the real deal at WR and he is legit the next Diggs/Colston/Driver/Brown drafted way too late. 

ESB I could see going either way, but ESB's floor is probably Robert Ferguson. 

Davante we've got pegged. Allison we've got pegged. If AR would throw the ball to either of these two, we'd have them pegged as well. The talent is there. What they need is a football. I think EQ could/will put Robert Ferguson to shame. All he needs is the football.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rotoworld:

Ole Miss T Greg Little is visiting the Green Bay Packers.

Little (6'5/310) would be in play for the Packers second first-round pick (No. 30 overall). Before athletic testing, Little was grouped in with the top tier offensive tackles, but his 30th percentile athleticism has dropped him below the likes of Andre Dillard and Jonah Williams, who both were brought to Green Bay for visits. Consider Little on the Day 1/2 borderline. Source: Tom Silverstein on Twitter  Apr 17, 2019, 11:46 AM

So weird, I could have swore I read that he visited already lol.

31 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

I would not be sad about this draft at all. Burns and Adderley are two of my favorite guys for us.  Fant would give us that Jared Cook type TE that I believe works best with Rodgers and Isabella gives us that true slot type player a lot of fans have been looking for, it doesn't hurt that he runs in the low 4.3s. 

In a lot of my mock drafts, I have Burns and Adderley in the same spots but I have AJ Brown was at 30 and Jace Stenbeger at 75. Would be happy with either. 

Ya know.....I've got to tune this stuff out. Brain overload.

The more I listen and read....the more this guy....whats his name (?)......T.J. Hockenson grows on me.  Ha!

With Graham on board this season, TJ is the more natural fit to the offense. Take Graham off the field, Fant's his more natural replacement.
All depends on what offense MLF has in mind.

Good podcast over at CHTV discussing this position. If we nab other positons/talents than TJ/Fant - Sternberger later on makes sense.....but there's a bunch of TE'd down the line (more developmental guys that I know little about......) who we should be able to nab in the later rounds.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media's Tom Pelissero reports that Mississippi State DT Jeffery Simmons will, at minimum, start his rookie season on the PUP list.

"Most teams" expect Simmons to be out the entire 2019 season because of his torn ACL and minor meniscus tear, but that does not rule him out as a first-rounder. In fact, it's more likely that he is selected within the first 32 picks than not. Before his injury, Simmons was widely considered as a top-10 selection, so it's just a matter of how far to drop a high-end prospect because of a missed rookie season. Source: NFL.com Apr 17, 2019, 11:16 AM

It appears the only question for GB is will (or should) they be one of the teams vying for his talents with a first round pick.

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Rotoworld:

NFL Media's Tom Pelissero reports that Mississippi State DT Jeffery Simmons will, at minimum, start his rookie season on the PUP list.

"Most teams" expect Simmons to be out the entire 2019 season because of his torn ACL and minor meniscus tear, but that does not rule him out as a first-rounder. In fact, it's more likely that he is selected within the first 32 picks than not. Before his injury, Simmons was widely considered as a top-10 selection, so it's just a matter of how far to drop a high-end prospect because of a missed rookie season. Source: NFL.com Apr 17, 2019, 11:16 AM

It appears the only question for GB is will (or should) they be one of the teams vying for his talents with a first round pick.

I'm think no on Simmons in round one, but yes at pick #44. 

The MDs are coming fast and furious.....

SI

12. Green Bay: Jawaan Taylor, T, Florida
Bryan Bulaga, the Packers’ 10-year veteran right tackle, is entering his 10th NFL season and the final year of his contract and has dealt with several injuries over the last two seasons. Taylor, who played right tackle for Florida, makes sense here.

30. Green Bay (from New Orleans): A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss
I’m cringing at putting three receivers in the first round, but if Fant is already off the board, perhaps the Packers go for another offensive weapon? Brown is a big-bodied slot receiver who could help replace Randall Cobb.

Notables:

5. Tampa Bay: Devin White, LB, LSU
6. N.Y. Giants: Rashan Gary, EDGE, Michigan
8. Detroit: T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa >:(
9. Buffalo: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston >:(
14. Atlanta: Montez Sweat, EDGE, Mississippi State
16. Carolina: Brian Burns, EDGE, Florida State  >:(
18. Minnesota: Garrett Bradbury, C, N.C. State
21. Seattle: Clelin Ferrell, EDGE, Clemson
22. Baltimore: D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss
24. Oakland (from Chicago): Noah Fant, TE, Iowa >:(
26. Indianapolis: Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm think no on Simmons in round one, but yes at pick #44. 

Highly doubtful we'd get the luxury of waiting that long. Not from what I'm reading/hearing. We want this guy, we're gonna have to go get him.

Archived