2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

This is bait so if he's there at 12 and Miami, Washington or Oakland want him they come calling. Might be a way to try and extract additional or higher pick to move down. 

I don't think that would be the reason.  Anyone wanting to trade to #12 to get Lock will pay.  Just let them know that the phone is ringing.  He's going to go top 10 though.

17 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

If AJ Brown / Jeffrey Simmons / N'keal Harry are there at 30, which do you pull the trigger on? 

One of the WR that MIGHT help a little bit or a nice DL piece that has to be put on ice for the year?

Simmons. Just too good to pass up at 30, as much as I love those two WR prospects.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Just a gut feeling, but I think Ed Oliver is the guy that Gute wants at 12.

I honestly think he may try to trade up to get Oliver. My favorite player that could realistically fall to the Packers. I think if he is there past the Lions it wouldn't surprise me to try to get a trade up. 

Just now, Spartacus said:

I honestly think he may try to trade up to get Oliver. My favorite player that could realistically fall to the Packers. I think if he is there past the Lions it wouldn't surprise me to try to get a trade up. 

I could see maybe a minor trade up (say Buffalo), but I don't think they're moving up.  But they're not giving up more than a 3rd at most to move up IMO.

Just now, Spartacus said:

That's what I mean if he gets past the Lions I would trade up to get him. He is the last of the top 10 tier talents and I just don't like none of the players we are discussing at 12 actually at 12. 

I think it depends on the board.  I think Gute would be more than comfortable selecting someone like Brian Burns, Montez Sweat, Andre Dillard, etc.  Just depends on how the board breaks.  I guess my question is how does the EDGE board break after 12?  Montez Sweat probably doesn't fall far unless the medical concerns are worse than we thought.  Brian Burns could be in for a drop, but I don't think that's going to happen.  You're probably looking more at Chase Winovich, Christian Miller, etc. as potential picks late Day 2, early Day 2 if you're wanting to grab another EDGE.

54 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

If AJ Brown / Jeffrey Simmons / N'keal Harry are there at 30, which do you pull the trigger on? 

One of the WR that MIGHT help a little bit or a nice DL piece that has to be put on ice for the year?

Depends on what we did at 12 for me. Regardless of what's being reported, I'm a firm believer this team needs more firepower on offense so I'm expecting a WR to be taken by 44 at the latest, worst case by 75. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Just don't see any way Oliver is there at 12. Bucs, Giants, Lions and Buffalo all have a need there. 

Tampa Bay at 5 is probably the first "in play" position for Oliver IMO.  New York at 6 and Detroit at 8 (or Atlanta via trade up) are two most likely spots.  Not saying it's likely, which is why I think we end up drafting one of the EDGE (Burns/Sweat) or an OT (Dillard/Jonah).

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Tampa Bay at 5 is probably the first "in play" position for Oliver IMO.  New York at 6 and Detroit at 8 (or Atlanta via trade up) are two most likely spots.  Not saying it's likely, which is why I think we end up drafting one of the EDGE (Burns/Sweat) or an OT (Dillard/Jonah).

Are we reaching with Jonah at 12? I just can't get behind that pick. Dillard I could stomach because he's probably (hopefully) ready to start at RT in 2020 and has tremendous upside. He'd also be a huge asset as backup LT if needed. Jonah to me is a guard. You'd be putting him at a lesser position at RT where he might not be athletically able to hold up in LaFleur's scheme and even if he does, you're probably playing him out-of-position even if he holds up at tackle. I could get behind drafting him to replace Taylor at LG where I think Jonah would excel, but not at 12, especially if I can basically get the same player in Lindstrom or Risner at 30. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Are we reaching with Jonah at 12? I just can't get behind that pick. Dillard I could stomach because he's probably (hopefully) ready to start at RT in 2020 and has tremendous upside. He'd also be a huge asset as backup LT if needed. Jonah to me is a guard. You'd be putting him at a lesser position at RT where he might not be athletically able to hold up in LaFleur's scheme and even if he does, you're probably playing him out-of-position even if he holds up at tackle. I could get behind drafting him to replace Taylor at LG where I think Jonah would excel, but not at 12, especially if I can basically get the same player in Lindstrom or Risner at 30. 

Not really, no.  It kinda reminds me of the Bryan Bulaga selection.  There's nothing sexy about the pick by any means, but you're getting a stalwart for the next decade.  He's playing somewhere on the OL for the next decade.  Hopefully it's at RT, but in theory he could play any of the OL spots except center.  I don't think he has any experience there.  I'd probably lean towards Dillard because of the physical tools, but he's significantly more raw than Jonah Williams.  He's probably a year away from meaningful snaps.  You're going to get almost nothing from him in the run game Y1.  I want nothing to do with Jawann Taylor.  It's Jonah or Dillard if they're taking an OT.  But I'd still have a slew of EDGE and Oliver ahead of those OT.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not really, no.  It kinda reminds me of the Bryan Bulaga selection.  There's nothing sexy about the pick by any means, but you're getting a stalwart for the next decade.  He's playing somewhere on the OL for the next decade.  Hopefully it's at RT, but in theory he could play any of the OL spots except center.  I don't think he has any experience there.  I'd probably lean towards Dillard because of the physical tools, but he's significantly more raw than Jonah Williams.  He's probably a year away from meaningful snaps.  You're going to get almost nothing from him in the run game Y1.  I want nothing to do with Jawann Taylor.  It's Jonah or Dillard if they're taking an OT.  But I'd still have a slew of EDGE and Oliver ahead of those OT.

Jonah makes me think of Bulaga as well, and I'd feel a lot better about Jonah at pick 23 versus 12. Think it would take a trade down for me to be okay for Jonah as our first pick. 

Archived