2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’d rather have a top tier 2019 draft QB at 30 than Devin freaking Bush at 12. That’s for sure.

I'm probably easier to please than most at 12. My "happy" list is set at: 

Oliver, Sweat, Burns, White, Bush, Metcalf, Hockenson and Dillard. (excluding the big 3 on defense who won't be there). 

18 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I am confused, if they have potential interest in him in a few years, then why wouldn't they draft him now to get him into the system?  Makes no sense to scout him, figure where he would fit in the new system, then let someone else take him and try to trade for him later.  Take this to the bank, if they pass and try to trade for him in 2 years, they will give up a higher draft pick to trade for him, then to draft him.

My opinion on that is that he is just not ready at the moment (and may never be), but if he can go some way to increasing his accuracy (personally, I am doubting that, guys who were inaccurate in college are generally inaccurate in the NFL) he might be of interest in a few years. I also think he has issues reading the field, another no-no.

Because he has good size and a good arm, they are covering that small chance of him improving in the areas that matter. That doesn't make him worth a high pick now (odds are poor he turns into something worth keeping, imo), but might be interesting in a few years.

Real question about QB development... how many guys are inaccurate in college and then accurate in the NFL? I'm very much of the Mike Leach approach where guys don't really get more accurate once they pass a certain age.

48 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The weird thing is the Packers are kinda in that no man's land.  It's not inconceivable they take a QB early given that Aaron Rodger is going to play his age 35 season and he's struggled with injuries the last 2 years.  It's not out of the realm of possibilities that they could start planning for life after Aaron Rodgers.  Not likely, but not impossible.  On the other hand, the Packers wouldn't realistically let Lock see the field for 3 years.  Are they really going to invest the 12th overall pick into a QB whose going to sit for at least 3 years?  I don't think so.  Honestly, this smells like the DeShone Kizer rumor that was floated before the start of Day 2 in 2017 before they took Kevin King.

I agree.
Not likely.
Not impossible.
But not happening.
:)

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A thought occurs about this Drew Lock noise:

What team was most linked to Lock throughout this process?  Denver

Which are the two teams in the top 11, other than Arizona and the Giants, most likely to take a QB high? Denver and Cincinnati.

Which team picking after the Packers has been most rumored to be interested in moving up to get someone?  Atlanta, who picks 14th.

So it's entirely plausible that the Packers are signposting to the Bengals and Broncos "hey, don't get cute, if you want the QB just take him, there is no guarantee that he will be there later".  Even if it makes no sense for Green Bay to take Drew Lock without an out in the Aaron Rodgers contract until 2022, you can still plant doubt in the minds of the two teams picking directly ahead of you.

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy......
And in this hand of High Stakes NFL Poker......
I (CIN and/or DEN) am seeing you're wager.....and going all in....that you're not gonna draft Lock at 12.....and I'm drafting other players instead!
So....none of us wind up with Lock....but I win the bet! So there! :)

30 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

My opinion on that is that he is just not ready at the moment (and may never be), but if he can go some way to increasing his accuracy (personally, I am doubting that, guys who were inaccurate in college are generally inaccurate in the NFL) he might be of interest in a few years. I also think he has issues reading the field, another no-no.

Because he has good size and a good arm, they are covering that small chance of him improving in the areas that matter. That doesn't make him worth a high pick now (odds are poor he turns into something worth keeping, imo), but might be interesting in a few years.

Ok, that make more sense to me.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’d rather have a top tier 2019 draft QB at 30 than Devin freaking Bush at 12. That’s for sure.

Lock isn't a top teir QB. He'd have been a toss up with Mason Rudolph last year as QB 6-7 which would have made him a 3rd to 4th rounder.

Bush, although a reach, is at least a top 20 prospect that would improve the team.

I'm very interested to see how much real interest there is in these QBs (Haskins/Lock/Jones). It wouldn't shock me if they all go round 3 or later. One team probably falls in love and trades up for the fifth year option for one, but I don't see it.

13 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Lock isn't a top teir QB. He'd have been a toss up with Mason Rudolph last year as QB 6-7 which would have made him a 3rd to 4th rounder.

Bush, although a reach, is at least a top 20 prospect that would improve the team.

I'm very interested to see how much real interest there is in these QBs (Haskins/Lock/Jones). It wouldn't shock me if they all go round 3 or later. One team probably falls in love and trades up for the fifth year option for one, but I don't see it.

I think you could make an argument that Lock could have been the 4th highest QB depending on how you view Josh Allen.

Steve Wyche:  Was just told by someone with knowledge of the scheduled visit that Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray no longer plans to meet with the Washington Redskins this week.

Read: "I've got better things to do and we both know you're not going to draft high enough to take me....so you can keep your crab cakes" :)

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I specified 2019 draft QBs for a reason. Don’t love any of them. Bet they all go round 1 bc they’re QBs though.

29 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I specified 2019 draft QBs for a reason. Don’t love any of them. Bet they all go round 1 bc they’re QBs though.

I think two (Kyler and pick one late) goes round. I don’t see the talent or really the genuine interest this year. Really outside of Miami, no team is really desperate this year and I see a lot of fake interest;

AZ-  they took Rosen last year and could legitimately just be trying to trade the pick. It wouldn’t shock me if they just took Bosa

Oak- has Carr, who has had moments 

NYG- hot seat GM who needs to win or will get fired. It is Eli or bust

Denver- has Flacco, Elway is on the hotseat

Washington- traded for Keenum, Shanny is on the hot seat, gotta win or fired.

On top of Bama,Clemson, and GA have better qbs coming out in the next 2 yeara

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think you could make an argument that Lock could have been the 4th highest QB depending on how you view Josh Allen.

You could , I’d say Allen had the size and Flacco arm though. People forget Allen had #1 buzz going into the year. Lock never did

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Steve Wyche:  Was just told by someone with knowledge of the scheduled visit that Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray no longer plans to meet with the Washington Redskins this week.

Read: "I've got better things to do and we both know you're not going to draft high enough to take me....so you can keep your crab cakes" :)

Ummm bad agent work here.

Redskins could be looking to move up...

Archived