2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

22 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think "he's not going to be able to physically go during organized team activities" even matters".  Mostly those are for installs- the mental work is more important than the physical work.  Drafted underclassmen whose schools are on the quarters system can't even attend OTAs, and we draft Pac-12 kids all the time.

Couldn't remember if he was out minicamp or just OTAs. But it's probably enough to have him slide to late one at least. Clark and Chris Jones went later and I think they were better prospects. I wouldn't mind Tillery but it still leaves me wondering who is a good pick at 12.

37 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers go QB 12 or 30. They brought in caliber QBs Lock and Jones.

The only way we take a QB at 12 is if we think he's a bonafide top 5 player in the draft (regardless of position). Pretty much ditto at 30.

Just due diligence.

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

Tillery had surgery on his labrum. May not be ready before regular season.

I have as reliable of sources as anyone. The rumors on Harry could be smoke but GB has definitely added to that and I definitely see why he would fit and why the Pack would be all over him. I slotted him as a likely GB type before I heard any rumors. If Harry gets with the right team, he could be the best WR in the draft. He just needs a lot of work but he will do it imo.

I am very interested to see if the Packers are just putting out smoke on these receivers. So too with other players. That's especially so on Isabella where Pauline has reported that Isabella is going to Arizona or GB. Pauline is a solid source.

I'm not questioning your sources, just curious who they are because you seem to speak in absolutes about guys. Would you say Pauline is your main source? If so, what makes him so reliable that you are so sure on his "takes" or "rumors"? 

I actually agree with you on a lot of your prospects that you like. I think myself and others get thrown off by you speaking in absolutes or calling certain takes sure things. 

I think you are right in that the Packers are looking at WR in the early rounds. They have met with or have been connected to a bunch of WR's through the draft process. 

Here is who they have been connected to below:

• Jesse Aniebonam, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Maryland (PRI)
  • Andrew Beck, FB/TE, Texas (PRI)
  • Nick Brossette, RB, LSU (EW)
  • Blace Brown, CB, Troy (EW)
  • Lukas Denis, S, Boston College (EW)
  • Kaden Elliss, ILB, Idaho (PRI)
  • Noah Fant, TE, Iowa (COM)
  • Tim Harris, CB, Virginia (PRO)
  • Penny Hart, WR, Georgia State (SR)
  • Trysten Hill, DT/NT, Central Florida (PRI)
  • Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State (PRI)
  • Daniel Jones, QB, Duke (PRI)
  • Drew Lock, QB, Missouri (PRI)
  • Daylon Mack, DT/NT, Texas A&M (EW)
  • Kaleb McGary^, OT, Washington (PRO, PRI)
  • Ed Oliver, DT, Houston (COM)
  • Jachai Polite, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Florida (COM)
  • Randy Ramsey, OLB, Arkansas (PRI)
  • Jeff Smith, WR, Boston College (PRI)
  • Jace Sternberger^, TE, Texas A&M (COM, PRI)
  • Montez Sweat, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Mississippi State (PRI)
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (COM)
  • DeAndre Thompkins, WR, Penn State (PRI)
  • Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo (EW)
  • Olisaemeka Udoh, OT, Elon (EW)
  • Quinnen Williams, DT/3-4DE, Alabama (COM)

I feel like you could tally up the number of guys we have met with at each position and have a pretty good feel for what positions we're targeting and when. 

14 minutes ago, Lieker said:

I'm not questioning your sources, just curious who they are because you seem to speak in absolutes about guys. Would you say Pauline is your main source? If so, what makes him so reliable that you are so sure on his "takes" or "rumors"? 

I actually agree with you on a lot of your prospects that you like. I think myself and others get thrown off by you speaking in absolutes or calling certain takes sure things. 

I think you are right in that the Packers are looking at WR in the early rounds. They have met with or have been connected to a bunch of WR's through the draft process. 

Here is who they have been connected to below:

• Jesse Aniebonam, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Maryland (PRI)
  • Andrew Beck, FB/TE, Texas (PRI)
  • Nick Brossette, RB, LSU (EW)
  • Blace Brown, CB, Troy (EW)
  • Lukas Denis, S, Boston College (EW)
  • Kaden Elliss, ILB, Idaho (PRI)
  • Noah Fant, TE, Iowa (COM)
  • Tim Harris, CB, Virginia (PRO)
  • Penny Hart, WR, Georgia State (SR)
  • Trysten Hill, DT/NT, Central Florida (PRI)
  • Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State (PRI)
  • Daniel Jones, QB, Duke (PRI)
  • Drew Lock, QB, Missouri (PRI)
  • Daylon Mack, DT/NT, Texas A&M (EW)
  • Kaleb McGary^, OT, Washington (PRO, PRI)
  • Ed Oliver, DT, Houston (COM)
  • Jachai Polite, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Florida (COM)
  • Randy Ramsey, OLB, Arkansas (PRI)
  • Jeff Smith, WR, Boston College (PRI)
  • Jace Sternberger^, TE, Texas A&M (COM, PRI)
  • Montez Sweat, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Mississippi State (PRI)
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida (COM)
  • DeAndre Thompkins, WR, Penn State (PRI)
  • Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo (EW)
  • Olisaemeka Udoh, OT, Elon (EW)
  • Quinnen Williams, DT/3-4DE, Alabama (COM)

I feel like you could tally up the number of guys we have met with at each position and have a pretty good feel for what positions we're targeting and when. 

Just take my "absolutes" or "sure things" as my own takes only. I'm not sure about anything except that GB DOES have interest in these players and are ones I slot as GB types of guys. I may come off more sure than I am. I'm still getting a feel where they will go.

What I do NOT KNOW, is how high they are on the board. Hope that helps. To me it's just interesting where they will go.

And sometimes they just bring in guys to answer questions. Their favorite guys often they have no questions about. They've been watching them since high school. But I have a good idea who they look for over the years. Interviews are very helpful there. Presently Harry is being slotted borderline one by Pauline. I understand why he's lower. He needs work and the right home. He and Polite will be most interesting on draft day to me. 

Edit: definitely agree with what you say about what positions GB is looking at

2 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Just take my "absolutes" or "sure things" as my own takes only. I'm not sure about anything except that GB DOES have interest in these players and are ones I slot as GB types of guys with interest.

What I do NOT KNOW, is how high they are on the board. Hope that helps. To me it's just interesting where they will go.

And sometimes they just bring in guys to answer questions. Their favorite guys often they have no questions about. They've been watching them since high school.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I think this is why some on the board have been frustrated with you. This makes a lot more sense.

Completely agree. Last year I don't think we were connected to Jaire Alexander at all. 

I think we can write off any chance Oliver drops to us at 12.
From everything I'm reading, there's more than a few teams ahead of us with Oliver in their sights. One of them is the Bucs.

TDN:  Potential Replacements For Gerald McCoy In 2019 NFL Draft

Ed Oliver, Houston

I really don't think Quinnen Williams is going to fall to the Bucs at No. 5. If they really want Williams, who I believe is No. 1 on their board, they would have to trade up to get him. But I don't see that happening.

I think it is much more realistic to envision the Bucs staying at No. 5, if not trading down even further. If they stay at No. 5, they'll likely have the chance to draft Oliver, a choice that would make a lot of sense.

As an undersized interior defensive lineman, Oliver is about as athletic as they come for a player of the position. The potential knock on him is his overall playing weight, which is probably between 275-280 pounds, but for a team like the Bucs, pairing him with Vita Vea in the middle can still make sense without the worry of Oliver being overpowered. Oliver can still jump his gaps while having the mental security that Vea takes up so much space to recover. In a versatile 3-4 defense, Oliver would fit like a glove in Tampa Bay.

Jeffery Simmons, Mississippi State

Simmons is more of a top-of-the-second-round option for the Buccaneers rather than one at No. 5. Simmons was one of the Top 10 best players in college football last season, but an ACL tear early in this draft process has hurt his stock significantly. He'll likely be out for most of his first season, but that's why you might be able to get him as late as pick No. 39 (If we dont nab him first @ 30), if you're Tampa Bay. Simmons does not have any size concerns at 6-foot-3, 300 pounds. He is a run stuffing stud, but also has some pass rush potential to him. Again, he and Vea next to each other would be dominant, as long as that ACL heals up properly.

Khalen Saunders, Western Illinois

Saunders is a potential early Day 3 player who could be a nice Bucs target for this position. I'd almost consider him to be Ed Oliver-lite. Saunders is 6-foot, 325 pounds but can move very quickly. He was an athletic mismatch for most of his competition in college, and plays the same gap penetrating role a player like Oliver does. Saunders would be a very intriguing option for Tampa Bay in the later rounds, if they haven't addressed the position by then.

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind with QBs is that it does not make sense to draft someone who is actually meant to be Rodgers heir apparent (which Lock would be) until at least 2 offseasons from now. Look at the contract. Rodgers is our QB for at least 3 more years before you could reasonably move on without taking too much of a hit. But chances are he plays out that contract with us. 

To take another QB in the first round would be to waste a first round pick on a player you don’t want to play for 4 years, and if you exercise his 5th year option, that is a huge price to pay for someone that you don’t really know is good at that point. 

It just does not make sense until 2021 at the earliest. It’s not going to happen the same way it did with Favre and Rodgers. 

If Gute takes a backup QB before round 4 this year, I’ll probably lose a lot of confidence in him. Lock potentially falling to the 30th pick is only a big fall because teams reach for QB every year, not because he’s worth a high first and not a sign that we should pounce. 

NFC North "Ideal" top draft picks according to NFL . Com

CHICAGO BEARS
» Round 3: No. 87 overall -- Ben Banogu, edge, TCU
» Round 4: No. 126 -- Alexander Mattison, RB, Boise State

DETROIT LIONS
» Round 1: No. 8 overall -- Montez Sweat, edge, Mississippi State
» Round 2: No. 43 -- Nasir Adderley, S, Delaware

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
» Round 1: No. 18 overall -- Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama
» Round 2: No. 50 -- Amani Hooker, S, Iowa

GREEN BAY PACKERS
» Round 1: No. 12 overall -- T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
» Round 1: No. 30 (from Saints) -- Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State

Notes:
BALTIMORE RAVENS - » Round 1: No. 22 overall -- Brian Burns, edge, Florida State
BUFFALO BILLS - » Round 1: No. 9 overall -- Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

Why is Johnathan Abram (S) continually paired up with Green Bay?

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

NFC North "Ideal" top draft picks according to NFL . Com

CHICAGO BEARS
» Round 3: No. 87 overall -- Ben Banogu, edge, TCU
» Round 4: No. 126 -- Alexander Mattison, RB, Boise State

DETROIT LIONS
» Round 1: No. 8 overall -- Montez Sweat, edge, Mississippi State
» Round 2: No. 43 -- Nasir Adderley, S, Delaware

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
» Round 1: No. 18 overall -- Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama
» Round 2: No. 50 -- Amani Hooker, S, Iowa

GREEN BAY PACKERS
» Round 1: No. 12 overall -- T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
» Round 1: No. 30 (from Saints) -- Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State

Notes:
BALTIMORE RAVENS - » Round 1: No. 22 overall -- Brian Burns, edge, Florida State
BUFFALO BILLS - » Round 1: No. 9 overall -- Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

Why is Johnathan Abram (S) continually paired up with Green Bay?

because big media guys like McShay are high on him. We have a need at Safety....do the math...

Everybody in the media likes "blow up guys" at safety even if they have considerable weaknesses elsewhere.  I don't think this is surprising, since a large part of the aesthetic appeal of football is that it is kinetic violence.  

But in terms of the three kinds of safeties we use, the kind we need the least is the close to the line of scrimmage kind (since that's what Josh Jones can do).  So they aren't likely to be in the market for a Rapp or an Abram unless I have seriously misevaluated those guys.

Archived