2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

41 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Love him and the lack of discussion is kinda surprising on this sub, which appears to be really knowledgable. 

Bolded stands out. His situational awareness is fantastic and he looks awful fluid. Great sideline/backshoulder guy. Uses his hands very well. Red zone threat. 
Maybe not as elusive or 'quick twitch' as a #1 guy should be but I completely agree with your analysis. Seems to be good at a lot. Plus+ in a few.  
3 cone would be telling if that info was available (if anyone has it I'd be very interested). If he ran it at his pro day I can't find it. Makes it hard to fall in love with him without it. 

Strictly as a Packer, he seems like he would fit damn well next to a guy like Adams. Not sure he's a stretch the field guy per se and likewise not sure he needs to be for us with MVS/EQ here. 

Some of those sideline throws kinda look like Jordy. Not a terrible comp actually. I kept thinking Mike Evans III Jr. but then again I'm an idiot so take that with a grain of saline. 

Just seems like one of those players we who could sneak in high. No question he's gone by our 3rd for me. Could very easily see him going high 2 during that somewhat inevitable receiver run around that 28-40 area. Maybe a trade down/up candidate for me if he's there at 50. Like him a lot but that lack of 3 cone is a little concerning.  

I think the best comp is Eric Decker / Alshon Jeffery.

I don't think fluid is the right phrase to describe his play. For me he looks a little stiff but it doesn't appear to be affecting his play on the field much.

As for his pro day he ran a 4.49 (realistically I think he looks like a consistent 4.5-4.6 guy to me). His vert was surprisingly average at 34" and his broad was average too at 9'10" (which is 118" to help compare to NFL.com measurements). I couldn't find his 3-cone either but the pro day video is available on his NFL.com draft prospect profile. I hand timed it myself on my mobile phone and my first attempt was 7.05s, second attempt was 6.95 so I reckon he's safety within that 7 second mark.

The funny thing is that his pro day results goes against what you see on tape. I suppose in this instance you can throw away the results and rely on the tape as the true indicator of his physical abilities.

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Great points! I don't think any of the EDGE rushers are going to be productive year one, sans Bosa and Allen. I think you are going to have to coach them up big time year one and get some production out of them year two if it takes. Burns and Sweat will be situational guys and may not get on the field ahead of Fackrell in their rookie year. I think we'd better prepart for that if we select either. Just trying to live in reality and not fantasy as it relates to the 'other' top EDGE rushers. 

Oliver would be a guy who would play and win inside year one if we were lucky enough for him to fall. That is a slot for Z. Smith as it stands now on the roster for 3rd down situations. 

I think that every one of the the EDGE guys that would be taken in this draft would split time with Fackrell.  As it stands, Fackrell will see a lot of PT anyway.  Za'Darius is a sometimes interior rusher, and both Smiths will need a breather once in a while.  Last season Fackrell played 866 snaps, Matthews played 761 snaps, Gilbert played 712 snaps, and Perry played 314  (snap numbers are from football outsiders).  Perry only played in 9 games, but Fackrell, Matthews, and Gilbert played in all 16 games.  I would consider those three "starters" even if only two of them actually get the start.  The average of the three is 780 snaps, take a bit off of Fackrell, Smith, and Smith's plate and the remainder of Perry's snaps and we can pretty easily get to 400 reps.  I wouldn't completely write off Gilbert either.  But a high draft pick probably spells the end for Kendall Donnerson and Fadol Brown.  

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Mock ft. White @ 10

Curious if you'd be willing to shed some light on where you have White/Bush vs guys like Roquan maybe Vander Esch and maybe a Reddick from '17

Understand that you yourself aren't saying that he is/isn't a top 10 guy or that ILB is/isn't worth drafting that high. Just that it seems plausible.  

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

As for his pro day he ran a 4.49 (realistically I think he looks like a consistent 4.5-4.6 guy to me). His vert was surprisingly average at 34" and his broad was average too at 9'10" (which is 118" to help compare on NFL.com measurements). I couldn't find his 3-cone either but the pro day video is available on his NFL.com draft prospect profile. I hand timed it myself on my mobile phone and my first attempt was 7.05s, second attempt was 6.95 so I reckon he's safety within that 7 second mark.

The funny thing is that his pro day results goes against what you see on tape. I suppose in this instance you can throw away the results and rely on the tape as the true indicator of his physical abilities.

I haven't looked at WRs at all.  I really like what we have.  What I think this team could absolutely use is a Greg Jennings clone, I'm not sure that exists.  

10 minutes ago, Chili said:

I don't think fluid is the right phrase to describe his play. For me he looks a little stiff but it doesn't appear to be affecting his play on the field much.

As for his pro day he ran a 4.49 (realistically I think he looks like a consistent 4.5-4.6 guy to me). His vert was surprisingly average at 34" and his broad was average too at 9'10" (which is 118" to help compare on NFL.com measurements). I couldn't find his 3-cone either but the pro day video is available on his NFL.com draft prospect profile. I hand timed it myself on my mobile phone and my first attempt was 7.05s, second attempt was 6.95 so I reckon he's safety within that 7 second mark.

I like the Alshon comp. 

Yeah I suppose you're right. Although I wasn't referring to fluid as in his cuts (another reason why his 3-cone seems important) more so fluid as in things just looks kinda natural when he's out there. His hands. His body control especially in the air. He doesn't seem to be playing out of position. He doesn't seem to wow you initially but he's consistently a presence.

Pro day 40 is right where he should be. 34" is really surprising. That seems low for him. He can body guys when he's contested. 
The numbers make me think we already have a guy like that in Geronimo. His play makes me think otherwise. 

If it's by tape. I like him. If your hand times hold up I like him more. 

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I haven't looked at WRs at all.  I really like what we have.  What I think this team could absolutely use is a Greg Jennings clone, I'm not sure that exists.  

Riley Ridley? 

Unless you're thinking more the Skip Bayless/Colin Cowherd strain of comps...

29 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I absolutely agree. I haven't stumbled on a Greg Jennings type as of yet, not sure i'm going to as I got other position groups to research.

^^^^ edit I don't rate any of the Georgia receivers. Ridley is nothing special imo.

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

I absolutely agree. I haven't stumbled on a Greg Jennings type as of yet, not sure i'm going to as I got other position groups to research.

^^^^ edit I don't rate any of the Georgia receivers. Ridley is nothing special imo.

Greg is more Calvin than Riley, you're right.

Just wanted to get a Cowherd joke off.

I have to admit your joke went right over my head as I know nothing about Bayliss and Cowherd. All I know is that they are NFL analysts and l see their names mentioned alot on forums and people poke fun at them presumably because they are not very credible.

I don't know what shows they are on, what they look like or even sound like. I don't even follow them on twitter if they even have a twitter account.

Am I missing out? xD

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

I have to admit your joke went right over my head as I know nothing about Bayliss and Cowherd. All I know is that they are NFL analysts and l see their names mentioned alot on forums and people poke fun at them presumably because they are not very credible.

I don't know what shows they are on, what they look like or even sound like. I don't even follow them on twitter if they even have a twitter account.

Am I missing out? xD

Unless you enjoy throwing up in your mouth, then no, you’re not missing out.

I really like Porter Gustin when healthy. Unfortunately I feel like he's too maxed out and to much of a weight room warrior to count on being consistently healthy. He's built himself up to a place I feel is unsustainable on his frame. He's going to be a beast like 8 games a season for a few years i bet. 

The way the mocks are going, I have gone from accepting that the players I want aren’t going to be there...

...to talking myself into and getting excited about the players who are likely to be there...

...to realizing that THEY aren’t going to be there either...

...to wanting to smack Aaron for suddenly talking about taking one for the team and playing on a legit broken leg through a season’s worth of important losses followed by meaningless wins that cost us mightily in draft order...

...and I am the first to admit it’s very lame of me to complain about that. It’s like being mad at your Grandma for dying and messing up your weekend plans with her funeral. You might feel that way but everyone will know what an *** you are if you say it out loud. 

37 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

...and I am the first to admit it’s very lame of me to complain about that. It’s like being mad at your Grandma for dying and messing up your weekend plans with her funeral. You might feel that way but everyone will know what an *** you are if you say it out loud. 

Actually......nothing personal.....but if you're type person thats gonna get tied up cause the passing of a relative squanders some weekend plans.......
You're probably well on your way to being an *** regardless whether you say it or not.

They'll be another weekend.
Grandma? Nope. Not anymore.

Archived