2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

36 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Bush at 12 is worse than Lock at 30. If Lock is actually there at 30, it MAY be worth considering given what's on the board at that point.

16 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Also, Lonnie Johnson @ 20 overall is weird 

I'd like to know what kind of drugs were available to him when he drew this one up. Johnson's a Day 3 pick...

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'd be fine with Bush at 12. Guy is a playmaker and we need those types, regardless of position. I think there's a real chance he's the guy if Oliver and Sweat are gone. I think 12 should be our "wildcard" pick meaning best playmaker available even if non-premium. EDGE, IDL, ILB, WR, TE and OL should be the positions in play at 12 given the prospects.

Lock at 30 is a waste. 

47 minutes ago, Joe said:

Bush at 12 is worse than Lock at 30. If Lock is actually there at 30, it MAY be worth considering given what's on the board at that point.

Bush at 12 is bad IMO. Like the player - but the reasoning: lack of positional depth - isnt why you burn a 12.  Lock at 30 is absurd.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like for most media folks, the mock before their final mock (which is the one that gets counted) is the one where they just try weird stuff to see what happens.

Or in this case, the chance for DJ to be the first one to do these things so if he's right he's seen as a genius

4 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

GB has used visits as smokescreens and opposition scouting for years and people really latched onto this Lock thing, huh?

Have they?  Looking at last year's list, the Packers brought in Dante Pettis, Vita Vea, Tremaine Edmunds, Kolton Miller, Mike Hughes, Connor Williams, and Derwin James as potential early draft picks.  Vita Vea and Koltn Miller went off the board before the Packers picked.  The Packers traded down and they missed out on James and Edmunds, so you have to figure that if the Packers had clearly higher grades than those two they would have taken them at their original pick.  They didn't have the opportunity to take Dante Pettis or Mike Hughes.  Connor Williams was the only one they had the opportunity to draft and they passed on him.  Don't really see any misdirection there.  I think the earliest pick they visited with was Oren Burks.  I don't think they had a visit with Jaire Alexander or Josh Jackson.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Have they?  Looking at last year's list, the Packers brought in Dante Pettis, Vita Vea, Tremaine Edmunds, Kolton Miller, Mike Hughes, Connor Williams, and Derwin James as potential early draft picks.  Vita Vea and Koltn Miller went off the board before the Packers picked.  The Packers traded down and they missed out on James and Edmunds, so you have to figure that if the Packers had clearly higher grades than those two they would have taken them at their original pick.  They didn't have the opportunity to take Dante Pettis or Mike Hughes.  Connor Williams was the only one they had the opportunity to draft and they passed on him.  Don't really see any misdirection there.  I think the earliest pick they visited with was Oren Burks.  I don't think they had a visit with Jaire Alexander or Josh Jackson.

There was a quote or story I saw a few days ago where Gute always burned visits on QBs and it made Ted made.

Here is the quote: "I remember one year I brought in some quarterbacks who at been at the Combine, and he was so mad at me for doing that."

It makes sense at QB for opposition scouting. You're probably getting more from that than you'd get with your 28th, 29th, and 30th visits.

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

There was a quote or story I saw a few days ago where Gute always burned visits on QBs and it made Ted made.

Here is the quote: "I remember one year I brought in some quarterbacks who at been at the Combine, and he was so mad at me for doing that."

It makes sense at QB for opposition scouting. You're probably getting more from that than you'd get with your 28th, 29th, and 30th visits.

If we're talking about QBs, sure.  But realistically speaking, who in the division is looking at QB?  Chicago has hitched their train to Trubisky and Cousins is locked up in Minnesota for a few years.  Detroit realistically is the only one who might take a QB.  IF the Packers brought in a QB, I think it's meant to create a market with Miami, Washington, and NY Giants (if they pass on a QB at 6).  IF Green Bay doesn't seem interested in a QB (and other teams don't view that Miami is in the market for a QB), teams don't feel the pressure to make a trade at 12 when they could wait until say 14 and do a much smaller swap.  Moving up from 15 to 14 would likely only cost a 4th round pick at most.

40 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd be fine with Bush at 12. Guy is a playmaker and we need those types, regardless of position. I think there's a real chance he's the guy if Oliver and Sweat are gone. I think 12 should be our "wildcard" pick meaning best playmaker available even if non-premium. EDGE, IDL, ILB, WR, TE and OL should be the positions in play at 12 given the prospects.

Lock at 30 is a waste. 

I’d rather have a top tier 2019 draft QB at 30 than Devin freaking Bush at 12. That’s for sure.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

If we're talking about QBs, sure.  But realistically speaking, who in the division is looking at QB?  Chicago has hitched their train to Trubisky and Cousins is locked up in Minnesota for a few years.  Detroit realistically is the only one who might take a QB.  IF the Packers brought in a QB, I think it's meant to create a market with Miami, Washington, and NY Giants (if they pass on a QB at 6).  IF Green Bay doesn't seem interested in a QB (and other teams don't view that Miami is in the market for a QB), teams don't feel the pressure to make a trade at 12 when they could wait until say 14 and do a much smaller swap.  Moving up from 15 to 14 would likely only cost a 4th round pick at most.

This could also be a part of it

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

This could also be a part of it

I'm just not sure what you're going to get out of a draft visit from Lock that you couldn't get at a Pro Day or Combine visit.  IIRC, you get an unlimited number of Pro Day visits, but a limited number of pre-draft and Combine visits.  The pre-draft visits are more extensive than the Combine visits, so you're going to use that on guy with medical or character concerns.

Here are the negatives on Lock as per nfl.com

• Frustrating inconsistencies with accuracy and touch
  • Fires fastballs on easy, short throws when changeup is needed
  • Arm thrower with truncated follow-through
  • Leaves ball behind his targets on crossers and slants
  • Drops arm slot, leading to batted passes
  • Requires more disciplined footwork from the pocket
  • Production falls off a cliff when forced to move his feet
  • Inconsistent squaring to throw when on the move
  • Poise and decision-making appear tied to level of pressure he sees
  • Drifts back and away from the rush and forces himself into low-percentage throws
  • Lamb-killer with just 14 TDs and 7 INTS against SEC opponents in 2018
  • Confused and unsteady against Alabama and Georgia with multiple turnovers

Hell...to the no!

Also, anyone else notice Jachai Polite tumbling down the boards? CBS has him at 104 and Drafttek has him at 82...

Archived