2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Just now, rcon14 said:

What do you mean?

Well size/weight-wise....its a push. RAS scores - I couldnt tell you. But from reading HB's breakdowns on TDN....they sound like the same guy we've already got: EQ

Both are big guys that take time to get up to top speed. Route running is more linear than quick cuts. Hands? I dont know. Have never seen HB in action, but apparently its an area he could (and will) get better at......and EQ's shown okay ability to snag the ball. Both are contested catches WRs in so much as they're not leaving CBs in the dust unless they're heading downfield......

Just your general breakdown of their skill sets......

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Well size/weight-wise....its a push. RAS scores - I couldnt tell you. But from reading HB's breakdowns on TDN....they sound like the same guy we've already got: EQ

Both are big guys that take time to get up to top speed. Route running is more linear than quick cuts. Hands? I dont know. Have never seen HB in action, but apparently its an area he could (and will) get better at......and EQ's shown okay ability to snag the ball. Both are contested catches WRs in so much as they're not leaving CBs in the dust unless they're heading downfield......

Just your general breakdown of their skill sets......

I'm not sure I agree that they're physically kind of the same. They're certainly both longer receivers, but EQ seems more properly utilized in a "big slot" role. He's actually very smooth as a runner. I think a place he'd excel is running the type of long crossers that are used a lot in the Shanahan offense out of the slot or the backside on a boot/rollout. With Butler, I think it's more of a pure outside WR. They're built kind of similarly, but they don't play super similar.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah, what was I thinking .. those games don't count.

It's your lack of thinking, not what you're thinking that's the problem.  The point that went over your head was that, when MVS is actually targeted and not ignored, we score points and our offense plays well.  I will bet you 10,000 dollars right now that in those 5 games you're talking about, MVS was open and ignored at least 3 times per game. 

By BOB McGINN

RANKING THE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

TACKLES

1. ANDRE DILLARD, Washington State (6-5, 310, 5.01, 1): Fifth-year senior. “Like him a lot,” said one scout. “He’s quick, uses his hands well. He’s patient. He can bend. He pass blocks, and that’s what people do now. He can do that. Easily.” Started 39 of his 42 games at LT. “Best left tackle prospect in the draft,” said one scout. “Really nice feet. Always has a base under him. Will be a Day 1 starter for somebody that needs one.” Led the tackles in the broad jump (9-10) and short shuttle (4.40). “I’m not a big fan because he’s not strong and he comes from Washington State,” a third scout said. “They’re way behind in technique. They’ve never been in a three-point stance. Somebody that needs a tackle, (bleep), there aren’t any. They’re going to take him in the top 15, probably. But you put on the Senior Bowl, that big ol’ giraffe from Iowa (Anthony Nelson) beat him for a sack. He didn’t have a great Senior Bowl. He’s a year away. But really good kid. He’s not a dog. He’s got really good feet.” Everywhere coach Mike Leach has been, his teams throw the ball and then throw it some more. “He could bust because of the offense he plays in,” said a fourth scout. “He’s a pass protector in college. That’s what he does. Plays in a two-point stance. He’s always kind of on his heels playing backwards. Well, he’s not going to be able to do that in the NFL. He’s got to play forward. He’s got to put his hand on the ground. I worry about guys from those kind of teams. All they do is pass protect 55 times a game. You wonder how it translates.” From Woodinville, Wash.

2. JAWAAN TAYLOR, Florida (6-5, 313, no 40, 1-2): Third-year junior. “I don’t know how he fails,” said one scout. “Even with bad technique I think he’s a good player … he’s a right tackle. You may try him on the left but very few have gone from right to left. Completely different skill set. He’s a dynamic, great talent at right tackle, and your right has to be almost as good as your left. Von (Miller) and Khalil Mack come from there.” Good arm length (35 1/8). “He is so overrated,” said another scout. Started 33 games at RT and two on the left. “He wasn’t even good at Florida,” said a third scout. “They had a reject (Montez Ivey) playing left tackle and he played right. He’s D.J. Humphrey Jr. Nice feet and nice movement but it looks like he’s not interested in playing half the time. He’s not physical. The guy refused to run.” Clubs have no 40 time because Taylor wouldn’t run at the combine or pro day. “He’s a big dude that doesn’t move very well, which is going to be a problem,” a fourth scout said. “He’s top-heavy and doesn’t move his feet. He doesn’t slide well. He doesn’t redirect well. If he grabs you and holds you he can maul you some. But even in the run game he just doesn’t have that surge off the ball and ability to position his body and get on top of people. I’m shocked at where he’s supposed to be going, as a top-10 pick. Wow. The guy’s going to struggle.” Scored 20 on the Wonderlic. From Cocoa, Fla.

3. KALEB McGARY, Washington (6-7, 319, 5.10, 1-2): Fifth-year senior. “He’s Rob Havenstein, the Wisconsin guy,” one scout said. “That’s exactly what he is. Slot him in at right tackle. He’s a second-round pick and plays for eight years. He’s always going to be a one-position guy, but I think he’s really good at that one position. I feel very comfortable what I’m going to get out of him.” Made all 47 of his starts at RT. Vertical jump of 33 ½ inches paced the tackles. “He’s got ability,” said another scout. “I’m scared of the medical. He had a heart thing going on since he’s been in college. He started like the last three years with it so he should be OK. It scares the hell out of me.” McGary underwent three procedures in high school to correct cardiac arrhythmia. His family lost its farm in Washington during the 2012 recession and a fire severely damaged their current home in Fife, Wash., more than a year ago. “He’s like a big (expletive) ogre,” said another scout. “He’s a better athlete than you want to give him credit for.” Wonderlic of 25. “Big, stiff robot guy.” a fourth scout said. “(Max) Scharping moves better and has better balance. I don’t like him.”

4. GREG LITTLE, Mississippi (6-5, 310, 5.30, 2): Third-year junior declared making after 29 starts at LT over three seasons. “Made a mistake by coming out,” one scout said. “Not ready. Really impressive looking former 5-star kid that hasn’t put it all together yet. You wouldn’t feel good about putting him on the field next year and saying he’s your starter. I could see him busting.” His father, Derrick, was drafted in the sixth round by Tampa Bay in 1989 as a LB but never made it. “I liked him over Taylor,” a second scout said. “He tested awful. Didn’t look very good in the drills. A lot of people were disappointed the way he worked out. He’s very light on his feet. He’s not a glass-eater but he plays whistle-to-whistle. Good competitive kid play in, play out.” Long arms (35 ¼), big hands (10 ¼) and a Wonderlic of 20. Weighed almost 350 as a freshman but overcame it. “When his number was called he got down to 320 as a freshman and that year (2016) he played well,” said a third scout. “That’s hard to do in that league. That’s what makes me think this kid has a chance to make it. Will Greg become a perennial Pro Bowler? He’s talented enough. A lot of people see a lot of fail in him. He’ll end up being like Cordy Glenn … a solid left tackle.” From Allen, Texas.

5. TYTUS HOWARD, Alabama State (6-5, 322, 5.05, 2-3): Fifth-year senior. “Maybe the highest ceiling (of all the offensive linemen),” said one scout. “Arguably the best small-school prospect with Nasir Adderley, the safety from Delaware. Can play both tackles, and I could also see him playing guard.” Arrived on campus as a TE. “He’s a good athlete, and has nice feet,” a second scout said. “They played Auburn (Sept. 8), and Auburn had like the third-best D-line in the nation. He just wasn’t very strong. I would certainly draft the guy in the fourth. I’d really like to work with him, but I don’t understand why at Alabama State he’s playing the right tackle and not left tackle.” From Monroeville, La.

6. CHUMA EDOGA, Southern California (6-3 ½, 310, 5.19, 2-4): Fourth-year senior. “He’s got talent,” said one scout. “It’s the makeup stuff. Is he going to be willing to do the things it takes to maximize what his skill set is? He’s got a starter’s skill set.” Flunked a drug test in 2015, ejected for pushing an official in September 2016 and suspended for a game that October for violating team rules. His Nigerian father was murdered in front of him in Africa. Has taken himself out of games at crucial times. “He is 100% a character risk,” said a second scout. “I would never draft that guy. He’s got the second best feet in the draft but he is a (bleep).” Highest Wonderlic of the tackles (34). Long arms (34 ¾). From Atlanta.

7. BOBBY EVANS, Oklahoma (6-4 ½, 310, 5.25, 3): Fourth-year junior. “He’s not bad,” one scout said. “Not a top-flight athlete but he’s long (arms were 34 ¾) and he’s smart (Wonderlic of 22). Knows how to play. He uses his length and initial positioning, but then after that he doesn’t have much movement and redirect and feet. He’ll be a right tackle or a guard. Maybe early third day.” Shifted to LT last year after starting 26 games at RT in 2016-’17. “He can play tackle and he’s got really good feet,” another scout said. “I’d take him in the third round so quick it would make your head spin.” Hails from Allen, Texas. “He can’t play left tackle – no way in hell,” another scout said. “He’s going to have to be a guard. He’s not bad.” 

8. YODNY CAJUSTE, West Virginia (6-5, 309, no 40, 2-3): Played just one year of football in high school because he was so focused on basketball. “He’s got up side,” said one scout. “The question on him will be intelligence. He’s got explosiveness, he’s got pass pro. He can play guard, too. It’s can he do it mentally? We still have questions. He plays in that (spread) scheme and it’s a pain to evaluate.” Blew out his knee in the 2016 opener but returned to start his final two years at left tackle. Fifth-year senior from Miami. “He’s got really good feet but not as strong as you’d like,” another scout said. “I don’t know if he’s a physical enough guy to play guard.” 

9. RYAN BATES, Penn State (6-4 ½, 307, 5.10, 3-4): Fourth-year junior with 34 starts. “He played left tackle and he has a chance to play left tackle in the league,” one scout said. “He’s not a hard worker. His attitude is, if he plays football, fine. If not, that’s fine, too. I gave him a second-day grade because of his athletic ability and he tested well at the combine. Not that he’s a bad kid. It’s just that football is not that important to him.” His 28 reps on the bench matched the position high. Arm length (32 ½) could necessitate a move inside. Asked if Bates might walk away from football, another scout said, “He could. We live in a different environment. He’s not that good, either.” From Warrington, Pa.

10. MITCH HYATT, Clemson (6-5 ½, 305, 5.29, 4): Started 57 games at LT for a team that won two national championships. “Amazing how much football he’s played there and how highly recruited he was and he’s not a very good player in terms of the NFL,” said one scout. “Started as an 18-year-old left tackle and he’s just a guy. He’s not going to come in and knock anyone’s socks off physically or athletically.” Consensus All-America as a senior. “He’s a great kid but just limited as an athlete,” said a second scout. “Doesn’t have great length. Doesn’t have great power or foot quickness. What are you hanging your hat on?” Team captain. From Suwanee, Ga.

OTHERS: Oli Udoh, Elon; David Edwards, Wisconsin; Dennis Daley, South Carolina; Chidi Okeke, Tennessee State; Jackson Barton, Utah; Yosuah Nijman, Virginia Tech; Isaiah Prince, Ohio State; Paul Adams, Missouri; Josh Miles, Morgan State; Trey Pipkins, Sioux Falls; Tyler Roemer, San Diego State; Donnell Greene, Minnesota; Justin Skule, Vanderbilt; Montez Ivey, Florida

GUARDS

1. CODY FORD, Oklahoma (6-3 ½, 330, 5.25, 1): Possibly the most physical blocker in the draft. “That sumbitch is tough and he’s mean,” one scout said. “He bends his knees. He keeps his feet moving. He is technique-sound and disciplined, and coaches love that. I think he could be a good NFL tackle but he’ll probably be a great guard. I want to tell you. He is aggressive.” Fourth-year junior saw his first season as the starting LG (2016) cut short after three games by a broken fibula. Made four starts at LG in ’17 before starting all 14 at RT last season. “He’s not as light on his feet as Dillard but for a big guy he uses his length well,” a second scout said. “I think he can play any position on the line really besides center. Bends pretty well. Competes to the whistle. He’s tough.” According to one scout, the only negative was his penchant for drawing 15-yard penalties. “Big, physical pounder,” said a third scout. “If you’re in a power scheme you’re going to like him, but so many teams are zone blocking. I don’t think he fits every scheme.” From Pineville, La. “He’s not going before Dillard but I’d take him before Dillard,” a fourth scout said. “He’s a mean son of a gun.”

2. CHRIS LINDSTROM, Boston College (6-3 ½, 307, 4.93, 1-2): Generally started at RG in 2015, ’16 and ’18 but spent most of ’17 at RT. “I think he’s a safe pick,” said one scout. “He’ll probably be a 10-plus year starter at guard. He’s strong enough. He’s a pretty complete football player. You’d want to utilize his movement because he’s got it.” Easily the fastest guard in the class, led the position in the broad jump (9-9) and posted 29 on the Wonderlic. “I think he can compete and start if not Year 2 then definitely by Year 3,” another scout said. “His biggest issue will be the power and the anchor. That’s why he’s not playing for you right away. He’s got to develop from that standpoint. But he’s got some quickness, some burst, some flexibility.” His father, Chris, played DE for four teams from 1983-’87. “He tries hard, he really tries hard,” a third scout said. “But he plays high and he’s a catcher. He gets pushed around. Why are people so excited about Lindstrom? No strength. Plays high.” From Dudley, Mass.

3. MAX SCHARPING, Northern Illinois (6-6, 321, no 40, 2-3): Fifth-year senior with 53 starts, including 27 at LT, 18 at RT and eight at RG. “He’s played left tackle but he’s got to be a guard,” one scout said. “He’s a top-heavy big guy. He plays to how smart he is (Wonderlic of 31). You’d think that kind of guy would have a little more aggressiveness. He’s competitive enough but not overly aggressive, which he’s going to have to be to survive. He’ll go second round. He’ll blow people away with the off-the-field stuff. He’s not by any means a top-flight athlete but he’s a better athlete than McGary.” Born and raised in Green Bay, where he graduated from Southwest High School. Will be the first player from one of the four Green Bay public schools to be drafted in 31 years. “Like him,” said another scout. “He’s not elite in his movements or traits but he’s solid and pretty consistent. I think he can play four spots. If you move him to guard I think he’d be effective because he’s got size.” Added a third scout: “From size and athleticism he’s kind of what you’re looking for. From a technique and temperament standpoint, he didn’t quite get there for me. The best thing is the size and athleticism are uncoachable aspects whereas the temperament is more of a decision on his part. If you like the person you go ahead and take him.”

4. DALTON RISNER, Kansas State (6-5, 311, 5.32, 2-3): Fifth-year senior with 34-inch arms. “He can play tackle to get you out of a game but he’ll have some deficiencies there because he’s just a stiffer athlete,” said one scout. “When he’s in tight quarters he’s strong. He’s got length, he’ll play tough, he’s got the right makeup. Highly experienced. He’ll be a good player.” Made 50 starts, including 13 at center in 2015 and 37 at RT the past three years. “I don’t love Risner at any position,” said a second scout. “He’s a hard-working guy, got good size. He plays too tall for a guard, I don’t think he’s a great enough athlete for left tackle and he isn’t stout enough to be a right (tackle). Can he start? Yeah, because there’s worse offensive linemen.” One of five players in K-State history to be a three-time captain. “If you can name me one Kansas State offensive tackle that’s ever played in the league you get the gold star,” said a third scout. “There’s not a good history of them. They’ve have had some interior guys. Cody Whitehair plays (center) for the Bears.” From Wiggins, Colo.

5. DRU SAMIA, Oklahoma (6-4 ½, 306, 5.28, 2-3): Played RG next to Ford. “He’s a barroom brawler – he’s out of control,” one scout said. “You like him in the run game but he’ll scare the hell out of you in the pass game protecting your quarterback. He’ll work it out. You love the competitive nature of the kid.” Fourth-year senior made 10 starts early in his career at RT and then 38 at RG. Made a concerted effort to cut down on personal foul penalties in 2018. “Samia is a tough, upper strength, rasslin’, run-blockin’, old-style guard who isn’t as good as (Josh) Sitton,” another scout said. “Fifth round.” His 38 on the Wonderlic led the guards. “Big, physical pounder,” said a third scout. “If you’re a zone-blocking team and you’re trying to do that on the interior against Aaron Donald, Jurrell Casey, those quick guys, good luck. You’re not ever getting them. How many power-blocking schemes are there? My guess is 10 or less.” From Sacramento, Calif. “Limited athlete,” a fourth scout said. “Just a tough guy.”

6. CONNOR McGOVERN, Penn State (6-5 ½, 310, no 40, 3): Third-year junior. “Old-time guard,” said one scout. “Mauler type. He is not an athlete at all.” Started at center in 2017 and at RG last year. “Strictly a guard,” another scout said. “All the coaches at Penn State loved him. He’s going to play because he wants to and he’s a big, tough, strong kid.” Dedicated weight-lifter from Larksville, Pa. “Love him,” said a third scout. “The more he gets in space the more he struggles, but he’s strong as (bleep). He can run block. It’s not even close between him and Samia (meaning McGovern is much better).”

7. MICHAEL JORDAN, Ohio State (6-6, 313, 5.30, 3-4): Third-year junior from Canton, Mich. “He surprises you movement-wise every once in a while but he’s a major waist-bender,” said one scout. “It’s hard for a guy that tall to bend well. It kind of negates his strength. He’s disappointing. He was the first freshman to start at Ohio State since Orlando Pace (1994) on the offensive line. You expect he’s going to be awesome. Then you see him and he’s big and long, but his film is kind of blah.” Started at guard in 2016-’17, then at center in ’18. “I don’t like him,” said another scout. “He’s just big. He’s top-heavy, soft, not quick. He did play better as a guard last year (2017).” Had the best vertical jump (32 ½) and the longest arms (34 ¼) of the guards. “Not a bad player,” said a third scout. “He’s not a center, though.”

8. MICHAEL DEITER, Wisconsin (6-5, 310, 5.25, 3-4): Fifth-year senior ranks as probably the most versatile blocker on the board. “He’s big, tough, intelligent (Wonderlic of 24),” one scout said. “He can swing to center. Because of that versatility he’s going to start Year 1.” Finished with 24 starts at LG, 16 at center and 14 at LT. “I like him pretty much,” said a second scout. “Functional athlete. He’s not nimble but has some quickness and bend. Nasty. Doesn’t have top anchor but he’ll be a solid starter.” Dropped more than a few notches based on his inauspicious showing at the Senior Bowl. “I thought Deiter was the biggest bomb/bust of the week,” a third scout said. “He played like crap. No strength. Got pushed around. Not physical. I was shocked. Wisconsin guys all work in concert. They’re all kind of the same guy. Sometimes it’s hard to do (evaluate) them because they don’t get isolated much. Good scheme. That was a frightening performance. Guys were just running through him. When you can’t get your hands on guys those 11-inch hands don’t work.” His hands measured 10 ¾ at the combine, largest of the guards. “I think all the Wisconsin offensive linemen stink (in this draft),” said a fourth scout. “Deiter, too. He stinks. He’s got no power.” From Curtice, Ohio.

9. NATE DAVIS, NC-Charlotte (6-3, 315, 5.22, 3-4): Started most of his career at RG before moving to RT in 2018. “He’s built how you want a guard to look,” said one scout. “In this league you’ve got to have *** and mass, and he’s got that in spades. Heavy-handed guy. He’s not 6-4, 6-5 but he plays well. He’s got good length. He has to clean up some things with his stance and his hands and just the angles. But he’s a smart enough guy (Wonderlic of 21). I think that guy’s starting for you by the second year and you’re very happy with him.” Fifth-year senior helped himself at the Senior Bowl. He hurt himself with a four-game suspension at the start of last season for academic reasons. “He played right tackle against Tennessee (Nov. 3) and totally dominated,” said another scout. “He can pull and get to the second level. He’s going to be a great guard because he’s so quick and mobile.” From Ashburn, Va.

10. NATE HERBIG, Stanford (6-3 1/2, 333, 5.42, 4-5): Third-year junior. Loves football, but tends to get overly emotional and it affects his play. “His stuff is more off-field-related,” said one scout. “It’ll be a matter of buy-in on his part. Is he going to do all the things necessary to maximize his ability? That’s the biggest concern. He’s not that exceptional of a talent where you say, ‘I’ll put up with it.’” Started at both guards and played some at RT. “He does have some size and some toughness but he’s a very average athlete,” another scout said. “Not real mobile. Got average feet. I don’t know why the guy came out. Kind of stiff.” Led the guards in the bench press (29 reps) but one scout said he didn’t play strong. From Kalaheo, Hawaii.

OTHERS: Ben Powers, Oklahoma; Phil Haynes, Wake Forest; Beau Benzschawel, Wisconsin; Javon Patterson, Mississippi; Zack Bailey, South Carolina; Hjalte Froholdt, Arkansas; Andre James, UCLA; Bruno Reagan, Vanderbilt; Derwin Gray, Maryland; O’Shea Dugas, Louisiana Tech; Lester Cotton, Alabama; Alex Bars, Notre Dame.

CENTERS

1. GARRETT BRADBURY, North Carolina State (6-3, 305, 4.93, 1-2): Played TE in high school and DT early in Raleigh before moving to guard in 2015 and then to center from 2016-’18. “He’s the prototype starting center in the NFL,” said one scout. “His size and strength issues will always persist. He’s not a midget. He’s actually bigger than Ryan Kalil (6-2 ½, 297, 4.96). I see a similar player, and the guy at Philadelphia, Jason Kelce (6-2 ½, 280, 4.91).” Fifth-year senior with three seasons as the starting center. “He’s quick and smart (Wonderlic of 35) and he competes and he blocks people,” a second scout said. “That’s the profile up here. Those kinds of guys play forever.” His hands (10 ½) were the largest at the position. His bench-press total of 34 was No. 1 as well. “He’s just a technician,” said a third scout. “A very good one.” Has short arms (31 ¾), but his hands (10 ½) were the largest among the centers. From Charlotte, N.C.

2. ERIK McCOY, Texas A&M (6-4, 305, 4.87, 1-2): Two-star recruit from Lufkin, Texas. “Really good football player,” said one scout. “You could almost play him at guard. He’s a good athlete. Quick. He positions. Does all the right things. Stronger than his size. He’s competitive. He works it but he’s not just a kick-your-*** guy.” Fourth-year junior with 36 starts at center and two at guard. Voted Aggies’ MVP on offense last season. “He’ll be your starting center by Year 2,” said another scout. “He’s tough, he’s nasty, he’s a dude.” Wonderlic of 26 and 29 reps on the bench. “Quinnen (Williams, of Alabama) pushed him the first series a couple times but this guy had a great battle with him after that,” a third scout said. “He blocked guys that will be in the NFL. He is strong and he is tough and he continues to put guys on the ground. He’s the best center I’ve seen in years.” 

3. JONAH WILLIAMS, Alabama (6-4 ½, 303, 5.16, 1-2): Led the centers in broad jump (9-4) but, despite scoring 39 on the Wonderlic, finished second to Allegretti’s 42. “Technically sound, very consistent,” one scout said. “Good hand placement. Good lateral quicks. He’s not a gifted prototype at left tackle but he finds a way.” Started all 29 games at LT in 2017-’18 after starting all 15 at RT as a true freshman in ’16. “Could be a good left tackle but his highest ceiling is at center,” another scout said. “His best work is at the second level. That’s why I think he could be an elite center.” From Folsom, Calif. “He may not be the best left tackle but he’s the best offensive lineman,” said a third scout. “He could be a really good guard and potentially a center. He could play left tackle in the NFL. Jake Matthews does that, a guy with (similar) height (6-5 ½) and short-arm limitations.” Matthews, the sixth pick in 2014, has started all five years at LT for Atlanta with 33 3/8 arms. Williams’ were 33 5/8. Others, however, have their doubts that Williams will ever be brawny enough. “He lacks strength,” said one. “He lacks power. He’s got a lower body that cannot generate power.”

4. ELGTON JENKINS, Mississippi State (6-4 ½, 311, 5.10, 2): Fifth-year senior. “He and McCoy are very, very similar,” said one scout. “Really good football player. Good athlete. Balance, hands, feet, FBI (football intelligence). I’d say late first or second.” Started 26 games at center in 2017-’18 after making five starts at LT, two at LG and one at RG in 2015-’16. “He doesn’t have a dominant trait but he’s productive, strong, experienced,” another scout said. Longest arms (34) of the centers. Wonderlic of 19. “I like him but he has a little degree of stiffness,” a third scout said. “He’s never had a quarterback under center. If he’s going to have to step and reach (block) that’s going to be hard.” From Clarksdale, Miss.

5. ROSS PIERSCHBACHER, Alabama (6-3 ½, 307, 5.22, 5-6): Fifth-year senior, four-year starter. “When you’re getting into the seventh round you can take a guy like him who played at a high level and started every game (57) in college,” said one scout. “Durable, smart (Wonderlic of 26), tough. Can play multiple positions, none of them well. But he can do it. Or do you take the talented, inconsistent, maybe not very smart guy with some up side who can excite you but also can kick you in the (bleep)? I don’t like the player but I do think he’ll go in the late rounds just because he started (every) game and can play guard or center, smart as heck, no maintenance. It’s going to be a hard cut with him.” Saban went all the way to Cedar Falls, Iowa to recruit him. His first 42 starts were at guard before the move to center in 2018. Other scouts dismiss him. “If he was not from Alabama he wouldn’t even be talked about,” said one. “He’s overachiever personified. He just works and works and works. He’s got no feet, no balance.” Short arms (32 1/8), too.

OTHERS: Nate Trewyn, UW-Whitewater; Brandon Knight, Indiana; Tyler Jones, North Carolina State; Lamont Gaillard, Georgia; Nick Allegretti, Illinois; Tanner Volson, North Dakota State; Trevon Tate, Memphis.

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I'm not sure I agree that they're physically kind of the same. They're certainly both longer receivers, but EQ seems more properly utilized in a "big slot" role. He's actually very smooth as a runner. I think a place he'd excel is running the type of long crossers that are used a lot in the Shanahan offense out of the slot or the backside on a boot/rollout. With Butler, I think it's more of a pure outside WR. They're built kind of similarly, but they don't play super similar.

Okay. Thats works. Thanks!

I've not watched any HB tape - so no clue - but it sounds like he aggressively goes after the ball (which is real good....) and was physically daunting to the DBs covering him (also very good......).

I certainly dont have anything against adding top offensive talent and have been pushing that for some time. It was that simply based on height/weight stats - they're the same guy except for a half inch and a few pounds - and the read on HB's game had a similar (not exact...but similar) read to EQ - who I have high hopes for. Especially now that he's survived the apparently mandatory "one year in ARs doghouse" period.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay. Thats works. Thanks!

I've not watched any HB tape - so no clue - but it sounds like he aggressively goes after the ball (which is real good....) and was physically daunting to the DBs covering him (also very good......).

I certainly dont have anything against adding top offensive talent and have been pushing that for some time. It was that simply based on height/weight stats - they're the same guy except for a half inch and a few pounds - and the read on HB's game had a similar (not exact...but similar) read to EQ - who I have high hopes for. Especially now that he's survived the apparently mandatory "one year in ARs doghouse" period.

For player comps to make it simple: Hakeem, ideally, is a Mike Evans type. Pure X receiver. EQ is more versatile in terms of his role which makes a comp harder. In the slot, it could kind of be later career Larry Fitzgerald in terms of the role, but also his deep crossing pattern ability is something that a lot of guys will do in more vertically-oriented zone-PA systems. Obviously neither Hakeem nor EQ could be expected to be Mike Evans/Larry, but just to try and give you an idea of what it would look like in terms of role.

McGinn via Packersnews bretheren:

RANKING THE RECEIVERS

WIDE RECEIVERS

1. DK METCALF, Mississippi (6-3 ½, 229, 4.35, 1-2): Third-year sophomore. “I think he is a media creation, a combine creation,” said one scout. “He’s got the physical talent but I’m not buying that.” Couldn’t have impressed more at the combine with a sizzling 40, vertical jump of 40 ½ inches, a broad jump of 11-2 and a WR-leading 27 reps on the bench press. Raiders coach Jon Gruden said Metcalf, whose body fat was 1.6%, resembled Hall of Fame RB Jim Brown when he shouldered through the door of the team’s interview room in Indianapolis. His arm length (34 7/8 inches) led the position, too. “DK’s a freak,” a second scout said. “You line him up at X and he’s taking the lid off coverage. That’s what he’s doing. He’s a slot receiver. Smart kid. Loves football. He’s better than Stephen Hill coming out, more productive than Josh Gordon coming out. But he’s kind of more in their light than Julio (Jones). Julio has better flexibility, hips, routes.” Underwent cervical neck surgery in October and missed the second half of the season. “I think he’ll be OK with it but you never know for sure,” a third scout said. “If you’re taking a guy high that’s a big pill to swallow.” Finished with 67 receptions for 1,228 yards (18.3) and 14 TDs. “I think he’s terrible,” said a fourth scout. “He’s a workout phenom. He can’t catch and he can’t run routes and he doesn’t separate well. Everybody talks about how great he looks but what great receiver is just big? Julio, but Julio wasn’t even that big. The top receivers aren’t these monsters. Odell (Beckham), Antonio Brown. A.J. Green is slender. Being that big doesn’t make you a good wide receiver. In fact, it’s the opposite.” Comes from a family of pro football players in Oxford, Miss. Scored 17 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

2. N’KEAL HARRY, Arizona State (6-2 ½, 226, 4.53, 1-2): Junior from Chandler, Ariz. “He ran a lot better than he played,” one scout said. “He’s got really good hands. He has a chance to be a No. 1 (WR). He’s not one to take the top off, and that’s what all the coaches want. They want a speed guy to run as deep as you can. He goes over the middle and runs slants. He’ll be a good player.” Worked out well at the combine, equaling Metcalf’s 27 reps on the bench. “He’s a good possession receiver,” said another scout. “He’ll be one of those 60 catch a year guys. Not a big red-zone threat. Not a big-time difference-maker. You’re still going to be looking for better.” Finished with 213 receptions for 2,889 (13.6) and 22 TDs. “I compared him to Mike Evans,” a third scout said. “Really a good athlete. Terrific high-school basketball player. He does have a weight problem.” Wonderlic of 24.

3. MARQUISE BROWN, Oklahoma (5-9 ½, 168, no 40, 1-2): Played two years of junior-college ball before playing one season with quarterback Baker Mayfield and one with Kyler Murray. “If there’s a guy that reminds you of DeSean Jackson he is it,” said one scout. “You really worry about the size but he’s got a lot of dynamic ability.” Unable to run a 40 because of a foot injury. “He’s the pure speed here,” said a second scout. “He can absolute fly.” In 27 games for the Sooners he caught 132 passes for 2,413 (18.3) and 17 TDs. Compared by two scouts to Tyreek Hill. “He’s undersized but he can run, catch and track it deep,” a third scout said. “Those are great qualities to have in today’s NFL.” Declared a year early. Wonderlic of 21. “He does his best work outside just stretching the field,” said a fourth scout. “His hands are good; I don’t think they’re great. He catches it well down the field but when he’s in traffic he doesn’t catch it well. He’s not strong with people around him. That’s what worries you about him in the slot with people getting banged around.” From Hollywood, Fla.

4. A.J. BROWN, Mississippi (6-0 ½, 226, 4.51, 1-2): Junior from Starkville, Miss. “Like him,” said one scout. “Physical, strong. He’s not a blazer but he plays big. Strong hands. Good run after the catch.” Played extensively on the left outside after Metcalf was lost for the season and didn’t release effectively against press coverage. “He’s an oversized slot,” a second scout said. “He’ll have some drops but they’re more concentration variety. The routes have to improve as far as separation, but he has shown the ability with his strength and quickness that he can still find ways to get separation at the top of a route. He can push off and use his size. Smart kid (Wonderlic of 18), loves football. They’re all a little bit of a diva at that position. He isn’t excessive.” Finished with 189 receptions for a school-record 2,984 (15.8) and 19 TDs. “He’s kind of that big slot guy like JuJu Smith-Schuster,” a third scout said. “I don’t think he’s JuJu. A lot of people use tight ends in that role like Travis Kelce and Delanie Walker. He’s not going to win just with his speed on the outside as an X and he’s not really a middle-of-the-field guy. He can be a size mismatch against a nickel corner and be a speed mismatch against a safety or linebacker. He’s not a great player. He’ll be a solid, good player.”

5. PARRIS CAMPBELL, Ohio State (6-0, 204, 4.32, 2): High-school track star from Akron, Ohio. “He is electric with the ball in his hands,” one scout said. “He’s really fast, and he plays every bit of that when he’s got the ball. His hands are the least natural of the (top receivers) but he’s worked pretty hard to improve them. High character. Played the same position that Curtis Samuel played and Percy Harvin played for Urban (Meyer) in Florida. Kind of a hybrid receiver-running back. He’s going to need some work with routes to play a conventional wide receiver position but the guy’s a big-time playmaker. Golden Tate is a lot like him.” Finished with 143 receptions for 1,768 (12.4) and 15 TDs. “You’ve seen the run after the catch that you know will easily transfer to the league,” said a second scout. “At least you know he can do that really well. The way the game is played now with all this quick stuff, he fits right in.” Besides a blazing 40 he went 40 inches in the vertical jump and 11-3 in the broad jump. “You talk about a windup speed guy,” said a third scout. “He’s it. Once he gets going he has speed. He isn’t quick. Looks like he’s stiff. I don’t particularly care for the guy.”

6. DEEBO SAMUEL, South Carolina (5-11, 214, 4.44, 2-3): Plagued by injuries during his five years as a Gamecock. Probably the most serious of his injuries was the broken fibula three games into 2017 that ended his year. “He was having a big season,” said one scout. “He was not (fully) back early this season.” Finished with 148 receptions for 2,076 (14.0) and 16 TDs. “He’s a playmaker,” said another scout. “He’s a really good kick returner. Still needs refinement in route running. With the ball in his hands is where he’s going to make his hay. Really a competitive kid.” Projects as a slot and return specialist. “Average route runner,” said a third scout. “The corners in this league are going to swallow him up outside. Has to be (a slot). He should be able to function off rubs and crossers working the middle of the field. He has run after the catch. Built like a little running back. I don’t know if you draft a No. 3 receiver that doesn’t have a dominant trait in the second round.” From Inman, S.C.

7. RILEY RIDLEY, Georgia (6-1, 196, 4.59, 2-3): Calvin, his brother, made the all-rookie team after catching 64 for 821 (12.8) and 10 TDs as the first-round pick (No. 26) of the Falcons a year ago. “The Ridley kids come from a tough life,” one scout said. “They were in a foster home for five years. Good personality. More open than Calvin.” Scored 9 on the Wonderlic. From Coconut Creek, Fla. “He’s the best receiver out of everybody as far as running routes and catching the ball,” a second scout said. “He really knows what he’s doing. He’ll step in right away and help somebody. He’s like his brother but doesn’t have the suddenness in his routes or the speed. He is crafty.” Junior. Finished with 69 catches for 1,015 (14.7) and 13 TDs in a crowded receiving corps. “He’s a little overrated,” said a third scout. “I don’t think he’s his brother. He ran 4.58 and he’s not very smart.”

8. MILES BOYKIN, Notre Dame (6-3 ½, 221, 4.41, 2-3): Fourth-year junior. “One-year production,” one scout said. “That’s the thing that bothers me the most. If you’re really on the kid’s side you could say the quarterback play sucked. It improved some this year but it wasn’t very good in the past. The kid has all the talent. He’s huge, he’s athletic, he’s fast and he’s got really good hands. He needs a little bit of work with routes but he’s got all up side. Super kid. Really smart (Wonderlic of 26). There’s a little bust factor just because he hasn’t done it his whole career. This guy is way better than (Equanimeous St. Brown). More fluid, faster, much better natural ball skills.” After catching 18 balls in 2016-’17 he broke loose to haul in 59 for 872 (14.8) and eight TDs in ’18. “I don’t think he’s much because he can’t get in and out of his breaks,” said another scout. “He’s just too big. He’s tough enough, I guess. He has no special-teams value. More of a power player. He’s a 400-meter guy, not a 60-meter guy. Straight line.” Led all WRs in the vertical jump (43 ½) and broad jump (11-8). Played at Providence Catholic in suburban Chicago.

9. MECOLE HARDMAN, Georgia (5-10, 185, 4.29, 2-3): Possibly the finest kick returner in the draft. “He can go anywhere from the second to the fourth,” one scout said. “He comes in the door as your starting kick and punt returner. He’s got legitimate, take-the-lid-off-coverage speed. On Day 1 this guy is getting to the active (46-man) roster.” Junior from Bowman, Ga. Finished with 60 receptions for 961 (16.0) and 11 TDs. “He’s a sleeper guy that will be a much better player than he was in college,” another scout said. “With his speed and ability to play as a slot … he can even line up and run those vertical routes outside … I see him as a second rounder.”

10. HAKEEM BUTLER, Iowa State (6-5 ½, 227, 4.46, 2-3): Trying to become the Cyclones’ first first-round draft choice since the Oilers took RB George Amundsen with the 14th pick in 1973. “(Expletive), I’d take him over all those guys,” one scout said. “He had a 22-yard average this year. Tough kid. He will extend. He doesn’t get knocked around. He’s got about everything you want from a big wide receiver. He could eventually be a No. 1 wide receiver. That’s a guy you could go to and he’d be reliable.” Fourth-year junior. Had the longest arms (35 ¼) and biggest hands (10 ¾) of any WR in the draft. “What immediately jumped out to me was Plaxico (Burress),” said another scout. “Plays big on the ball. The catch radius is awesome. Just a really quarterback-friendly target. The timed speed was a little surprising. Sometimes those tall long striders don’t look like they’re running but they’re chewing up ground. I think he falls into that category.” Finished with 110 receptions for 2,149 (19.5) and 18 TDs. “I don’t like him at all,” said a third scout. “He’s a big, slow, non-athletic guy that doesn’t have very good field awareness and doesn’t catch the ball well.” Wonderlic of 27. From Baltimore.

11. JJ ARCEGA-WHITESIDE, Stanford (6-2, 224, 4.49, 3): Fourth-year junior improved his receptions, yards and TDs in each of his three seasons. “The easy plusses are ball skills and the ability to high-point the red-zone stuff,” one scout said. “The easy knock will be the speed factor. For a bigger guy he can drop his weight at the top of a route and he’s got some short-area quickness to get open. Alshon Jeffery’s game is just going down the field and going up over people. I think JJ has a little bit more as a route runner than that.” Finished with 135 receptions for 2,219 (16.4) and 28 TDs. “Really strong hands,” another scout said. “Wins all the physical battles. He’s a big X receiver but I wouldn’t call him a possession (receiver).” Paced the leading WRs in the Wonderlic with 29. Didn’t formally bench press at the combine or pro day. “He bench pressed 3,” a third scout said. “How ‘bout that? He never had benched. Because he can’t bench. He’s weak as (bleep). Now he can catch it. Third round.” From Inman, S.C., but he and Deebo Samuel attended different high schools.

12. PRESTON WILLIAMS, Colorado State (6-4, 211, 4.60, 3-6): Ushered out of Tennessee after two seasons (16 receptions) and transferred to Fort Collins, sitting out 2017. Failed drug tests at both schools and was disinvited to the combine for domestic violence arrest involving harassment and tampering. “This kid is really rough around the edges,” said one scout. “I wouldn’t touch him. He’s (bleep) up. My guess is he’ll eventually fail a drug test and will be suspended. He caught 90 some balls last year. This isn’t some stiff guy. This is a good player.” Hauled in 96 passes for 1,345 (14.0) and 14 TDs in 2018. “This guy’s unbelievably talented but he’s selfish,” a second scout said. “He’s got the best body control of any receiver in the draft. His hands are very good. He’s big, athletic and long (arms were 33). He’s going top 100 but he’s going to fail.” Wonderlic of 11. From Hampton, Ga.

OTHERS: Diontae Johnson, Toledo; Terry McLaurin, Ohio State; Andy Isabella, Massachusetts; Kelvin Harmon, North Carolina State; Jalen Hurd, Baylor; Darius Slayton, Auburn; Gary Jennings, West Virginia; Johnnie Dixon, Ohio State; Jamal Custis, Syracuse; Emanuel Hall, Missouri; Anthony Johnson, Buffalo; Dillon Mitchell, Oregon; Jakobi Meyers, North Carolina State.

TIGHT ENDS

1. T.J. HOCKENSON, Iowa (6-4 ½, 251, 4.72, 1): Third-year sophomore from Chariton, Iowa. Played in merely 23 games before declaring two years early. “He’s safe and productive,” said one scout. “It’s that against a gamebreaker.” That option is teammate Noah Fant. “He’s not really special at anything except maybe his toughness,” said a second scout. “But he is a real good blocker and has real good hands. He’s got good speed. He’s as good a blocker as a tight end as you’ve seen come out in the last 10 years.” Finished with 73 receptions for 1,080 yards (14.8) and nine TDs. “He’s got physical development to do but he’s probably the most well-rounded guy,” said a third scout. “He’s not as good as Tyler Eifert was coming out but he might have a much better career because he’ll stay healthy maybe.” Both he and Fant performed well in the off-season. “What you see is what you get,” a fourth scout said. “He runs nice short-to-intermediate routes. He knows how to run routes and how to get separation. He catches the ball well. He tries to block … he’s just not a good enough athlete to take in the first round. He’s 100% right now. He’s a good player. He’s not going to improve.” Wonderlic of 22.

2. NOAH FANT, Iowa (6-4, 249, 4.53, 1-2): Led all TEs in the vertical jump (39 ½), broad jump (10-7) and 3-cone (6.81). “He’s no slouch,” one scout said. “First rounder. Some people have Fant ahead because his movement skills are a click ahead of Hockenson’s. He’s a little bit more of a matchup problem.” Junior from Omaha, Neb. “A lot of people will go for him because he can run and stretch the secondary,” said a second scout. “He’s not a blocker. I thought he was (lazy). Everybody was talking about Fant and then a kid on the same team won the John Mackey Award.” Finished with 78 receptions for 1,082 yards (13.9) and 19 TDs. “Not as well-rounded as his counterpart in Iowa as a blocker,” a third scout said. “Still learning how to get depth on his routes and just being a consistent route runner. He’s got the athleticism and the hands to be a good receiving tight end. He just needs to be a better cover-up blocker … I don’t know if it’s laziness or lack of opportunity at times because of the other guy. Is he unsure? Is he unaware? Or is it lazy? I didn’t just sit there and say he’s just a dog.” Wonderlic of 25.

3. IRV SMITH, Alabama (6-2 ½, 242, 4.64, 2): Junior. “I see quickness, I see twitch, I see suddenness and I see burst out of his routes,” said one scout. “He’s the best pure receiver but he’s just undersized. Not as fast as Fant. He’s in that old Aaron Hernandez role. Not as dynamic as Hernandez but he would be a move guy like that. He’s not big at all. You’ve got to move him. You can’t let him sit there and get on people. He’s competitive if he’s on the back side of stuff but you can’t let him be teeing off on people.” Carved out his niche in Alabama’s WR-dominated offense, finishing with 58 receptions for 838 (14.4) and 10 TDs. Wonderlic of 21. “He is exactly what the NFL uses today,” a second scout said. “When he was used, he was a threat. He’s almost like the big wide receiver guys. Kind of a big slot. Good run blocker. You’re not disappointed in his blocking. If he slides to that early portion of the second round you’d go, ‘Man, we’re getting a first-round talent in the second.’” Irv, his father, was the 20th selection in the 1993 draft. He started 76 of 95 games for the Saints, 49ers and Browns in a solid seven-year career. “I like him over Fant but he’s not very impressive,” a third scout said. “He’s not a fluid athlete. Doesn’t run fluid routes. Not a blocker. He can position but does not sustain. System production. More of a backup talent.” From New Orleans.

4. DREW SAMPLE, Washington (6-4 ½, 255, 4.69, 2-3): Started 30 games in a four-year career. “He was the most complete to me as far as being a ‘Y’ tight end that can actually play in the passing game,” said one scout. “He’ll play for a while in this league. He’s not dynamic enough where you say, ‘OK, he can line up and beat people as a (split) receiver.’ You’re not going to detach him and put him at X like you could do with Gronkowski. Those guys are rare.” Paced the leading TEs on the bench press with 25 reps. “I’m going to say he’s the best blocker,” another scout said in reference to the group this year. “He got after it. He’s aggressive. He’s not a guy you call a blocking tight end. He’s kind of a dual guy. He can catch and block.” Finished with just 25 catches for 252 (10.1) and three TDs. “He’s better than the kid (Will Dissly) that came out of there last year that started for the Seahawks (before being injured),” a third scout said. “You’re talking about an old-fashioned tight end. A guy who blocks, a guy who catches. He is what we used to look for. He’s Zach Miller. Great blocker. They don’t run him on deep routes. Just crossers and flats.” Wonderlic of 33.

5. JACE STERNBERGER, Texas A&M (6-4, 252, 4.72, 2-3): Caught one pass in two seasons for Kansas before transferring to a junior college for a year. “I was told that Jimbo (Fisher) was watching somebody else at Northeastern Oklahoma JC and he said, ‘Who is this tight end? I want this guy,’” said one scout. “I think Texas A&M was the only scholarship offer he got and all of a sudden he became a star. He has a blue-collar mentality.” Fourth-year junior left College Station after one season in which he caught 48 for 832 (17.3) and 10 TDs. “Really good route runner,” a second scout said. “Quick, and he’s got speed. He plays a lot faster than what he timed. He can make plays in the pass game. As a blocker, he gives effort. He’s not strong or built for it. More of that move guy, today’s tight end kind of guy. Smooth, get-in-the-way blocker.” When the Aggies recruited two high-rated TEs Sternberger left. “I don’t think there was a bunch of fight trying to get him to come back,” said a third scout. “I don’t see him as a starter. Not saying he couldn’t be, but he barely played until last year. He had a really good year but there’s a lot of average on the tape.” From Kingfisher, Okla.

6. JOSH OLIVER, San Jose State (6-4 ½, 248, 4.64, 2-3): Led the 1-11 Spartans with 56 receptions in 2018. “In a couple years he will be (good),” said one scout. “He’s had four coordinators and three position coaches. Played with a bad quarterback in a horses— program and horses— facilities with bad nutrition. No training table.” Two-year starter. “He was the focal point of that offense,” said another scout. “Really a high-character guy. He’s all about the game of football. Looks the part. Really good hands catcher. He runs after the catch. He works as a blocker. Hard to get a read on his blocking because they always kick him outside in the slot.” Has largest hands among the tight ends (10 ¾). “More of a practice-squad type guy,” a third scout said. “He’s got a chance to make it, though. More of a linear route runner but I don’t see him separating from the type of matchups he’s going to get on this level. On this level that guy is Mark Barron. I don’t see him separating from that guy.” From Paso Robles, Calif.

7. KAHALE WARRING, San Diego State (6-5, 251, 4.60, 3): Fourth-year junior with 51 receptions for 637 (12.5) and eight TDs. “He can run, he catch and he will block,” said one scout. “He’s got real good hands. Hands catcher. Kind of flying under the radar. He’ll give you good block effort. He’s not devastating (but) you’d have to say in this day and age he’s a good blocker. Not real quick or nifty but he can get open and he’s a big target.” All-conference in water polo as a prep. Played just one year of high-school football in Sonora, Calif. “He’s a weird dude,” another scout said. “He is a hard worker. He’s going to need a lot of structure. He’s going to need a s—load of reps. He’s the type of guy that you will get fired for if you draft him.” Wonderlic of 15. “Star or bust,” a third scout said. “Big, fast and athletic but you’ve got to tell him what to do. He needs a guy playing next to him. The special-teams coach a couple years ago asked him, ‘How many on the kickoff team?’ He said, ‘Thirteen.’ He never had played football before. He’s a water polo guy.” Added a fourth scout: “Listening to the kid interview, all the engines are not firing. But he is super athletic.”

8. DAWSON KNOX, Mississippi (6-4 ½, 251, 4.58. 3-4): Walked on as a QB before shifting to TE. “ He’s right there with Hockenson,” one scout said. “Very similar. Really good blocker. He’s from an affluent area in Nashville, and with a name like Dawson Knox you wouldn’t think he’s got any *** kicker in him. He really does. He works his *** off as a blocker. I put him ahead of Fant because he’s a better blocker and he ran the same 40 and he’s similarly athletic and he’s a much better kid.” Limited to 18 games in three seasons largely due to injury. “He’s better than A&M (Sternberger) but he’s a medical guy,” another scout said. “He’s got a lot of (injuries). Great kid, good player.” Caught just 15 passes for 284 (18.9) last season in an offense with two and possibly three WRs that will get drafted. “He was like the fifth receiver there,” a third scout said. “He’s an H-back. He’s an athlete with good hands. Doesn’t play to his 40 speed but seldom was utilized as a downfield receiver.” Wonderlic of 38 led the TEs. “He left school early because he probably was concerned with durability,” another scout said. “He probably said, ‘You know what? I’ve been hurt a bunch and I finally had a good, healthy year. I need to strike while the iron’s hot.’”

OTHERS: Alize Mack, Notre Dame; Kaden Smith, Stanford; Dax Raymond, Utah State; Foster Moreau, Louisiana State; Caleb Wilson, UCLA; Tommy Sweeney, Boston College; Donald Parham, Stetson; C.J. Conrad, Kentucky; Matt Sokol, Michigan State; Kano Dillon, Oregon.

THE SKINNY

UNSUNG HERO

Andy Isabella, WR, Massachusetts: Broke a raft of records for the Minutemen, finishing with 231 receptions for 3,526 yards (15.3) and 30 touchdowns. Went to the Senior Bowl and turned in an uneven week. Slot receiver all the way at 5-8 ½, 187. Possesses blazing speed (4.31). Does a lot of body-catching, and that turns off personnel people.

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Alize Mack, TE, Notre Dame: His talent matches up favorably with many of the top tight ends. His work ethic, maturity and grasp of the system do not, at least in South Bend. Ran sub-4.7, tested well athletically, isn’t a bad blocker and can be a matchup problem. At this point he’s too inconsistent to be drafted before the fourth round.

PACKERS’ PICK TO REMEMBER

Javon Walker, WR, Florida State: First-round pick (No. 20) in 2002. Turned in one of the greatest single seasons in team annals by catching 89 passes for 1,382 (15.5) and 12 TDs in 2004. He dropped merely two of 148 targets and made the Pro Bowl. Blew out his knee in the ’05 opener at Ford Field and never played for Green Bay again. After a contract dispute, he was traded during the ’06 draft to Denver for a second-round pick. His career ended after two disappointing seasons for both the Broncos and Raiders.

QUOTE TO NOTE

AFC personnel executive: “The production that college receivers have means absolutely nothing to a lot of personnel people. The coverages that you see in college are nothing like they’re going to see here. Everything’s off (coverage). They’re five yards off. So you’re running 9 routes, stop routes and drag routes. That’s it. Really, that’s how they get their production. Up here, you really have to learn how to run routes.”

52 minutes ago, Joe said:

Consider the offense and what was happening around him.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Sternberger will be our pick at 75...

Kiper and McShay are mocking receivers to us because they think that's the only way we're going to win games. Aaron's issues with the offense had nothing to do with the players and everything to do with the scheme. Then you're talking about a defense that's trying to recover from 6 years too many of Dom. IIRC both Brown and Isabella have visited. I prefer Isabella, but he's probably not getting past all of those 2nd round picks New England holds, especially now that Hogan has left. 

I agree with you on MVS. He's going to emerge as a WR2 this year unless he hits some sort of slump. Little less confident in ESB, but if he can function out of the slot... Allison is a utility WR as far as I'm concerned; you stick him somewhere and tell him which route to run and he'll find a way to make Aaron throw him the ball.  I wouldn't say Moore had a good preseason at all. 

I should of added this with my other post, sorry. What makes you prefer Isabella over Brown? besides straight line speed, I think I like brown more at basically everything. Also, I think Brown can throw the team on his back as a #1 option if needed. I also like Brown a lot more at 30-44 than Isabella at those spots. Now Isabella at 75 compared to Brown at 30-44 is a conversation. 

Yea, I like MVS and think he can become a legit #2 or #3 especially with his big play ability. The confidence in ESB to become a star from what we have seen is a little strange. I get the pre-draft hype and athletic ability; he had a few nice catches, I like his blocking downfield, and he seemed able to get open, but we simply didn't see enough to have such lofty expectations in my opinion. I know since we drafted a couple tall guys last draft, now everyone thinks we will never draft a guy under 6'5 but I am not sure I like a big slot as much, compared to maybe a shorter and shiftier type player. I like Allison, and he can be a solid #3 on most teams but I'm not sure he will be on the team after this year and is coming of a season ending injury. 

14 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

I should of added this with my other post, sorry. What makes you prefer Isabella over Brown? besides straight line speed, I think I like brown more at basically everything. Also, I think Brown can throw the team on his back as a #1 option if needed. I also like Brown a lot more at 30-44 than Isabella at those spots. Now Isabella at 75 compared to Brown at 30-44 is a conversation. 

Yea, I like MVS and think he can become a legit #2 or #3 especially with his big play ability. The confidence in ESB to become a star from what we have seen is a little strange. I get the pre-draft hype and athletic ability; he had a few nice catches, I like his blocking downfield, and he seemed able to get open, but we simply didn't see enough to have such lofty expectations in my opinion. I know since we drafted a couple tall guys last draft, now everyone thinks we will never draft a guy under 6'5 but I am not sure I like a big slot as much, compared to maybe a shorter and shiftier type player. I like Allison, and he can be a solid #3 on most teams but I'm not sure he will be on the team after this year and is coming of a season ending injury. 

We're not looking for a WR1 out of Isabella, we have plenty of boundary guys that could become a WR1 if they develop. What we need is that smaller, shiftier player and I think Isabella would be that guy. I don't hate Brown, but Isabella's a far better fit in the slot. He won't make it past New England at either 64 or 73, but if he did, I'd run up to the podium as fast as I could at 75; 44 is way too early for him, definitely agree with you there.

All MVS does is find ways to be productive; sure he had a rough patch towards the end of the season, but who didn't? Seriously... ESB should become a solid WR3 that should earn a second contract. I'd compare Hakeem Butler to him. Both are tall and offer you a lot of physical traits you want, but they're erratically inconsistent, which is why I think Butler slips all the way to the 3rd; although he's more Ramses Barden to me although he shouldn't bust like Barden did depending on which team he goes to.

45 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

McGinn via Packersnews bretheren:

The world of college football left little doubt as to which of the Iowa tight ends was the better player last season.

T.J. Hockenson won the John Mackey and Ozzie Newsome awards as the best tight end in the land in addition to being voted the Hawkeyes’ most valuable player on offense. He was named first team All-Big Ten by the media but, interestingly, not by the coaches in the league.

That honor went to Noah Fant, who secured a third-team berth from the coaches in 2017 whereas Hockenson didn’t even receive honorable mention.

Since pro football began differentiating tight ends from split ends in the late 1950s no college ever has had two tight ends selected in the first round in the same year. In fact, no school has ever had two tight ends drafted in any combination of the first, second or third rounds in one year.

The 21-year-old Hockenson, a redshirt sophomore, is four months older than Fant, a third-year junior. In a week it’s entirely possible both players could end up in the first round.

In the 25 years of the present seven-round format one school has had two tight ends drafted in a season 15 times. Only two teams, Washington and Miami, have done it twice.

Using overall pick number, the highest pair of drafted tight ends ever from one school occurred in 1995 when Mark Bruener, the 27th pick in the first round, and Eric Bjornson, the 110th selection in the fourth round, left the Huskies of Washington for the Steelers and Cowboys.

The next best pairings were Cam Cleeland (40) and Jeremy Brigham (127) out of Washington in 1998 and Zach Ertz (35) and Levine Toilolo (133) from Stanford in 2013.

It was fitting that Iowa would be the team to ring the daily double at the position. Coach Kirk Ferentz has had nine tight ends drafted in his 20 seasons in Iowa City, and that includes excellent players like Dallas Clark and George Kittle.

Enough history. In an average to below draft on offense this April tight end might be the one shining light.

“This is a great group,” an executive in personnel said. “You can probably get a good, solid player in the second round.”

“Bunch of good kids,” said another scout. “There are some tight ends that will go in the third or fourth round that may have gone in the second or third in past years.”

A third personnel man went so far as to guess that 10 members of the class will wind up as starters “in the right situation.”

There’s little doubt that Hockenson and Fant lead the way. In a poll of 14 executives Hockenson garnered eight first-place votes compared to five for Fant and one for Josh Oliver of San Jose State.

Personnel men were asked to rank the tight ends on a 1-to-5 basis, with a first-place vote worth five points, a second-place vote four and so on.

Hockenson edged Fant in points, 62-52, with Irv Smith the only other tight end within hailing distance at 36. Following, in order, were Drew Sample (16), Jace Sternberger (15), Oliver (11), Dawson Knox (eight), Kahale Warring (four), Alize Mack (two), Foster Moreau (two), Kaden Smith (one) and Dax Raymond (one).

“Hockenson isn’t Travis Kelce but he’s probably the second-best tight end I’ve evaluated,” said one scout with more than a decade in the field. “He’s a complete player. There’s nothing for me to say that would be negative on him. You might reach for Hockenson because he’s a talent that’s not in every draft at that position.”

Hockenson was compared by several scouts to a pair of AFC North Division tight ends, Pittsburgh’s Heath Miller and Cincinnati’s Tyler Eifert. Two had divided opinions if Hockenson (6-4 ½, 251, 4.72) was better than Eifert (6-5 ½, 256, 4.67) or not.

“He’s compared to some guys that came out of Notre Dame like Tyler Eifert but a better all-around player,” said one evaluator. “He’s a good blocker. You can attach him to the line of scrimmage. He’s a do-it-all player, he really is.”

Miller (6-5, 255) never ran a 40 after undergoing double hernia surgery three months before the 2005 draft. He went on to start for 11 years and catch 592 passes for 6,569 yards and 45 touchdowns.

“He’s faster than Heath Miller but that’s a good comparison,” said one executive. “He isn’t some dynamic, game-changing guy but you project the up side because he is a sophomore. The hands are good, not great, but you like his whole profile.”

Another scout was far less impressed with the Iowa duo not to mention the class as a whole.

“There’s not a Rob Gronkowski or a dominant player,” he said. “There’s no Zach Ertz. There are guys that can be specialists in roles but you don’t have a complete guy.

“Hockenson has ability but I didn’t see dominant. Dallas Clark (6-3, 255, 4.63) ran fast. This guy runs 4.7. To me, that’s a different athlete. He could be a really good ‘U’ tight end, the move tight end. I just don’t know if he has the power to move the base defensive ends that he’ll line up on in this league.”

Hockenson redshirted as a freshman after his high-school days in Chariton, Iowa, a town of 4,500 an hour south of Des Moines that serves as the central distribution center for Hy-Vee supermarkets. Fant, who’s from Omaha, Neb., caught nine passes in six games as a true freshman before exploding for 11 touchdown catches compared to Hockenson’s three in 2017.

Last year, the ascendancy of Hockenson evened their statistics and led to much less playing time for Fant (6-4, 249, 4.53).

“I like him better than Hockenson because he has life-threatening speed for a tight end,” said one scout. “Not as good a blocker but you could hit big on this Fant guy. He’s fast. He can play receiver. He’s OK as a blocker.”

A frequent comparison for Fant has been Eric Ebron (6-4 ½, 252, 4.58), the 10th pick in 2014 by the Detroit Lions. He was a deep disappointment before gaining a fresh start with the Colts, for whom he caught 13 TD passes last year.

“Fant’s so dynamic in his routes and his ability to be a playmaker,” one personnel director said. “By no means is he a throwaway as a blocker. He gives great effort on his blocking.

“Hockenson is a typical Iowa kid. He’s very competitive. He’s got really good hands. He works in the run game but he’s not overwhelmingly great as a run blocker. He’s an all-around solid guy. Now he’s only a 4.7 guy.”

Two of the 14 executives left Fant off their ballot entirely. One of them referred to Fant as a “coach killer,” a label often applied to Ebron in Detroit.

“Fant is more of a natural athlete than Hockenson with his movements, and he can run, too,” the second scout said. “I just don’t feel like he’s got very good football feel or instincts. He doesn’t have very good hands. He’s not a natural hands catcher. As a blocker he can position, but he’s just not strong. I don’t think he has that true grit to him.

“There’s a huge drop between Hockenson and Fant.”

With the last great draft for wide receivers (2014) becoming a foggy memory scouts are singing a common refrain when it comes to a fifth straight year seemingly devoid of elite talent.

“I think a couple of them probably will go in the first for sure but I don’t know that there’s a consensus guy,” said one evaluator. “There’s no A.J. Green. They’re good, but being that good are two different things.”

The 14 scouts also agreed to rank their six top wide receivers. The fact that six players gained a first-place vote reflects the lack of consensus at the position.

DK Metcalf led with five firsts, A.J. Brown had three, Marquise Brown and N’Keal Harry each picked up two and both Miles Boykin and Parris Campbell had one.

“Heck, no,” replied one scout when asked if he’d take a wide receiver in the top 25 picks. “The ability to not pan out is very high on all these guys. If you’re a team that just has nothing at wide receiver DK Metcalf will look good to you but you’re still going to be drafting someone to be better later. That’s what ends up happening when you reach.”

Metcalf had 45 points followed by Marquise Brown (42), Harry (41), A.J. Brown (35), Campbell (34), Riley Ridley (19), Deebo Samuel (18), Hakeem Butler (14), Boykin (11), Mecole Hardman (11), J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (nine), Kelvin Harmon (six), Terry McLaurin (three), Andy Isabella (two), Diontae Johnson (two), Jalen Hurd (one) and Preston Williams (one).

“This is a (expletive) year for early receivers,” said one evaluator. “It’s just not a good class. I said last year it was a bad receiver draft. This is worse.”

Cheer up, guys. The cavalry is coming a year from now. That is, assuming the ever-increasing number of underclassmen entering the draft surges forward in 2020.

“This year the Chinese year is the year of the pig,” one executive said. “You’ve got defensive linemen that are pigs. Next year, it might be the year of the gazelle or something. Next year, from what I see, will be the year of the receiver. I’ve got 14 guys right now that look like they’ll be top guys.”

His list included Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs of Alabama, Tee Higgins of Clemson, Laviska Shenault of Colorado, Nico Collins and Donovan Peoples-Jones of Michigan, Ceedee Lamb of Oklahoma, Tylan Wallace of Oklahoma State, Collin Johnson of Texas, Jhamon Ausbon and Kendrick Rogers of Texas A&M, KJ Hill of Ohio State, Denzel Mims of Baylor and Tyler Johnson of Minnesota.

RANKING THE RECEIVERS

WIDE RECEIVERS

1. DK METCALF, Mississippi (6-3 ½, 229, 4.35, 1-2): Third-year sophomore. “I think he is a media creation, a combine creation,” said one scout. “He’s got the physical talent but I’m not buying that.” Couldn’t have impressed more at the combine with a sizzling 40, vertical jump of 40 ½ inches, a broad jump of 11-2 and a WR-leading 27 reps on the bench press. Raiders coach Jon Gruden said Metcalf, whose body fat was 1.6%, resembled Hall of Fame RB Jim Brown when he shouldered through the door of the team’s interview room in Indianapolis. His arm length (34 7/8 inches) led the position, too. “DK’s a freak,” a second scout said. “You line him up at X and he’s taking the lid off coverage. That’s what he’s doing. He’s a slot receiver. Smart kid. Loves football. He’s better than Stephen Hill coming out, more productive than Josh Gordon coming out. But he’s kind of more in their light than Julio (Jones). Julio has better flexibility, hips, routes.” Underwent cervical neck surgery in October and missed the second half of the season. “I think he’ll be OK with it but you never know for sure,” a third scout said. “If you’re taking a guy high that’s a big pill to swallow.” Finished with 67 receptions for 1,228 yards (18.3) and 14 TDs. “I think he’s terrible,” said a fourth scout. “He’s a workout phenom. He can’t catch and he can’t run routes and he doesn’t separate well. Everybody talks about how great he looks but what great receiver is just big? Julio, but Julio wasn’t even that big. The top receivers aren’t these monsters. Odell (Beckham), Antonio Brown. A.J. Green is slender. Being that big doesn’t make you a good wide receiver. In fact, it’s the opposite.” Comes from a family of pro football players in Oxford, Miss. Scored 17 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

2. N’KEAL HARRY, Arizona State (6-2 ½, 226, 4.53, 1-2): Junior from Chandler, Ariz. “He ran a lot better than he played,” one scout said. “He’s got really good hands. He has a chance to be a No. 1 (WR). He’s not one to take the top off, and that’s what all the coaches want. They want a speed guy to run as deep as you can. He goes over the middle and runs slants. He’ll be a good player.” Worked out well at the combine, equaling Metcalf’s 27 reps on the bench. “He’s a good possession receiver,” said another scout. “He’ll be one of those 60 catch a year guys. Not a big red-zone threat. Not a big-time difference-maker. You’re still going to be looking for better.” Finished with 213 receptions for 2,889 (13.6) and 22 TDs. “I compared him to Mike Evans,” a third scout said. “Really a good athlete. Terrific high-school basketball player. He does have a weight problem.” Wonderlic of 24.

3. MARQUISE BROWN, Oklahoma (5-9 ½, 168, no 40, 1-2): Played two years of junior-college ball before playing one season with quarterback Baker Mayfield and one with Kyler Murray. “If there’s a guy that reminds you of DeSean Jackson he is it,” said one scout. “You really worry about the size but he’s got a lot of dynamic ability.” Unable to run a 40 because of a foot injury. “He’s the pure speed here,” said a second scout. “He can absolute fly.” In 27 games for the Sooners he caught 132 passes for 2,413 (18.3) and 17 TDs. Compared by two scouts to Tyreek Hill. “He’s undersized but he can run, catch and track it deep,” a third scout said. “Those are great qualities to have in today’s NFL.” Declared a year early. Wonderlic of 21. “He does his best work outside just stretching the field,” said a fourth scout. “His hands are good; I don’t think they’re great. He catches it well down the field but when he’s in traffic he doesn’t catch it well. He’s not strong with people around him. That’s what worries you about him in the slot with people getting banged around.” From Hollywood, Fla.

4. A.J. BROWN, Mississippi (6-0 ½, 226, 4.51, 1-2): Junior from Starkville, Miss. “Like him,” said one scout. “Physical, strong. He’s not a blazer but he plays big. Strong hands. Good run after the catch.” Played extensively on the left outside after Metcalf was lost for the season and didn’t release effectively against press coverage. “He’s an oversized slot,” a second scout said. “He’ll have some drops but they’re more concentration variety. The routes have to improve as far as separation, but he has shown the ability with his strength and quickness that he can still find ways to get separation at the top of a route. He can push off and use his size. Smart kid (Wonderlic of 18), loves football. They’re all a little bit of a diva at that position. He isn’t excessive.” Finished with 189 receptions for a school-record 2,984 (15.8) and 19 TDs. “He’s kind of that big slot guy like JuJu Smith-Schuster,” a third scout said. “I don’t think he’s JuJu. A lot of people use tight ends in that role like Travis Kelce and Delanie Walker. He’s not going to win just with his speed on the outside as an X and he’s not really a middle-of-the-field guy. He can be a size mismatch against a nickel corner and be a speed mismatch against a safety or linebacker. He’s not a great player. He’ll be a solid, good player.”

5. PARRIS CAMPBELL, Ohio State (6-0, 204, 4.32, 2): High-school track star from Akron, Ohio. “He is electric with the ball in his hands,” one scout said. “He’s really fast, and he plays every bit of that when he’s got the ball. His hands are the least natural of the (top receivers) but he’s worked pretty hard to improve them. High character. Played the same position that Curtis Samuel played and Percy Harvin played for Urban (Meyer) in Florida. Kind of a hybrid receiver-running back. He’s going to need some work with routes to play a conventional wide receiver position but the guy’s a big-time playmaker. Golden Tate is a lot like him.” Finished with 143 receptions for 1,768 (12.4) and 15 TDs. “You’ve seen the run after the catch that you know will easily transfer to the league,” said a second scout. “At least you know he can do that really well. The way the game is played now with all this quick stuff, he fits right in.” Besides a blazing 40 he went 40 inches in the vertical jump and 11-3 in the broad jump. “You talk about a windup speed guy,” said a third scout. “He’s it. Once he gets going he has speed. He isn’t quick. Looks like he’s stiff. I don’t particularly care for the guy.”

6. DEEBO SAMUEL, South Carolina (5-11, 214, 4.44, 2-3): Plagued by injuries during his five years as a Gamecock. Probably the most serious of his injuries was the broken fibula three games into 2017 that ended his year. “He was having a big season,” said one scout. “He was not (fully) back early this season.” Finished with 148 receptions for 2,076 (14.0) and 16 TDs. “He’s a playmaker,” said another scout. “He’s a really good kick returner. Still needs refinement in route running. With the ball in his hands is where he’s going to make his hay. Really a competitive kid.” Projects as a slot and return specialist. “Average route runner,” said a third scout. “The corners in this league are going to swallow him up outside. Has to be (a slot). He should be able to function off rubs and crossers working the middle of the field. He has run after the catch. Built like a little running back. I don’t know if you draft a No. 3 receiver that doesn’t have a dominant trait in the second round.” From Inman, S.C.

7. RILEY RIDLEY, Georgia (6-1, 196, 4.59, 2-3): Calvin, his brother, made the all-rookie team after catching 64 for 821 (12.8) and 10 TDs as the first-round pick (No. 26) of the Falcons a year ago. “The Ridley kids come from a tough life,” one scout said. “They were in a foster home for five years. Good personality. More open than Calvin.” Scored 9 on the Wonderlic. From Coconut Creek, Fla. “He’s the best receiver out of everybody as far as running routes and catching the ball,” a second scout said. “He really knows what he’s doing. He’ll step in right away and help somebody. He’s like his brother but doesn’t have the suddenness in his routes or the speed. He is crafty.” Junior. Finished with 69 catches for 1,015 (14.7) and 13 TDs in a crowded receiving corps. “He’s a little overrated,” said a third scout. “I don’t think he’s his brother. He ran 4.58 and he’s not very smart.”

8. MILES BOYKIN, Notre Dame (6-3 ½, 221, 4.41, 2-3): Fourth-year junior. “One-year production,” one scout said. “That’s the thing that bothers me the most. If you’re really on the kid’s side you could say the quarterback play sucked. It improved some this year but it wasn’t very good in the past. The kid has all the talent. He’s huge, he’s athletic, he’s fast and he’s got really good hands. He needs a little bit of work with routes but he’s got all up side. Super kid. Really smart (Wonderlic of 26). There’s a little bust factor just because he hasn’t done it his whole career. This guy is way better than (Equanimeous St. Brown). More fluid, faster, much better natural ball skills.” After catching 18 balls in 2016-’17 he broke loose to haul in 59 for 872 (14.8) and eight TDs in ’18. “I don’t think he’s much because he can’t get in and out of his breaks,” said another scout. “He’s just too big. He’s tough enough, I guess. He has no special-teams value. More of a power player. He’s a 400-meter guy, not a 60-meter guy. Straight line.” Led all WRs in the vertical jump (43 ½) and broad jump (11-8). Played at Providence Catholic in suburban Chicago.

9. MECOLE HARDMAN, Georgia (5-10, 185, 4.29, 2-3): Possibly the finest kick returner in the draft. “He can go anywhere from the second to the fourth,” one scout said. “He comes in the door as your starting kick and punt returner. He’s got legitimate, take-the-lid-off-coverage speed. On Day 1 this guy is getting to the active (46-man) roster.” Junior from Bowman, Ga. Finished with 60 receptions for 961 (16.0) and 11 TDs. “He’s a sleeper guy that will be a much better player than he was in college,” another scout said. “With his speed and ability to play as a slot … he can even line up and run those vertical routes outside … I see him as a second rounder.”

10. HAKEEM BUTLER, Iowa State (6-5 ½, 227, 4.46, 2-3): Trying to become the Cyclones’ first first-round draft choice since the Oilers took RB George Amundsen with the 14th pick in 1973. “(Expletive), I’d take him over all those guys,” one scout said. “He had a 22-yard average this year. Tough kid. He will extend. He doesn’t get knocked around. He’s got about everything you want from a big wide receiver. He could eventually be a No. 1 wide receiver. That’s a guy you could go to and he’d be reliable.” Fourth-year junior. Had the longest arms (35 ¼) and biggest hands (10 ¾) of any WR in the draft. “What immediately jumped out to me was Plaxico (Burress),” said another scout. “Plays big on the ball. The catch radius is awesome. Just a really quarterback-friendly target. The timed speed was a little surprising. Sometimes those tall long striders don’t look like they’re running but they’re chewing up ground. I think he falls into that category.” Finished with 110 receptions for 2,149 (19.5) and 18 TDs. “I don’t like him at all,” said a third scout. “He’s a big, slow, non-athletic guy that doesn’t have very good field awareness and doesn’t catch the ball well.” Wonderlic of 27. From Baltimore.

11. JJ ARCEGA-WHITESIDE, Stanford (6-2, 224, 4.49, 3): Fourth-year junior improved his receptions, yards and TDs in each of his three seasons. “The easy plusses are ball skills and the ability to high-point the red-zone stuff,” one scout said. “The easy knock will be the speed factor. For a bigger guy he can drop his weight at the top of a route and he’s got some short-area quickness to get open. Alshon Jeffery’s game is just going down the field and going up over people. I think JJ has a little bit more as a route runner than that.” Finished with 135 receptions for 2,219 (16.4) and 28 TDs. “Really strong hands,” another scout said. “Wins all the physical battles. He’s a big X receiver but I wouldn’t call him a possession (receiver).” Paced the leading WRs in the Wonderlic with 29. Didn’t formally bench press at the combine or pro day. “He bench pressed 3,” a third scout said. “How ‘bout that? He never had benched. Because he can’t bench. He’s weak as (bleep). Now he can catch it. Third round.” From Inman, S.C., but he and Deebo Samuel attended different high schools.

12. PRESTON WILLIAMS, Colorado State (6-4, 211, 4.60, 3-6): Ushered out of Tennessee after two seasons (16 receptions) and transferred to Fort Collins, sitting out 2017. Failed drug tests at both schools and was disinvited to the combine for domestic violence arrest involving harassment and tampering. “This kid is really rough around the edges,” said one scout. “I wouldn’t touch him. He’s (bleep) up. My guess is he’ll eventually fail a drug test and will be suspended. He caught 90 some balls last year. This isn’t some stiff guy. This is a good player.” Hauled in 96 passes for 1,345 (14.0) and 14 TDs in 2018. “This guy’s unbelievably talented but he’s selfish,” a second scout said. “He’s got the best body control of any receiver in the draft. His hands are very good. He’s big, athletic and long (arms were 33). He’s going top 100 but he’s going to fail.” Wonderlic of 11. From Hampton, Ga.

OTHERS: Diontae Johnson, Toledo; Terry McLaurin, Ohio State; Andy Isabella, Massachusetts; Kelvin Harmon, North Carolina State; Jalen Hurd, Baylor; Darius Slayton, Auburn; Gary Jennings, West Virginia; Johnnie Dixon, Ohio State; Jamal Custis, Syracuse; Emanuel Hall, Missouri; Anthony Johnson, Buffalo; Dillon Mitchell, Oregon; Jakobi Meyers, North Carolina State.

TIGHT ENDS

1. T.J. HOCKENSON, Iowa (6-4 ½, 251, 4.72, 1): Third-year sophomore from Chariton, Iowa. Played in merely 23 games before declaring two years early. “He’s safe and productive,” said one scout. “It’s that against a gamebreaker.” That option is teammate Noah Fant. “He’s not really special at anything except maybe his toughness,” said a second scout. “But he is a real good blocker and has real good hands. He’s got good speed. He’s as good a blocker as a tight end as you’ve seen come out in the last 10 years.” Finished with 73 receptions for 1,080 yards (14.8) and nine TDs. “He’s got physical development to do but he’s probably the most well-rounded guy,” said a third scout. “He’s not as good as Tyler Eifert was coming out but he might have a much better career because he’ll stay healthy maybe.” Both he and Fant performed well in the off-season. “What you see is what you get,” a fourth scout said. “He runs nice short-to-intermediate routes. He knows how to run routes and how to get separation. He catches the ball well. He tries to block … he’s just not a good enough athlete to take in the first round. He’s 100% right now. He’s a good player. He’s not going to improve.” Wonderlic of 22.

2. NOAH FANT, Iowa (6-4, 249, 4.53, 1-2): Led all TEs in the vertical jump (39 ½), broad jump (10-7) and 3-cone (6.81). “He’s no slouch,” one scout said. “First rounder. Some people have Fant ahead because his movement skills are a click ahead of Hockenson’s. He’s a little bit more of a matchup problem.” Junior from Omaha, Neb. “A lot of people will go for him because he can run and stretch the secondary,” said a second scout. “He’s not a blocker. I thought he was (lazy). Everybody was talking about Fant and then a kid on the same team won the John Mackey Award.” Finished with 78 receptions for 1,082 yards (13.9) and 19 TDs. “Not as well-rounded as his counterpart in Iowa as a blocker,” a third scout said. “Still learning how to get depth on his routes and just being a consistent route runner. He’s got the athleticism and the hands to be a good receiving tight end. He just needs to be a better cover-up blocker … I don’t know if it’s laziness or lack of opportunity at times because of the other guy. Is he unsure? Is he unaware? Or is it lazy? I didn’t just sit there and say he’s just a dog.” Wonderlic of 25.

3. IRV SMITH, Alabama (6-2 ½, 242, 4.64, 2): Junior. “I see quickness, I see twitch, I see suddenness and I see burst out of his routes,” said one scout. “He’s the best pure receiver but he’s just undersized. Not as fast as Fant. He’s in that old Aaron Hernandez role. Not as dynamic as Hernandez but he would be a move guy like that. He’s not big at all. You’ve got to move him. You can’t let him sit there and get on people. He’s competitive if he’s on the back side of stuff but you can’t let him be teeing off on people.” Carved out his niche in Alabama’s WR-dominated offense, finishing with 58 receptions for 838 (14.4) and 10 TDs. Wonderlic of 21. “He is exactly what the NFL uses today,” a second scout said. “When he was used, he was a threat. He’s almost like the big wide receiver guys. Kind of a big slot. Good run blocker. You’re not disappointed in his blocking. If he slides to that early portion of the second round you’d go, ‘Man, we’re getting a first-round talent in the second.’” Irv, his father, was the 20th selection in the 1993 draft. He started 76 of 95 games for the Saints, 49ers and Browns in a solid seven-year career. “I like him over Fant but he’s not very impressive,” a third scout said. “He’s not a fluid athlete. Doesn’t run fluid routes. Not a blocker. He can position but does not sustain. System production. More of a backup talent.” From New Orleans.

4. DREW SAMPLE, Washington (6-4 ½, 255, 4.69, 2-3): Started 30 games in a four-year career. “He was the most complete to me as far as being a ‘Y’ tight end that can actually play in the passing game,” said one scout. “He’ll play for a while in this league. He’s not dynamic enough where you say, ‘OK, he can line up and beat people as a (split) receiver.’ You’re not going to detach him and put him at X like you could do with Gronkowski. Those guys are rare.” Paced the leading TEs on the bench press with 25 reps. “I’m going to say he’s the best blocker,” another scout said in reference to the group this year. “He got after it. He’s aggressive. He’s not a guy you call a blocking tight end. He’s kind of a dual guy. He can catch and block.” Finished with just 25 catches for 252 (10.1) and three TDs. “He’s better than the kid (Will Dissly) that came out of there last year that started for the Seahawks (before being injured),” a third scout said. “You’re talking about an old-fashioned tight end. A guy who blocks, a guy who catches. He is what we used to look for. He’s Zach Miller. Great blocker. They don’t run him on deep routes. Just crossers and flats.” Wonderlic of 33.

5. JACE STERNBERGER, Texas A&M (6-4, 252, 4.72, 2-3): Caught one pass in two seasons for Kansas before transferring to a junior college for a year. “I was told that Jimbo (Fisher) was watching somebody else at Northeastern Oklahoma JC and he said, ‘Who is this tight end? I want this guy,’” said one scout. “I think Texas A&M was the only scholarship offer he got and all of a sudden he became a star. He has a blue-collar mentality.” Fourth-year junior left College Station after one season in which he caught 48 for 832 (17.3) and 10 TDs. “Really good route runner,” a second scout said. “Quick, and he’s got speed. He plays a lot faster than what he timed. He can make plays in the pass game. As a blocker, he gives effort. He’s not strong or built for it. More of that move guy, today’s tight end kind of guy. Smooth, get-in-the-way blocker.” When the Aggies recruited two high-rated TEs Sternberger left. “I don’t think there was a bunch of fight trying to get him to come back,” said a third scout. “I don’t see him as a starter. Not saying he couldn’t be, but he barely played until last year. He had a really good year but there’s a lot of average on the tape.” From Kingfisher, Okla.

6. JOSH OLIVER, San Jose State (6-4 ½, 248, 4.64, 2-3): Led the 1-11 Spartans with 56 receptions in 2018. “In a couple years he will be (good),” said one scout. “He’s had four coordinators and three position coaches. Played with a bad quarterback in a horses— program and horses— facilities with bad nutrition. No training table.” Two-year starter. “He was the focal point of that offense,” said another scout. “Really a high-character guy. He’s all about the game of football. Looks the part. Really good hands catcher. He runs after the catch. He works as a blocker. Hard to get a read on his blocking because they always kick him outside in the slot.” Has largest hands among the tight ends (10 ¾). “More of a practice-squad type guy,” a third scout said. “He’s got a chance to make it, though. More of a linear route runner but I don’t see him separating from the type of matchups he’s going to get on this level. On this level that guy is Mark Barron. I don’t see him separating from that guy.” From Paso Robles, Calif.

7. KAHALE WARRING, San Diego State (6-5, 251, 4.60, 3): Fourth-year junior with 51 receptions for 637 (12.5) and eight TDs. “He can run, he catch and he will block,” said one scout. “He’s got real good hands. Hands catcher. Kind of flying under the radar. He’ll give you good block effort. He’s not devastating (but) you’d have to say in this day and age he’s a good blocker. Not real quick or nifty but he can get open and he’s a big target.” All-conference in water polo as a prep. Played just one year of high-school football in Sonora, Calif. “He’s a weird dude,” another scout said. “He is a hard worker. He’s going to need a lot of structure. He’s going to need a s—load of reps. He’s the type of guy that you will get fired for if you draft him.” Wonderlic of 15. “Star or bust,” a third scout said. “Big, fast and athletic but you’ve got to tell him what to do. He needs a guy playing next to him. The special-teams coach a couple years ago asked him, ‘How many on the kickoff team?’ He said, ‘Thirteen.’ He never had played football before. He’s a water polo guy.” Added a fourth scout: “Listening to the kid interview, all the engines are not firing. But he is super athletic.”

8. DAWSON KNOX, Mississippi (6-4 ½, 251, 4.58. 3-4): Walked on as a QB before shifting to TE. “ He’s right there with Hockenson,” one scout said. “Very similar. Really good blocker. He’s from an affluent area in Nashville, and with a name like Dawson Knox you wouldn’t think he’s got any *** kicker in him. He really does. He works his *** off as a blocker. I put him ahead of Fant because he’s a better blocker and he ran the same 40 and he’s similarly athletic and he’s a much better kid.” Limited to 18 games in three seasons largely due to injury. “He’s better than A&M (Sternberger) but he’s a medical guy,” another scout said. “He’s got a lot of (injuries). Great kid, good player.” Caught just 15 passes for 284 (18.9) last season in an offense with two and possibly three WRs that will get drafted. “He was like the fifth receiver there,” a third scout said. “He’s an H-back. He’s an athlete with good hands. Doesn’t play to his 40 speed but seldom was utilized as a downfield receiver.” Wonderlic of 38 led the TEs. “He left school early because he probably was concerned with durability,” another scout said. “He probably said, ‘You know what? I’ve been hurt a bunch and I finally had a good, healthy year. I need to strike while the iron’s hot.’”

OTHERS: Alize Mack, Notre Dame; Kaden Smith, Stanford; Dax Raymond, Utah State; Foster Moreau, Louisiana State; Caleb Wilson, UCLA; Tommy Sweeney, Boston College; Donald Parham, Stetson; C.J. Conrad, Kentucky; Matt Sokol, Michigan State; Kano Dillon, Oregon.

THE SKINNY

UNSUNG HERO

Andy Isabella, WR, Massachusetts: Broke a raft of records for the Minutemen, finishing with 231 receptions for 3,526 yards (15.3) and 30 touchdowns. Went to the Senior Bowl and turned in an uneven week. Slot receiver all the way at 5-8 ½, 187. Possesses blazing speed (4.31). Does a lot of body-catching, and that turns off personnel people.

SCOUTS’ NIGHTMARE

Alize Mack, TE, Notre Dame: His talent matches up favorably with many of the top tight ends. His work ethic, maturity and grasp of the system do not, at least in South Bend. Ran sub-4.7, tested well athletically, isn’t a bad blocker and can be a matchup problem. At this point he’s too inconsistent to be drafted before the fourth round.

PACKERS’ PICK TO REMEMBER

Javon Walker, WR, Florida State: First-round pick (No. 20) in 2002. Turned in one of the greatest single seasons in team annals by catching 89 passes for 1,382 (15.5) and 12 TDs in 2004. He dropped merely two of 148 targets and made the Pro Bowl. Blew out his knee in the ’05 opener at Ford Field and never played for Green Bay again. After a contract dispute, he was traded during the ’06 draft to Denver for a second-round pick. His career ended after two disappointing seasons for both the Broncos and Raiders.

QUOTE TO NOTE

AFC personnel executive: “The production that college receivers have means absolutely nothing to a lot of personnel people. The coverages that you see in college are nothing like they’re going to see here. Everything’s off (coverage). They’re five yards off. So you’re running 9 routes, stop routes and drag routes. That’s it. Really, that’s how they get their production. Up here, you really have to learn how to run routes.”

I think Hakeem Butler at 10 is just laughable. 

Archived