2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think RT will be on Gute's mind quite a bit on draft day .. someone is going to have to block Khalil Mack for years to come.  

Is a starting OT as much of a need as we think? Is Bulaga worth a 3rd contract?  Ideally Bulaga's body is better this year than last year after a full offseason of NOT recovering from ACL surgery and he sticks at RT for a 3rd contract, right?

Are any of the OTs this year likely to be a better RT than Bulaga over the next 4 years? He did JUST turn 30 (albeit his body has had more than its fair share of damage already).

Just not sure I love the idea of investing a 1st in a guy who probably doesn't have that great of a chance of being better than a guy we already have. 

(Plus Spriggs)

I know it's a premium position, but when I'm looking at roster building and I have Bakh, Bulaga and Spriggs already (and ability to extend the better value of Bulaga/Spriggs in-season) I think I'm looking elsewhere on day one for sure, and likely day two. Hard to justify that value unless a major talent slips, but that seems unlikely in the 'top-weak' OT class where guys will be overdrafted, not under.

At 12 and 30 I'm targeting positions that are lean in the mids. 

It's like every single year here people hype up and anticipate one of these positions (ILB, TE, IOL, WR) and every single year the Packers pass, so I'm not really worried.

Last year the Packers passed on Edmunds, they passed on LVE twice. 
Year before that they passed on Njoku, deciding instead to trade down.
Year before that they passed on Hunter Henry and Myles Jack.
Year before that they passed on McKinney and Stephone Anthony.
Two years before that they passed on Hopkins, Patterson and Fredrick. 

And on and on and on.  Most of those years it really wasn't Thompson pulling the final trigger, so I'm just really not worried about it. 

All except for one year (Datone Jones), passing on the less important position was the right decision, too.  Alexander has more value and upside than Edmunds or LVE, King if he could stay healthy is more valuable than Njoku, Clark is wildly more important than Henry or Jack, and Randall at safety or CB had more value than McKinney or Anthony. 

I really can't blame us for going Datone Jones over those other guys.  If Datone Jones had hit, the value there would have been tremendous. 

So with all that evidence of us going premium over non, I have to think that's an institutional directive rather than a GM thing. 

TDN:

Green Bay Packers :: So let's recap the Packers' offseason -- they've signed Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith to boost the pass rush, they've added Adrian Amos to the secondary and incurred minimal losses across the roster. Oh, yeah. And they have two first round picks because the Saints desperately wanted Marcus Davenport last year.

Honestly, looking at the Packers' roster and if everyone plays to potential, there are minimal holes on this roster. I'd still like to see some more talent added to the wide receiver group, but the Packers' pressing needs lie at Safety (Josh Jones is more ideal in a nickel LB role), Tight End (Jimmy Graham ain't getting any younger) and ILB (they lost Jake Ryan in free agency). More depth at offensive tackle? Sure. But the fire there isn't going to burn down the house.

The Packers, much to their fortune, have needs where this draft has talent -- except at linebacker. If Devin Bush or Devin White were to somehow slide to 12? Sprint to the podium. If not, how about T.J. Hockenson? They should have good safety options at both 30 and 44 (Maryland's Darnell Savage, perhaps?) so stay true to the board early. That could even include an elite defensive line prospect like Ed Oliver, the extra picks in the top-45 afford the Packers the luxury of grabbing elite talent if it's on the board.

I keep going through the WR position in my mind because I think there is going to be a little bit of a change in what is going to work in this new offense. Do not get me wrong- I think the truly great ones like I believe Adams has developed into will work in any scheme....but....moving forward......

One guy I truly like is Butler because of that wide catch radius and athleticism. But, I think what really becomes obvious as a need in the new offense is for a WR to come out of a bunch formation and absolutely blow by whoever ends up covering him with the second move out of the bunch formation. I think MVS is going to be really good at this and probably J'Mon Moore will flourish in this offense. Allison with his lack of speed is a concern, but he has gotten more refined in route running and might be able to make that second move out of the bunch work. EQSB will be interesting, I am not sure but hopeful. But will a guy like Butler? I dunno. He does not show that great break into a route IMO.  That all said you still need those guys on the perimeter and I think Butler is going to be a monster there.

Listened to Sirius XM yesterday afternoon.  Pat Kirwan was talking about DL.  Namely Wilkens/Oliver.  He likes Wilkens as much, if not more, than Oliver.  More scheme diverse.  Kirwan really sung the praises for Wilkens, citing his excellent character and how he would be a great locker room leader after a year or two.  He said he wouldn't be surprised if Wilkens went top 10.

Also said that the DL class is pretty good at the top, but gets thin fast.  So if you want one, take him early because there isn't much there in later rounds.

Just found that interesting, coming from a guy who really, really knows his stuff.

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

TDN:

Green Bay Packers :: So let's recap the Packers' offseason -- they've signed Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith to boost the pass rush, they've added Adrian Amos to the secondary and incurred minimal losses across the roster. Oh, yeah. And they have two first round picks because the Saints desperately wanted Marcus Davenport last year.

Honestly, looking at the Packers' roster and if everyone plays to potential, there are minimal holes on this roster. I'd still like to see some more talent added to the wide receiver group, but the Packers' pressing needs lie at Safety (Josh Jones is more ideal in a nickel LB role), Tight End (Jimmy Graham ain't getting any younger) and ILB (they lost Jake Ryan in free agency). More depth at offensive tackle? Sure. But the fire there isn't going to burn down the house.

The Packers, much to their fortune, have needs where this draft has talent -- except at linebacker. If Devin Bush or Devin White were to somehow slide to 12? Sprint to the podium. If not, how about T.J. Hockenson? They should have good safety options at both 30 and 44 (Maryland's Darnell Savage, perhaps?) so stay true to the board early. That could even include an elite defensive line prospect like Ed Oliver, the extra picks in the top-45 afford the Packers the luxury of grabbing elite talent if it's on the board.

Slide to 12?? How many MLBs do they think are going to go in the top 10?

Especially in the case of Bush, I would have phrased this as " if the Packers feel the need to reach at 12".

55 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's like every single year here people hype up and anticipate one of these positions (ILB, TE, IOL, WR) and every single year the Packers pass, so I'm not really worried.

Last year the Packers passed on Edmunds, they passed on LVE twice. 
Year before that they passed on Njoku, deciding instead to trade down.
Year before that they passed on Hunter Henry and Myles Jack.
Year before that they passed on McKinney and Stephone Anthony.
Two years before that they passed on Hopkins, Patterson and Fredrick. 

And on and on and on.  Most of those years it really wasn't Thompson pulling the final trigger, so I'm just really not worried about it. 

All except for one year (Datone Jones), passing on the less important position was the right decision, too.  Alexander has more value and upside than Edmunds or LVE, King if he could stay healthy is more valuable than Njoku, Clark is wildly more important than Henry or Jack, and Randall at safety or CB had more value than McKinney or Anthony. 

I really can't blame us for going Datone Jones over those other guys.  If Datone Jones had hit, the value there would have been tremendous. 

So with all that evidence of us going premium over non, I have to think that's an institutional directive rather than a GM thing. 

At 12 I totally agree with you, that pick will be an EDGE, DL or OT.

We've never gone into a draft with 2 firsts. 30 is a bonus pick, take the BPA regardless if the position is premium or not. If LaFleur wants a TE or WR he feels can make his offense better, get him.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

At 12 I totally agree with you, that pick will be an EDGE, DL or OT.

We've never gone into a draft with 2 firsts. 30 is a bonus pick, take the BPA regardless if the position is premium or not. If LaFleur wants a TE or WR he feels can make his offense better, get him.

Yep, I agree completely.  I've called 30th a bonus pick since the moment the Saints got knocked out of the playoffs.  I see it as a free pick, so I'm expecting Fant/IOL/ILB/WR there, and I'm okay with it. 

Can you guys explain to me how you guys evaluate talent?

Do you find film and watch 1,2,3, or 5 games worth of it?

Do you bump a player down if he has a bunch of other great players around him? (Clemson/ Alabama etc.)

Do you factor in stats?

Does combine matter to you?  Why or why not? If a corner doesn't run a sub 4.6 do you take them off your board completely?

Do you look for certain type of players only? This player may be a 2nd round talent, but in our system would struggle so only be worth a 4th etc.

How does injuries factor in to your assessment ? 

Do you reach on players? For example - You might have a late first round grade on a player, but you think they'll be gone in the early teens and no one player's value is even close. does this circumstance justify you reaching?

Does a certain school get a pass or do you at each prospect individually? Penn State & Bama are known for good LBs. WRs from Clemson are money. Or Bama Olinemen are Bust. 

How big is character?

Any and all other factors I may be missing please throw em in!!!

Archived