2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

16 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

I disagree with this sentiment. Lack of reps doesnt equate inability. Dillard is a 4 of 5 guy to me. I think he has the most important responsibility down, pro. Projecting, I think his hand placement and his footwork will serve him well in the zone run game. When he gets out on screens hes looking for work and can move those second level guys with a swing. His drive skills in power are a huge question mark, but the pad level he plays with gives me hope theres enough there to work with. Theres not enough evidence pro or con for me there. I'd be thrilled with Dillard if Oliver and Burns aren't there. 

Things might be different with the new coaching group, but Dillard's lack of anchor would have been a problem with the old group. If you can't get punched in the chest and hold up a bit, you didn't belong on the OL who was being taught that their hands needed to be the counter and not the initiator. 

Certainly going to be interesting to see how this group adjusts.

12 Brian Burns, EDGE
30 Noah Fant, TE
44 Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S
75 Terry McLaurin, WR

Notes:

I left Isabella - the top rated WR by that time - and selected the second highest - McLaurin. Think he's got more upside at the next level.
This addresses the major food groups I want taken care of. You guys can fill out the rest of the draft roster :)

8 hours ago, SAM said:

The Pack passed on Myles Jack.

So did the entire league and rightfully so. His rookie year he didn't do anything. In his last 2 years he's essentially been what you think a second round LB should be (starter, 4-5 splash plays a year)

All health issues are kind of independently exclusive.

30 minutes ago, Leader said:

12 Brian Burns, EDGE
30 Noah Fant, TE
75 Terry McLaurin, WR

Notes:

I left Isabella - the top rated WR by that time - and selected the second highest - McLaurin. Think he's got more upside at the next level.
This addresses the major food groups I want taken care of. You guys can fill out the rest of the draft roster :)

Gross. 

;)

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Things might be different with the new coaching group, but Dillard's lack of anchor would have been a problem with the old group. If you can't get punched in the chest and hold up a bit, you didn't belong on the OL who was being taught that their hands needed to be the counter and not the initiator. 

I can't imagine our starting tackles are going to change anything in their pass pro, but I really do wonder what a different scheme and OL coach will do for Spriggs.  He really struggled with his anchor, which is a problem if you're going to let the DL get hands inside while you try to re-set and get hands outside on a DE's shoulder pads.

After the first year and a half of struggles with that technique I thought the coaches should have just let Spriggs get his hands inside like most do...

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

While I feel he had a better anchor at that stage, Bak’s big issue coming out was strength and anchor against bull rush IIRC as well. Now he’s one of the stronger guys on the team according to an interview I saw with him and Linsley. Point is you can add strength, can’t make someone a better athlete.

I get both points but I think long run he’s a great prospect even in this scheme. Just not sure I love him at 12, certainly at 30. 

4 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

While I feel he had a better anchor at that stage, Bak’s big issue coming out was strength and anchor against bull rush IIRC as well. Now he’s one of the stronger guys on the team according to an interview I saw with him and Linsley. Point is you can add strength, can’t make someone a better athlete.

I get both points but I think long run he’s a great prospect even in this scheme. Just not sure I love him at 12, certainly at 30. 

While Dillard's strength is his athleticism and feet, I'm struggling to find anyone that says he lacks anchor at all. At most I've seen that he has an inconsistent one, which as you said is something that can be worked on.

51 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As a CB?  Or as a safety?  I think someone's going to run him out there as a CB.  Wouldn't surprise me if Seattle had him graded really high.

Not sure on Savage, but Thornhill has CB experience in college. 

51 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If I'm reading this right, they're moving up from 30 but down from 44?

Right.  Kind of similar to the 09 draft.  2 guys you really like.  If you took one at 12, but didn't think the 2nd guy would last until 30.  Just curious how far that would get us.

4 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Right.  Kind of similar to the 09 draft.  2 guys you really like.  If you took one at 12, but didn't think the 2nd guy would last until 30.  Just curious how far that would get us.

I don't think we're going to do that kind of swap.  Probably just cleaner to use our 3rd round pick, and if we really want a pick in that 3rd round range we would trade down from 44.  Just kinda depends on how the board breaks.  Our 3rd round pick gets us to roughly Seattle's pick, and rumor has that they're interested in trading down again.  Have to imagine having history from last year tends to help, and if someone fell from who they were considering at 12 I think they'd pull the trigger.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

12 Brian Burns, EDGE
30 Noah Fant, TE
75 Terry McLaurin, WR

Notes: I left Isabella - the top rated WR by that time - and selected the second highest - McLaurin. Think he's got more upside at the next level.

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Gross. ;)

How so? Position groups selected or individual players?

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think we're going to do that kind of swap.  Probably just cleaner to use our 3rd round pick, and if we really want a pick in that 3rd round range we would trade down from 44.  Just kinda depends on how the board breaks.  Our 3rd round pick gets us to roughly Seattle's pick, and rumor has that they're interested in trading down again.  Have to imagine having history from last year tends to help, and if someone fell from who they were considering at 12 I think they'd pull the trigger.

Wait.  The Saints gave up a first and fifth round pick to move from 27 to 14.  Could the 75th could get us from 30 to 21?  That seems like not nearly enough to me.

Edit: now I see that this is pretty much the exact trade that we did last year to move from 27 to 18.  Nevermind.

Archived