2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

22 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I love their podcast as an entertainment piece, but they are almost never right about the Packers 

Anyone remember when the last time was that one of the premier "draft experts" associated with a high profile company that covers the NFL correctly predicted a Packers first round pick?  It might have been A.J. Hawk.

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Anyone remember when the last time was that one of the premier "draft experts" associated with a high profile company that covers the NFL correctly predicted a Packers first round pick?  It might have been A.J. Hawk.

Raji, Haha

Ya'll know how many sub 6'0" + sub 200 pound players have been drafted in the 1st Round to play safety in the NFL in the last decade? 

Zero

The only 2 sub 6'0" + sub 200 pound players that have been drafted to play safety in the Top 50 in the last decade are Budda Baker (#36) and Lemarcus Joyner (#41). 

If you want count Randall among them (#30), that's fine, but he almost certainly wouldn't have been drafted until the 2nd round if Green Bay didn't draft him to play CB. 

20 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Ya'll know how many sub 6'0" + sub 200 pound players have been drafted in the 1st Round to play safety in the NFL in the last decade? 

Zero

The only 2 sub 6'0" + sub 200 pound players that have been drafted to play safety in the Top 50 in the last decade are Budda Baker (#36) and Lemarcus Joyner (#41). 

If you want count Randall among them (#30), that's fine, but he almost certainly wouldn't have been drafted until the 2nd round if Green Bay didn't draft him to play CB. 

Honey Badger maybe

41 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Zero

Jimmie Ward 

CHTV Mock Draft:

Round 1 Pick 12: Trade!!! The Packers trade the 12th pick overall to Oakland for the 24th and 35th picks.

Round 1 Pick 24: Devin Bush LB, Michigan

Round 1 Pick 30: Trade!!! The Packers trade the 30th overall pick to Indianapolis for the 34th, 135th, and 164th picks.

Round 2 Pick 34 (From Indy): Juan Thornhill S, Virginia

Round 2 Pick 35: (From Oakland): Kaleb McGary OT, Washington

Round 2 Pick 44: Irv Smith Jr. TE, Alabama

Round 3 Pick 75: Chase Winovich Edge, Michigan

Round 4 Pick 114: Trade!!! The Packers trade picks 114, 150, and 185 to Washington for the 96th overall pick.

Round 3 Pick 96: Oshane Ximines Edge, Old Dominion

Round 4 Pick 118: David Long CB, Michigan

Round 4 Pick 135 (From Indy): Ryquell Armstead RB, Temple

Round 5 Pick 164 (From Indy): Armon Watts DT, Arkansas

Round 6 Pick 194: Stanley Morgan WR, Nebraska

Round 7 Pick 226: Derwin Gray OT, Maryland

Trades:

1. Pick 12 to Oakland for picks 24 and 35.

2. Pick 30 to Indianapolis for Picks 34, 135, and 164. 

3. Picks 114, 150, and 185 for Pick 96. 

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

CHTV Mock Draft:

Round 1 Pick 12: Trade!!! The Packers trade the 12th pick overall to Oakland for the 24th and 35th picks.

Round 1 Pick 24: Devin Bush LB, Michigan

Round 1 Pick 30: Trade!!! The Packers trade the 30th overall pick to Indianapolis for the 34th, 135th, and 164th picks.

Round 2 Pick 34 (From Indy): Juan Thornhill S, Virginia

Round 2 Pick 35: (From Oakland): Kaleb McGary OT, Washington

Round 2 Pick 44: Irv Smith Jr. TE, Alabama

Round 3 Pick 75: Chase Winovich Edge, Michigan

Round 4 Pick 114: Trade!!! The Packers trade picks 114, 150, and 185 to Washington for the 96th overall pick.

Round 3 Pick 96: Oshane Ximines Edge, Old Dominion

Round 4 Pick 118: David Long CB, Michigan

Round 4 Pick 135 (From Indy): Ryquell Armstead RB, Temple

Round 5 Pick 164 (From Indy): Armon Watts DT, Arkansas

Round 6 Pick 194: Stanley Morgan WR, Nebraska

Round 7 Pick 226: Derwin Gray OT, Maryland

Trades:

1. Pick 12 to Oakland for picks 24 and 35.

2. Pick 30 to Indianapolis for Picks 34, 135, and 164. 

3. Picks 114, 150, and 185 for Pick 96. 

Awful

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol at 12th for 24th and 35th. 

Havent you been talking about something similar?
I dont think Bush will last that long.....but I probably have a skewed perspective that a lot of players wont last as long as they do.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Havent you been talking about something similar?
I dont think Bush will last that long.....but I probably have a skewed perspective that a lot of players wont last as long as they do.

Yeah, a 2020 first round pick.  Only way in hell I consider trading below 17th overall is if I'm getting a future 1st in the deal.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, a 2020 first round pick.  Only way in hell I consider trading below 17th overall is if I'm getting a future 1st in the deal.

Okay.

I'm not a fan of trading down.
Nor am I a fan of Irv Smith Junior. I'm sure I'm probably wrong about this, but I look at him and I see RR. Bad comp I'm sure...just a personal thing. Nor am I a fan of Winovich. I'm sure I'm probably wrong about this as well, but he looks like a "type" to me and I dont think he's strong enough. Others have pointed out on here his good qualities......so, since mine are impressions only, if we draft him, I'll ride with them and hope for the best.

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

:)

Okay....without killing it dead.....what stands out to you? The players selected? The positions?

Here was my reply to that draft by David Michalski on CheeseheadTV. I've just copy/pasted my response here. I didn't much like the picks, but i took most issue with the trade scenarios.

I think you are so wedded to the idea of trading up, you aren't looking at whether the trade makes sense from the other teams perspective.

The Oakland trade doesn't make much sense from Oakland's point of view (plus they lose out by 90 points on J.J.'s chart).

The Indy trade is them giving up three picks to move up just four spots when they already have another pick 4 spots BEFORE GB's 30th.

The Washington trade makes no sense at all, from their perspective. They already have 2x5ths a 6th and 2x7ths, so getting more lower picks for the loss of a much higher pick seems unlikely..

If you want a trade (up) to make sense from both sides, I'll give you a better example. Green Bay wishes to move up from their 3rd round (#75) pick. They target KC at #61 (worth 292 points on the J.J. trade value chart).

Packers give up their #75, a 4th (#114) and a 6th (#194), a total worth of 294.4 points. After the trade, they still have 4th and 6th round picks left. With the trade KC spreads out it's picks better (they had #61 AND #63 before they traded), they get a 3rd rounder a full 17 picks before their own pick, they get a 4th rounder, which they don't have, and the extra 6th is just to balance value. It all makes sense from both sides.

Given the 2x 4ths and 2x 6ths the Packers have, moving up SOMEWHERE is very possible, but my 'most likely' scenario is that they trade back using one of their first round picks, then use that extra ammo gained along with the extra 4th and 6th picks to move up a good distance either from round two (#44) or most likely, round three (#75).

Archived