2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

How so? Position groups selected or individual players?

I think that if we select Burns it will be after a small trade down. I'm not a fan of Fant in the first. I don't think CGJ fits our athletic profile. And I'm a fan of McLaurin but I don't think he'll be available in the third.

1 minute ago, Cheech said:

Wait.  The Saints gave up a first and fifth round pick to move from 27 to 14.  Could the 75th could get us from 30 to 21?  That seems like not nearly enough to me.

The problem was the Saints lacked a SRP to make any kind of substantial move up.  Not to mention, you could easily make an argument that Marcus Davenport would have graded out higher than the hypothetical player we're discussing at 21.  The higher you go up the board, the more teams are going to want.  So the difference between dropping from 14 to 27 (13 spots) should be more than 21 to 30 (9 spots).  Not only are you moving down more spots in the first trade, but you're moving down from a significantly more premium pick (14 vs. 21).  In 2017, the Falcons gave up a 3rd and 7th to move from 31 to 26.  The Broncos made a similar trade up in 2016 for Paxton Lynch.  Back in 2013, the Falcons dealt a 3rd round pick to move up from 30 to 22, so it seems a ~3rd round pick is roughly the cost.  Just depends on how much Seattle wants to move back.

2 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I think that if we select Burns it will be after a small trade down. I'm not a fan of Fant in the first. I don't think CGJ fits our athletic profile. And I'm a fan of McLaurin but I don't think he'll be available in the third.

Who (or what position group) would you prefer at 12?

Before My Soapbox Breaks

By Outpost31

Chapter One: Look At These Names

AZ (3) - Bryant Johnson WR, Michael Floyd WR, Jonathan Cooper G.
ATL - Julio Jones
Baltimore - Mark Clayton
Buffalo - Sammy Watkins, Lee Evans
CHI - Kevin White, Kyle Long
CIN - John Ross, AJ Green, Tyler Eiffert, Jermaine Gresham, Billy Price
Den - D. Thomas, Ashley Lelie
CLE - Braylon Edwards, Corey Coleman, Kellen Winslow, Alex Mack, Jeff Faine
DAL - Zack Martin
DET - Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Pettigrew, Eric Ebron
GB - Javon Walker
HOU - Will Fuller, Andre Johnson
IND - Q. Nelson, Ryan Kelly
JAX - Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Justin Blackmon
KAN - Dwayne Bowe
LAC - Mike Williams
MIA - Davante parker, Ted Ginn
MIN - Laquon Treadwell, Troy Williamson, Percy Harvin
NE - Daniel Graham
NYG - ODB, Evan Engram, Jeremy Shockey
NOR - Brandin Cooks, Donte Stallworth
OAK - Darrius Heyward-Bey, Amari Cooper
PHI - Nelson Agholor, Jeremy Maclin, Danny Watkins
PIT - Maurkice Pouncey
SF - Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Mike Iupati
LAR - Tavon Austin
TAM - Mike Evans, Michael Clayton, OJ Howard, Davin Joseph
TEN - Corey Davis, Kendall Wright, Chance warmack
WAS - John Doctson

Sources:

The aforementioned names are all non-premium positions drafted 1st overall to 23rd overall since 2002 (the first year we had 32 teams)

Chapter Two: The Leftovers

-66 non-premium positions drafted top 23 out of 391 players selected top 23 (16%). 
-The following players were NOT busts

Julio Jones, Kyle Long, AJ Green, Alex Mack, Zack Martin, Calvin Johnson, Will Fuller, Andre Johnson, Q. Nelson, Ryan Kelly, ODB, Evan Engram, Brandin Cooks, Amari Cooper, Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Evans, OJ Howard.

Three of those players were traded due to poor performance, mystery reasons (Cooks) or poor behavior.  That leaves 14/66 having been worth the top 23 selection.  The teams who had those non-busts, non-traded picks were the Falcons, Bears, Bengals, Browns, Cowboys, Lions, Texans, Colts, Giants, Saints, Raiders, Steelers, Buccaneers.  Zero Super Bowl wins between those teams. 

Chapter Three: The Culprits

To those who constantly say there is no such thing as value/non value and that teams don't agree, here is the number of non-premium selections by teams who have done it since 2002:

Note the teams who have done it three or more times. 

Philadelphia is the single solitary outlier of teams to have post-season success doing it three or more times.  The Giants did it once with Shockey and won a Super Bowl in which Shockey did not take part.  Otherwise, they have fallen apart since picking ODB instead of Aaron Donald.  For the Eagles, Agholor, Maclin and Watkins were all busts.  They won in spite of those picks, and with a new GM who has happened to focus on premium positions since taking over.  Jacksonville, Arizona, Tennessee, Tampa Bay... Laughably low levels of success. 

Then you've got the two main culprits.  The three poster children teams for NOT going heavy on non-premium.  The teams that have constantly and repeatedly taken top 23 non-premium positions.  The wildly successful Lions, Bengals and Browns franchises of lore.  The teams with zero playoff wins this century. 

CIN (5) - John Ross, AJ Green, Tyler Eiffert, Jermaine Gresham, Billy Price
CLE (5) Braylon Edwards, Corey Coleman, Kellen Winslow, Alex Mack, Jeff Faine
DET (5) Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Pettigrew, Eric Ebron
TAM (4) Mike Evans, Michael Clayton, OJ Howard, Davin Joseph
TEN (3) Corey Davis, Kendall Wright, Chance warmack
AZ (3) - Bryant Johnson WR, Michael Floyd WR, Jonathan Cooper G.
MIN (3) Laquon Treadwell, Troy Williamson, Percy Harvin
JAX (3) Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Justin Blackmon
NYG (3) ODB, Evan Engram, Jeremy Shockey
SF (3) Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Mike Iupati
PHI (3) Nelson Agholor, Jeremy Maclin, Danny Watkins
Buffalo (2) - Sammy Watkins, Lee Evans
CHI (2) - Kevin White, Kyle Long
Den (2) D. Thomas, Ashley Lelie
HOU (2) Will Fuller, Andre Johnson
IND (2) Q. Nelson, Ryan Kelly
MIA (2) Davante parker, Ted Ginn
NOR (2) Brandin Cooks, Donte Stallworth
OAK (2) Darrius Heyward-Bey, Amari Cooper
LAR (1) Tavon Austin
WAS (1) John Doctson
PIT (1) Maurkice Pouncey
NE (1) Daniel Graham
KAN (1) Dwayne Bowe
LAC (1) Mike Williams
DAL (1) Zack Martin
GB (1) Javon Walker
ATL (1) - Julio Jones
Baltimore (1) - Mark Clayton

Disclaimer: I did not do ILB because the season finder has difficulty differentiating between ILB and OLB. 

Conclusion - We can't follow these teams if we want to have success in Aaron's final years. 

9 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I think we like, in order, Oliver, Sweat, Dillard, then Burns there. 

Okay. I've pretty much resigned myself to Oliver being gone. So he's "off my board" if you would. If both Oliver and Burns were available at 12 - I'd take Oliver.

Sweat - I like Burns better and if both are available - I'd take Burns - especially with Sweat's heart issue.
Dillard - I'd rather not burn a 12 on a RT. Simple personal preference.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Okay. I've pretty much resigned myself to Oliver being gone. So he's "off my board" if you would. If both Oliver and Burns were available at 12 - I'd take Oliver.

Sweat - I like Burns better and if both are available - I'd take Burns - especially with Sweat's heart issue.
Dillard - I'd rather not burn a 12 on a RT. Simple personal preference.

With Sweat I see a player that is stronger, better against the run, and Burns' equal when it comes to athleticism. Burns can turn the corner a bit faster, but can he do that at Sweat's weight? I'm not sure. That's what puts him down for me.

I don't necessarily care where we play Dillard, I just think he's a better overall player than Burns is and I think you can't have enough good offensive linemen. 

13 minutes ago, deathstar said:

With Sweat I see a player that is stronger, better against the run, and Burns' equal when it comes to athleticism. Burns can turn the corner a bit faster, but can he do that at Sweat's weight? I'm not sure. That's what puts him down for me.

I don't necessarily care where we play Dillard, I just think he's a better overall player than Burns is and I think you can't have enough good offensive linemen. 

I agree on Dillard and agree with Leader on Sweat with the heart issue. It will surprise me if Burns is a top 15 pick on Thursday. It absolutely could happen because of the value placed on pass rushers. I don't see him as a top 15 player in this draft. 

Perfect scenario is one of the wanted QB's sitting there at 12 and we have Miami, Washington and NYG bidding for our pick. Giants give us 17 in 1 and 5 in two I'm in. Then maybe you still get Dillard or Burns. 

24 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Why pick 1 to 23? What does arbitrarily labeling 25% of the group successes for 1 position group and not comparing it to another tell you?

I've obviously spent a lot of time on this theory, and I've for a long time maintained that 24th overall is where the cutoff point is.  Meaning, the value typically available at 24 makes non-premium positions worth the investment.

Archived