2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Would be easier if we knew how the Packers view Amos. 

THe nice thing is the GB front office likely knows how they view Amos and will be making the decision on what type of safety they need to pair along side of him.  Whether that is already on the roster, or will be acquired via draft or other means in TBD.

12 hours ago, Leader said:

12 - Brian Burns, EDGE
30 - T.J. Hockenson, TE
44 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S
75 - Jachai Polite, EDGE
114 - Ugochukwu Amadi, S
118 - Kahale Warring, TE

Two EDGE, TE and S

Haven't done any mocks here this year...............so here is my take

My guess at the who Packers pick in 2019

1a) OT Andre Dillard Washington St. Super athleticism, but needs a year for technique and strength work, lucky Bulaga is still here this year. 
1b) DL Jerry Tillery Notre Dame Much improved in his final year. One of a handful of DL's with good pass-rush skills (ie Quinnen Williams, Jeffery Simmons and Christian Wilkins). Underrated as he has been a little inconsistent in the past.
2) FS Gardner-Johnson  Florida. You want a FS, then he has the stockiness, fluidity, speed and burst, motor, all the good stuff. Only decent FS in this draft are Deionte Thompson, Nasir Adderley, Darnell Savage, maybe Juan Thornhill, not much else.
* I have only one 4th and 6th round pick here, because I think the Packers will move up for someone, maybe Gardner-Johnson, and double picks in any round are ripe for trading.
3) Edge Anthony Nelson Iowa. Terrific size, (6'7” is Charles Omenihu size), but plays with more physicality and fire, and will be a better player. Could be very good in a years time.
4*)TE Jace Sternberger Texas A&M Plays faster than he times (mid 4.7's), very fluid mover, good out of his breaks for a big guy.
5) RB Devine Ozigbo Nebraska. Has a 'Packers' RB build at 5'11 222 lbs. Powerful and explosive - 'one year wonder'.
6*) WR Jeff Smith Boston   6'1”, 195, 4.34 40, 36.5” vertical 10' 7” long jump, 6.87 3cone. ST returner prospect.
7) S Zedrick Woods Mississippi  He might be a bit stiff, but a 4.29 40 says he can be a good ST player

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My favourites for 2019 (each pick has an alternative)
Trade a 3rd #75, 4th #114, 6th #194 (=294.4 points) for KC's late 2nd #61 (=292 points). This allows Packers to get OT Tytus Howard. Why does this make sense from both sides ?
The trade costs several picks, but allow the Packers to have someone in place (with a year under their belt) for when Bulaga moves on after 2019. The picks they give up in the 4th and 6th are rounds where they have two picks, so they can afford that. It makes good sense from  KC's perspective, as they have two picks together (at #61 and #63), so a trade allows them both to spread things out between picks, AND get a fourth rounder that they currently don't have, plus an extra 6th just to balance the value (KC had #61, #63, #92, #167......................with the trade they will have #63, #75, ,#92, #114, #167 - plus #194 later).

(#12)  Edge Clelin Ferrell, Clemson, (2nd is Brian Burns)
(#30)  DT Jeffery Simmons, Miss. St.(2nd is Jerry Tillery)
(#44)  FS Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida (2nd is Nasir Adderley)
(#61)  OT Tytus Howard Alabama St. (2nd is Dave Edwards)
(#118) TE Foster Moreau LSU  (2nd is Jace Sternberger)
(#150) RB Elijah Holyfield (2nd is Ryquell Armstead)
(#185) WR Jeff Smith (2nd is Hunter Renfrow)
(#226) RB Reggie Corbin (2nd is S Zedrick Woods)

Clelin Ferrell has been my favourite for ages. In a lesser year for edge guys he'd be gone by #12, but with J.Bosa, J.Allen, M.Sweat, B.Burns and even R.Gary muddying the water, he lasts to #12. He lacks the 40 time of Sweat and the speed and bend of Burns, but I think he is just a very good football player who plays better than the sum of his parts and has the capability of a long and very successful career.

DT Jeffery Simmons is a dominant defensive lineman who does it all. He is one of less than a handful of DT types that can really pressure the pocket (Q.Williams,Wilkins and Tillery are the others). We all know the only reason he is still on the board is his ACL, he'd probably be a top 5 pick otherwise, certainly top 10.

FS Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Hard to say who is better between him and Adderley, both could really help at FS. See my surprise addition at the bottom of my post for a surprise alternative if both CGJ and Adderley are gone. 

OT Tytus Howard has all the athletic ability you want to see. He needs strength and technique work (as most OTs do these days). With Bulaga still with us in 2019, he can get the NFL coaching and S&C he needs. Basically he is another shot at finding the athletic starter-level OT, as Spriggs was.

TE Foster Moreau is an experienced outside zone blocker of the type La Fleur will need to make his run game go. He also has enough speed to be a decent pass catcher.

RB Elijah Holyfield should be a great fit for LaFleur's outside zone system. Has a body like Adonis (his dad is Evander Holyfield) and is very powerful and with great vision. His awful 4.78 40 was repeated at his pro-day, but he isn't slow on the field. That 40 time drops him to round 5.

WR Jeff Smith With 6th and 7th round picks you are looking for ST guys and one elite trait. WR Jeff Smith has one, speed. 6'0”, 191lb, 4.35 40, 36.5” vert, 10' 7” long jump, 6.87 3cone, 15 reps.

RB Reggie Corbin 5'10”, 200lb, He isn't Tariq Cohen, but he's pretty good at making people look stupid as he sidesteps them. COD is his elite trait. Another candidate for ST.

Finally, I have a dark horse pick at #44. It is Penn State CB Amani Oruwariye. His weakness as a CB is struggling if beaten in press coverage and not being comfortable with his back to the ball. I'd say move him to deep safety to take best advantage of his size (6'1.5", 204lb), speed (4.47 40), agility (6.82 3cone) and instincts, while masking his shortcomings. Looking at his four scouting reports HERE https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/amani-oruwariye   it says to me here is a potential high-quality safety waiting to emerge. Now if the Packers want to keep a safety spot open for their current CB Josh Jackson (he has similar issues to Oruwariye) then it's unlikely they take Oruwariye, but if they think Jackson's future is at CB, then Oruwariye makes sense to me.

Acme Packing:

12 - Montez Sweat, EDGE - Mississippi State

13 MIA - Jawaan Taylor OT
14 ATL - Jonah Williams OT
15 WAS - Clelin Ferrell EDGE
16 CAR - Andre Dillard OT
17 NYG (via CLE) Rashan Gary EDGE
18 MIN Cody Ford G
19 TEN Garrett Bradbury IOL
20 PIT Byron Murphy CB
21 SEA Jerry Tillery DT
22 BAL  DK. Metcalf WR
23 HOU Greedy Williams CB
24 OAK (via CHI)Noah Fant TE
25 PHI Christian Wilkins DT
26 IND Jeffery Simmons DT
27 OAK (via DAL) Nasir Adderley S
28 LAC  Dalton Risner OT
29 KC Hakeem Butler WR

30 - (via NO) Chris Lindstrom, OL - Boston College

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Acme Packing:

12 - Montez Sweat, EDGE - Mississippi State

30 - (via NO) Chris Lindstrom, OL - Boston College

Last night ESPN had their two draft 'experts' McShay and Kiper do a mock draft. They had Lindstrom at 12 and Fant at 30 for us. Heads on this board would explode if it played out that way. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Last night ESPN had their two draft 'experts' McShay and Kiper do a mock draft. They had Lindstrom at 12 and Fant at 30 for us. Heads on this board would explode if it played out that way. 

:)

With the amount of talent on the board at 12......I'd personally be disappointed if we went OL.....and Lindstrom's been a name on the outskirts of those I'm aware of.

My gut says Gute will trade down from 12. If he can't find a trade partner, he'll take Dillard. Dillard is a safe choice and replaces Bulaga after this season. A safe choice at 12 allows Gute to gamble at 30. Probably takes someone who slides because of injury concerns. Simmons? Sweat? #44 will be a skill position, either S, CB, or slot receiver. I'm sure I'm wrong!

9 hours ago, cannondale said:

I think they view him as an all around  guy, but history says he's a better fit at SS.  The Packers should be looking to add a top flight FS candidate in the first three rounds.  If by chance the Packers have Amos pegged as their single high safety then Abram moves to the top of their wish list.  He's going to be a very good SS in this league.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

My gut says Gute will trade down from 12. If he can't find a trade partner, he'll take Dillard. Dillard is a safe choice and replaces Bulaga after this season. A safe choice at 12 allows Gute to gamble at 30. Probably takes someone who slides because of injury concerns. Simmons? Sweat? #44 will be a skill position, either S, CB, or slot receiver. I'm sure I'm wrong!

I think RT will be on Gute's mind quite a bit on draft day .. someone is going to have to block Khalil Mack for years to come.  

SI :: Five NFL General Managers Under the Most Pressure on Draft Day

1. Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals
2. Mike Maccagnan, New York Jets
3. David Caldwell, Jacksonville Jaguars
4. Jason Licht, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5. Dave Gettleman, New York Giants

11 hours ago, cannondale said:

I think Hooker and Amos have a lot in common.  Hooker has better instincts and ball skills, but both are versatile safeties.  

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

What happens to this board when we draft Nasir Adderly or Chauncey Gardner-Johnson 12th overall and Byron Murphy 30th overall?

I could see it the other way around and while I wouldn't like it. I'd like it a hell of a lot more than Lindstrom at 12 and Fant at 30 as ESPN suggested last night. 

Archived