Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

I'm not as bullish on Anthony Richardson as others.  How many other inexperienced QB's that rely on mobility have come in and succeeded to that level?  

16 starts or less recent QB's:

Mitchell Trubisky

Trey Lance

Mark Sanchez

Dwayne Haskins

Cam Newton

Kyler Murray

So you look at that you have 4 straight up busts, 1 verge of bust, and 1 overrated.

My stupid internet argument of the day is Jason Witten is overrated, Heath Miller is underrated, and if you leveled out opportunity on a per catch performance, catch rate, and TD rate, Miller would be ahead of Witten in all statistical categories. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

My stupid internet argument of the day is Jason Witten is overrated, Heath Miller is underrated, and if you leveled out opportunity on a per catch performance, catch rate, and TD rate, Miller would be ahead of Witten in all statistical categories. 

he never did strike the same kind of fear as the other great tight ends of his era

his longevity and playing for Dallas will probably get him in the HOF tho

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, August4th said:

he never did strike the same kind of fear as the other great tight ends of his era

his longevity and playing for Dallas will probably get him in the HOF tho

And the argument devolved into Ken Anderson better than Ben Roethlisberger all time. 

15 hours ago, warfelg said:

Funny thing is, I made a similar argument on NFL Comparisons forum years ago.   I wasnt even saying Heath was better than Witten, but some clown was claiming Heath Miller couldn't hold Witten's jock, and I brought up the differences in offenses and how they were used and how if you switched them around, Heath would have similar career numbers to Witten and vice versa.  

He proceeded to freak out and attack the entire Steelers fanbase...but never actually made an argument to the contrary.  B|

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 8:37 AM, warfelg said:

I'm not as bullish on Anthony Richardson as others.  How many other inexperienced QB's that rely on mobility have come in and succeeded to that level?  

16 starts or less recent QB's:

Mitchell Trubisky

Trey Lance

Mark Sanchez

Dwayne Haskins

Cam Newton

Kyler Murray

So you look at that you have 4 straight up busts, 1 verge of bust, and 1 overrated.

Josh Allen is tricking people into thinking that all QBs can be fixed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Josh Allen is tricking people into thinking that all QBs can be fixed.

It sounds like the Colts are seriously considering starting Richardson week 1.

if that happens you will see some downright horrific games out of him. I am usually a supporter of starting first round QBs early, but in Richardsons case I think they would be making a massive mistake and could potentially ruin him mentally.

9 hours ago, 43M said:

Funny thing is, I made a similar argument on NFL Comparisons forum years ago.   I wasnt even saying Heath was better than Witten, but some clown was claiming Heath Miller couldn't hold Witten's jock, and I brought up the differences in offenses and how they were used and how if you switched them around, Heath would have similar career numbers to Witten and vice versa.  

He proceeded to freak out and attack the entire Steelers fanbase...but never actually made an argument to the contrary.  B|

It’s so funny. I was asked what we expect out of Washington and I said a Witten/Miller like TE where output is opportunity dependent on outside WRs, quality of the OL, and a QB who’s a check down Charlie. 

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

It sounds like the Colts are seriously considering starting Richardson week 1.

if that happens you will see some downright horrific games out of him. I am usually a supporter of starting first round QBs early, but in Richardsons case I think they would be making a massive mistake and could potentially ruin him mentally.

Talking to Colts fans, they are in the same boat as the Steelers last year in that their team is not going anywhere so why not.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I agree with the comments.  How do you know when they have not played a single down.

At the same time - just look at scheme and think about it:

Simpson is a coverage LB who needs things simplified and he got drafted by a team who reportedly has the 2nd most complex scheme out there and ask their LB’s to act as an extra lineman at times.  Baltimore tends to not use their LB’s in coverage much outside of zone and Simpson get’s lost some in that.

Avila is one I question some of this but at the same time it’s a pass first zone block scheme that took a power man blocking interior OL player.  Unless they ask him to anchor some backside things from the center position he’s being to be asked to do things he’s not great at.

Tanner is a traditional pocket passer taken by a team with a heavy RPO that relied on the QB moving and being part of the offense.

Outside of the Steelers, RIchardson inside of an Eagles styled offense is my most exciting pair in the draft. The athleticism is well known for a baseline successful run game, but he seems to have some really solid instincts as a QB. Who knows if it all comes together, but good lord he could be fun to watch (either crashing and burning or becoming a top 2 QB who can only be checked by Mahomes).