Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

On 8/25/2023 at 4:20 PM, DR43 said:

Any chance Kendrick Green makes the team?  The fear is that the team is unwilling to part with such a high draft pick.

This thread is for non Steelers stuff....but.....

There are numerous bad players we have hung onto for far too long over the years.    Green was a 3rd round pick, so while it sucks, if he isnt one of the best guys or he is going to cost us a better player, he needs to go.

I said going into the offseason that if Kendrick Green didnt show growth going into his 3rd year, they needed to cut him loose.    Ive seen absolutely nothing from him that makes me believe he is worth a roster spot.     The guy is trash.     Id rather pick up a rookie UDFA and put them on the roster.    They might suck, but at least they may have some type of upside.   When a bad rookie doesnt make notable strides in their first 3 preseaasons....things are highly unlikely to get better.     Most late bloomers at least flash their upside.   Ive seen nothing like that from Green.

Although I wont be shocked if he sticks around until the end of his rookie contract.  

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Something to keep and eye on.  Will Bosa hold out?  He is in his 5th season and is currently holding out for a better contract.

It’s sounding like he will. I thought last year was kinda obvious how badly they need him. 

Chris Jones indicated he’s willing to go to week8. 

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think they will play hardball at least through this first game.  If the Steelers win then advantage Bosa but then I do not know their cap situation but it can't be that bad.  No franchise QB.

They have ~$12 mil in space. But next year does not look good.  Armstead is $24mil cap hit, and likely an easy cut to save $15mil.  Trent Williams is the tough call.  $26mil cap hit and will be 36 by the time the season starts; yet he’s been playing some great ball.  Kittle, Deebo, and their FB offer about $4.5mil in total savings.

All that said Bosa is a near $18mil hit, so they could advance some og his money to this year and reduce next years cap hit some.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Didn’t he say something along the lines of “doesn’t matter, I’ll still be in the league” when a Steelers reporter asked him about his 5th year option not being picked up?

I can’t imagine he gets another shot after this. What a dumb you know what.

18 hours ago, 43M said:

This thread is for non Steelers stuff....but.....

There are numerous bad players we have hung onto for far too long over the years.    Green was a 3rd round pick, so while it sucks, if he isnt one of the best guys or he is going to cost us a better player, he needs to go.

I said going into the offseason that if Kendrick Green didnt show growth going into his 3rd year, they needed to cut him loose.    Ive seen absolutely nothing from him that makes me believe he is worth a roster spot.     The guy is trash.     Id rather pick up a rookie UDFA and put them on the roster.    They might suck, but at least they may have some type of upside.   When a bad rookie doesnt make notable strides in their first 3 preseaasons....things are highly unlikely to get better.     Most late bloomers at least flash their upside.   Ive seen nothing like that from Green.

Although I wont be shocked if he sticks around until the end of his rookie contract.  

I agree….but he actually looked really, really good starting at right guard against the Falcons. That might have been enough to keep him around, but idk. He should never snap another ball for us though, that’s for sure.

I don't really understand what they are trying to do either, but I am curious if their decisions are driven by cap carry over. They have so very few cuttable contracts in 2024 and they are already listed at $25M over with only 40 some players. Just using the numbers from OverTheCap, but they are listed at $36M under for 2023, so if they carry it all over it's technically $9M under the cap next year. 

Of their cuttable players next year, Amari Cooper and Nick Chubb are the two biggest gains....and two of their best skill players. They would save $24M, but their next biggest cuts are Teller, Bitonio, and Dustin Hopkins which save them a grand total of $8M. So, cap carry over might just be their only answer to getting cap compliant in 24 without losing their top players out of desperation. 

I know they are desperate to make this club a winner, but they seem to be headed towards a point where they either thread a needle and look like geniuses or none of them have jobs in the NFL because it crashed and burned so terribly...and I say that as someone who believes the salary cap is a book you find in the fiction section of a library.