WEEK 3 GDT - Steelers @ Bucs MNF

warfelg

2 hours ago, Livewire said:

Breakdowns on defense? That's a shock.

if we play basic D, it's a start anyways, we need to stop the coverage breakdowns.  What happens after that will be discussed here as usual,  but at least we should be better in the secondary. Did some of the players lose their playbooks? I never understood how a team could have this go on for years like we have.

Maybe I'm naive but how complicated has the Secondary scheme been? Man on and Man off. Some Zone. These are basics and I don't recall any extravagant schemes as far as the Secondary is concerned. Now perhaps Haden was talking about the Defense as a whole and more specifically the front 7. In which case, while I still haven't seen anything all that complicated (certainly not to the LeBeau level) I'll take any type of change given the current results. I'm just not optimistic on how much of a difference it's going to make. 

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Maybe I'm naive but how complicated has the Secondary scheme been? Man on and Man off. Some Zone. These are basics and I don't recall any extravagant schemes as far as the Secondary is concerned. Now perhaps Haden was talking about the Defense as a whole and more specifically the front 7. In which case, while I still haven't seen anything all that complicated (certainly not to the LeBeau level) I'll take any type of change given the current results. I'm just not optimistic on how much of a difference it's going to make. 

These blown assignments didn't look exotic, but if more basic helps , I am on board with such changes, anything helps at this stage.  I don't know how the safety play could get much worse. Then what about tackling, is that next on the repair chart?

With the bucs lacking a run game, I would expect more nickel , Maybe even dime to help stop the pass. Tomlin might as well get some of these safeties out there and see who doesn't forget their assignment and go from there.  They will have to contend with Howard, and Thomas is our only LB that has a chance covering him.  

I still see us making these mistakes and trying to cover a TE  with a traditional LB that doesn't match up well.  Lets hope this is just being pessimistic but history has shown this coaching staff is stubborn about making changes unless they have to. 

These aren't new guys on defense. The simplification argument was made at a time when they were transitioning from Lebeau and also his players to Butler and younger guys. But who are the young guys playing right now on defense? Most are in their third seasons with the team and in this exact scheme. Then you have veterans like Haden and Burnett.

the suspense continues, what will the D decide to do to be consistent and prevent breakdowns.  This could be a turning point if the team actually improves the D and starts winning, but easier said than done with this schedule. I thought thats what training camp and preseason was for. 

Browns finally putting Mayfield in as starter now makes the north a bit more of a challenge. I think the division is going to the last game this year, it should be fun for the fans. 

Yes , the defense is not as good without Shazier but our defense was just average with him and had the same secondary breakdowns.

This team is headed in the wrong direction. Lack of leadership,coaching,talent (on D) and commitment.

3 play off wins in 8 years, our franchise QB is at his end and our next two most talented players want out.

Bucs by 17

1 hour ago, Lambert44 said:

Yes , the defense is not as good without Shazier but our defense was just average with him and had the same secondary breakdowns.

This team is headed in the wrong direction. Lack of leadership,coaching,talent (on D) and commitment.

3 play off wins in 8 years, our franchise QB is at his end and our next two most talented players want out.

Bucs by 17

Finally someone that sees past the loss of Shazier.  We weren't great before his injury and we had one of the easiest schedules. Now without him, were have a very difficult schedule and it's time to make adjustments and see what this team is made of. I will be pleasantly surprised if this team turns it around. The talent is there, but I think the players have to be together and this team is far from that. then there is the coaching, no need to say more about that

@steelcurtain29 or @jebrick can we get a sticky on this? brick, sorry if you aren't a mod. I can never remember anymore.

I think this game will be pretty challenging for our secondary. The Buccs present a pretty formidable set of weapons. They have size(Howard and Evans) and blazing speed(Jackson). Our secondary will be in for a real challenge. I hope they're up for the task, especially the lilliputian Mike Hilton.

As much as I am worried about our defense, I believe this game hinges on the offense. This team is built on the shoulder of Big Ben. If the offense comes out flat, we'll get torched again. They have to come out and hold onto the ball and sustain long drives. The defense is built to play with the lead. They have to stop the run early and force some predictable passing situations. Then, they MUST get pressure with 4 or 5 guys. We need big games from Watt and Dupree, as per usual. 

There has to be marked improvement on both sides of the ball, especially early. Tampa's defense is a lot like ours, or at least it was last time I checked. It is small and fast and built on takeways. That was, of course, before the addition of the behemoth, Vita Vea. If we get down, expect tons of players flying around looking to take Ben's head off. They'll also be looking to jump the horrifically errant passes that Ben is so known for early in seasons.

This game could go any number of directions. If the offense and defense comes out firing on all cylinders we win big. Fitzpatrick isn't good when he's rattled or when his receivers aren't wide open. Unfortunately, he's got guys who are so giant and/or fast they can get open easily. Also, unfortunately for us, the defense really enjoys leaving guys wide open down the field. If one  side of the ball come out flat, expect a shootout. If both sides come out flat, expect TB to get up big and our offense playing catch up all game with our defense leaking like a sieve. It will probably be a high scoring game by at least one team. Hopefully it's us.

I hate to be this guy but I see this as the typical Trap game for the Pittsburgh Steelers albeit they are already 0-1-1.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are playing far above their actual talent level. Or should I say Ryan Fitzpatrick is. This is a game that the Pittsburgh Steelers should be able to win pretty handedly. The Buccaneers would in theory score some points because of our defense but our offense should be able to absolutely light up the secondary of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This in my opinion that we should win by two or maybe even three touchdowns. It is not very often that I do this in it hurts my heart to have to. But my prediction for this game is at if we even turn the ball over one time we lose by two touchdowns.

If we managed to squeak this game out I believe we will win with Chris Boswell finally getting out of his slump with a game-winning field goal that gives us a less than three point advantage.

On 2018-09-21 at 8:15 AM, wwhickok said:

The Steelers have the ability to make an epic turnaround, but it has to start in Week 3. If we Open the season 0-4, we are likely gonna be picking top 10.

Who would you draft if we are picking top 10?

Is that if we open 0-4 and 1 xD

Gilbert will be missed, because Chuks will get a few holding penalties and also allow a few pressures.  Finney never allowed a pressure last week,  I expect the same but the DT's in tampa are good.

just saw that Via is out, maybe we caught a break there. 

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Who would you draft if we are picking top 10?

Is that if we open 0-4 and 1 xD

Gilbert will be missed, because Chuks will get a few holding penalties and also allow a few pressures.  Finney never allowed a pressure last week,  I expect the same but the DT's in tampa are good.

just saw that Via is out, maybe we caught a break there. 

Honestly I dont know enough about the prospects but right now It would likely be a linebacker. (My opinion, not saying thats who they should take, thats what i would)

Archived