What happened to the Saints defense?

Elky

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That's not what I would call a small window throw. The first throw is about as open as you are going to get in the NFL. The second play was closer, but he was still open. Those are two wins for Beckham Jr. that won't show up on the stat-sheet.

The first one at around 1:45 in the video Beckham was certainly open, and it could have been about a 17 yard gain given his proximity to the sideline. The second throw at around 1:50 in the video could have gone for about 12 yards if completed, but Lattimore was right by him about the time the ball got there and it certainly would have been a contested catch had it been a better throw. In other words, if we were to play the "what if" game, maybe Beckham could have had around 75 or so yards lined up with Lattimore if we include those 2 previously mentioned plays with many of those yards being on a garbage time completion in the 4th quarter at around 4:15 in the video where it can very clearly be seen that Lattimore drops way off in essentially a prevent coverage.

im assuming pff has updated latimores grade to reflect his game yesterday, prob shouldnt assume but his grade is different today. They graded him as somewhere around a 67 yesterday, give or take a tenth.

Not a huge fan of pff but for corner play i find it generally a good reference as you cant really judge in game, unless youre totally dominant or completely abused. PFF didnt think highly of lattimores game yesterday (again, if they actually updated to reflect yesterdays game in  its entirety.).

14 hours ago, tyler735 said:

The first one at around 1:45 in the video Beckham was certainly open, and it could have been about a 17 yard gain given his proximity to the sideline. The second throw at around 1:50 in the video could have gone for about 12 yards if completed, but Lattimore was right by him about the time the ball got there and it certainly would have been a contested catch had it been a better throw. In other words, if we were to play the "what if" game, maybe Beckham could have had around 75 or so yards lined up with Lattimore if we include those 2 previously mentioned plays with many of those yards being on a garbage time completion in the 4th quarter at around 4:15 in the video where it can very clearly be seen that Lattimore drops way off in essentially a prevent coverage.

My point is it didn't look like Lattimore was in his hip pocket all afternoon. The words "shut-down" are thrown around too frivolously on here. Lattimore is one of the better corners in the NFL; part of that is slowing down the leagues best receivers. He did that. But to act like he did it single-handedly without safety help or some errant throws on Eli's part is disingenuous. 

15 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

This doesn’t show every snap of course but this video at the very least shows that he notion of Lattimore shutting him down to be rather silly.

Not sure what you're all expecting from Lattimore here. I wouldn't expect any CB in the league to completely "shut down" any of the top WRs. There's a reason OBJ is considered one of the best.....that said, I think that's about what you'd expect from a top CB/WR battle. Win some, lose some. Couple errant throws by Eli would of netted OBJ a few more yards, but Lattimore also didn't give up any home run plays.

The most notables to me were; The throw Eli missed on the near side. The rub route at around 2:05. The very last play where OBJ cuts his route off because Eli was in trouble (but Lattimore continues to run downfield?).

The more important matter here though.......THOSE SAINTS COLOR RUSH UNIFORMS! :x

16 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

This doesn’t show every snap of course but this video at the very least shows that he notion of Lattimore shutting him down to be rather silly.

Yup. I'd like this but I ran out of likes already today.

More than anything I think these highlights emphasize how poor Eli has been. Beyond the OBJ/Lattimore matchup, the guy was facing blitzing looks and failed to signal a hot route or slide protection numerous times in those clips. Especially considering how bad the Giants line has played you'd think that would be a priority. 

Our 1st round pick Marcus Davenport continues to look like he's going to be an absolute beast for years to come. He jas such insane explosion. 2 big sacks so far tonight, and pretty much murdered Alex Smith on the first one:

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Nice little breakdown of some of Davenport's big plays yesterday against one of the best LT's in the NFL. Trading up for him is starting to look like an excellent call by the Saints organization:

Baldy "Like a young Too Tall Jones". I love it!!

Glad to see the Saints defense finally start to come around. They've held opponents to under 20 points 3 of the past 4 games, and have done so the past 2 games. More importantly Lattimore has appeared to regain his form having little problem containing some of the best WR's in the league from week 2 on. We are on bye week now so he should be ready to go. Demario Davis has been an absolute stud all over the field for us, and our pass rush appears to be on the rise with all of our talented D-lineman starting to produce. Looking like we shouldn't have much problem taking the division as the Falcons have a putrid defense, and the Bucs have reverted back to their typical level of play. The Panthers look like the only real threat, but I like our odds against them.

63.8, 53rd raked corner.... weird criteria for coming around. Or are you claiming that pff has a weird bias against lattimore. Davis has played pretty much like he has the past few years, really good except in pass coverage where hes a liability. Kind of a big deal in todays nfl, ideally hes a 2 down guy.

Weird criteria for someone that has claimed (In this thread even- GSUeagles14 "im not a huge believer in pff") they don't think highly of PFF (Unless it fits their strange narrative). Thankfully we've gone over this ad nauseam. Lattimore has done well since his rough week 1 being able to contain Landry, Julio Jones, Beckham. Thankfully we have Davis at MLB this year as he is one of the best blitzing MLB's in the NFL, does a great job against the run, and has really been crucial as a 3 down LB for us this year as PFF has noted that his pass coverage has been much better his past couple seasons as it used to be a weak spot in his game.

Archived