What happened to the Saints defense?

Elky

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

You can say that but the Saints tried to prevent the big play and put their safeties back and the Giants were missing two of their 3 deep targets. So I can see why they set out like that and the Saints sure as heck aren’t gonna let Beckham run deep and be 1v1

Everyone is a deep target against the Saints.

3 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Will the Giants regret going Barkley? I’ve always been a “don’t take HBs early” guy and while I agree Barkley will be one of the best since AP, I just think HBs are so easy to plug in if you have a good OL. Would Giants fans be happier grooming a QBOTF?

Only thing I'm harping on for the Giants is not trading up to grab Lamar Jackson. I like Will Hernandez, but getting Barkley while getting an ultra athletic QB to sit for a year - a guy with higher upside than Herbert, Lock or Grier - they could have fortified the OL in the following draft vs having to research the QBs in a less-than-stellar QB draft.

This isn't even hindsight.

Just now, ET80 said:

Only thing I'm harping on for the Giants is not trading up to grab Lamar Jackson. I like Will Hernandez, but getting Barkley while getting an ultra athletic QB to sit for a year - a guy with higher upside than Herbert, Lock or Grier - they could have fortified the OL in the following draft vs having to research the QBs in a less-than-stellar QB draft.

This isn't even hindsight.

Agreed. You don't have to not take Barkley, but the Giants should've grabbed a QB in this draft. They basically tossed the next two seasons as well.

5 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Lattimore wasn’t playing 1v1 first off so he didn’t shut him down and given the game plan of the Giants he didn’t have to defend much because everything was quick drops.

Yeah he was playing 1v1, or are we going to pretend that since the Saints play with Safety's like the other 31 teams in the NFL that it doesn't count, and yes Lattimore did shut him down. 

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Agreed. You don't have to not take Barkley, but the Giants should've grabbed a QB in this draft. They basically tossed the next two seasons as well.

Unless they know something on Kyle Lauletta that we don't know (which is totally possible, Lauletta was getting the Jimmy G treatment leading up to the draft as the small school kid with big league tools...)

3 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Will the Giants regret going Barkley? I’ve always been a “don’t take HBs early” guy and while I agree Barkley will be one of the best since AP, I just think HBs are so easy to plug in if you have a good OL. Would Giants fans be happier grooming a QBOTF?

Unless someone of Darnold, Rosen or Allen becomes a HOFer, no. The Giants don't have enough talent on the roster right now. They should bolster that talent first and then draft a QB high to contend with that QB while on a rookie deal.

42 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah he was playing 1v1, or are we going to pretend that since the Saints play with Safety's like the other 31 teams in the NFL that it doesn't count, and yes Lattimore did shut him down. 

No you’re just box score scouting. The Saints played their safeties deep which forced the Giants to be conservative. Saying Lattimore shut him down is wilfully ignorant of the context. 

13 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

No you’re just box score scouting. The Saints played their safeties deep which forced the Giants to be conservative. Saying Lattimore shut him down is wilfully ignorant of the context. 

Nope watched the game and spent a lot of time watching the 1v1 between Lattimore and Beckham. 

20 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Nope watched the game and spent a lot of time watching the 1v1 between Lattimore and Beckham. 

99% of the time, it’s going to appear like 1v1 at the snap when watching it live. Seriously. You have no idea of the position of the safety, no idea of how the routes is set up in relation to the drop.

9 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

99% of the time, it’s going to appear like 1v1 at the snap when watching it live. Seriously. You have no idea of the position of the safety, no idea of how the routes is set up in relation to the drop.

It's impossible to see live unless it's SNF and you're watching the overhead view.  Otherwise you have to wait until the All22 comes out later this week.

26 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Every team plays with Safety's who cares if the Saints played a deep Safety. They always do as Marcus Williams excels in the role. The fact of the matter is Beckham didn't do much of anything against Lattimore. You've even stated the Giants dinked and dunked their way most of the game. Meaning Lattimore was responsible for covering Beckham 1v1 on mostly short/intermediate timing routes, which means if the Safety is lined up deep he likely won't be much of a factor on most of the short/intermediate routes being run by Beckham

Just now, tyler735 said:

Every team plays with Safety's who cares if the Saints played a deep Safety. They always do as Marcus Williams excels in the role. The fact of the matter is Beckham didn't do much of anything against Lattimore. You've even stated the Giants dinked and dunked their way most of the game. Meaning Lattimore was responsible for covering Beckham 1v1 on mostly short/intermediate timing routes, which means if the Safety is lined up deep he likely won't be much of a factor on most of the short/intermediate routes being run by Beckham

Like i said a few posts back, you can't really tell without the all-22.  You lose track of the WR about 10-15 yards in, which is about 1 sec after the snap.  There's really no way to judge coverages with the broadcast view.

I'll gladly take this production from Lattimore the past 2 weeks against 2 of the NFL's top 3 WR's. People can come up with every excuse in the book, but if Lattimore continues to cover these top WR's the majority of the time with success like this, I'm perfectly content hearing all these excuses from opposing fans. Lattimore has had 1 bad outing since coming into the league last year. 

"This marks the second week in a row Lattimore has held his own against a top opponent. He paired up against Atlanta’s Julio Jones for most of the first half of last week's game, and then occasionally during the second half as New Orleans mixed things up to try and limit the damage being one by Atlanta's other receivers. He surrendered just one catch for 17 yards to Jones."

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/saints/article_63e43bc0-c51b-11e8-95fe-bbd55cb71a7f.html

28 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Every team plays with safeties, no ****ting me. But the alignment and role of that safety varies from week to week. Your issue is that you seem to think that because Odell was quiet that it was just due to Lattimore. Which is not the case at all.

Archived